House Price Crash Forum
bear.getting.old

Baby stabbed to death in Newcastle but the paper has to publish the house price

2 hours ago, bear.getting.old said:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/mother-baby-stabbed-death-wallsend-17169955

" The Chronicle understands she bought the two bedroom property for £65,000. "

Why oh why do these papers alway have to bring the property price into everything? Tragic story it was a flat BTW.

I think it just lends context to the story for reasons of sensationalism and judgement, even though most would probably argue that it's wrong. It seems like an automatic thing that's not even conscious. It's the same as age. A person's age is more or less irrelevant in most news stories, yet they always put something like "Joe Bloggs, 53, was said to be fuming after thieves lured his prized cat with a tuna steak, then made off with it".

A £65k flat in Newcastle or a £3million house in Chelsea lends context as to the 'type' of people in the story, and I doubt papers would sell as well if everything was neutralised, as sensationalism and judgement are the things which give stories juice.  

29 minutes ago, Orb said:

I think it just lends context to the story for reasons of sensationalism and judgement, even though most would probably argue that it's wrong. It seems like an automatic thing that's not even conscious. It's the same as age. A person's age is more or less irrelevant in most news stories, yet they always put something like "Joe Bloggs, 53, was said to be fuming after thieves lured his prized cat with a tuna steak, then made off with it".

A £65k flat in Newcastle or a £3million house in Chelsea lends context as to the 'type' of people in the story, and I doubt papers would sell as well if everything was neutralised, as sensationalism and judgement are the things which give stories juice.  

Agreed. Much as it’s annoying and even distasteful it does add context that helps readers picture the story, which is why they do it. 

“Theives break into £2 million house and murder man aged 72” is different to “Thieves break into £65,000 house and murder man aged 72” and both help to picture the scene better than “Thieves break into house and kill man”

The one that annoys me most is when people are described as “woman, 29” if they don’t have children and “mother; 29” if they do, as if to Just add a slight dig at those in without children to remind them that society is just that little bit less concerned when bad things happen to them...

Having thought about it this afternoon it now seems to be like they were saying:

'Baby killed in this street - but look you can get a flat here for 65k'. Then hope you'll go to the property listings in the paper.  Hey let's not pass up a chance to promote the property market. These papers all revolve around advertising and property is one big revenue stream for them.

Or maybe I think too much