House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

'Hidden Households' - Why I shared a bed with my ex for three months

Renting stories: Why I shared a bed with my ex for three months

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/8ee14641-eeca-452f-a41b-4066b6eebc4c

It's thought that 2.5 million Brits like Lucy are in hidden households – people who can't afford to move out of house shares or their parents' homes – or people stuck living with an ex-partner.

That's according to recent research from the National Housing Federation, carried out by Heriot-Watt University using data from the annual Understanding Society survey of 40,000 people by the University of Essex.

A separate study says young people now are poorer than they would have been 18 years ago because of rising housing costs.

Research by the Resolution Foundation published in June suggests today's 18 – 29-year-olds are 7% poorer in real terms than their peers were in 2001

They want to be a 'YouTuber'; a freelance writer; a film maker...

Potless daydreamers finding out what real life is actually all about.

3 hours ago, juvenal said:

Potless daydreamers finding out what real life is actually all about.

Why not day dream?  The days of working on a sensible multiple to get your own house are gone for now.

Why bust a gut for endless 'reviews' and 'restructuring' to get an inflation only payrise? 

Using a career to build a skillset is laughable; you either get offshored or buried under layers of Powerpoint spewing middle management.

The whole point of Capitalism is to build and value Capital by applying it in worthwhile activities; not use it to leverage against others and claims saintliness.

2 hours ago, msi said:

Why not day dream?  The days of working on a sensible multiple to get your own house are gone for now.

Why bust a gut for endless 'reviews' and 'restructuring' to get an inflation only payrise? 

Using a career to build a skillset is laughable; you either get offshored or buried under layers of Powerpoint spewing middle management.

The whole point of Capitalism is to build and value Capital by applying it in worthwhile activities; not use it to leverage against others and claims saintliness.

Wow.  So sad but so true.  Especially the reviews and restructuring bit.   We have "performance reviews" and then everyone in the whole organisation gets the same pay rise (or the same "no pay rise").  It's really hard to keep doing "interested face" when your manager sets you "objectives" for the next year.

Edited by stop_the_craziness
spelling

if you're living with your parents then you're all one household surely

living with 'ex-partner' means you're still one household too, if you were really separated then one of you would move out duh

lodging and HMOs different of course

34 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Wow.  So sad but so true.  Especially the reviews and restructuring bit.   We have "performance reviews" and then everyone in the whole organisation gets the same pay rise (or the same "no pay rise").  It's really hard to keep doing "interested face" when your manager sets you "objectives" for the next year.

Unfortunately the only way to get a decent pay rise is to move to another job.

Have dependencies and you are screwed if you have no in demand skills.

I was told to "hush down" in a team building exercise as my retort Was why bother to do anything I get the same at the end of the month and at the end of the year.

Making friends LOL