House Price Crash Forum
Saving For a Space Ship

The solution to ageing Britain’s housing crisis? Build Almshouses

4 minutes ago, regprentice said:

Apart from the stipulation that there is a central courtyard I don't see how these differ in any way from normal retirement homes? 

Alms houses are run by charities, offering cheap accommodation.

Retirement living places are run by the like of Mccarthy n Stone who operate a horrendous charges and leasehold system, designed to strip every bit of cash from OAPs.

I can see the appela of Almhouses for some people.

I cant see the appeal of Mccarthy n Stone for anyone.

There are some alms houses near where my Grandma used to live.  I think they actually work very well.  They are very little houses, all on the ground floor, which is what you want when you're 90+.  The only thing I'm not sure they do is scale up - you could have a dozen i'm sure around a little courtyard and it sounds nice, but I'm not sure you could build sufficient thousands of homes one courtyard of a dozen at a time to cover all of the growing extreme elderly population.  But it's all helpful.

2 hours ago, spyguy said:

Retirement living places are run by the like of Mccarthy n Stone who operate a horrendous charges and leasehold system, designed to strip every bit of cash from OAPs.

I can see the appela of Almhouses for some people.

I cant see the appeal of Mccarthy n Stone for anyone.

Could be funded with Boris or Corbyn Bonds after the election. Both excitedly pushing the fiscal boat out. 

57 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

There are some alms houses near where my Grandma used to live.  I think they actually work very well.  They are very little houses, all on the ground floor, which is what you want when you're 90+.  The only thing I'm not sure they do is scale up - you could have a dozen i'm sure around a little courtyard and it sounds nice, but I'm not sure you could build sufficient thousands of homes one courtyard of a dozen at a time to cover all of the growing extreme elderly population.  But it's all helpful.

I guess you'd have to go vertically and include a court yard on each floor, not too difficult architecturally speaking. But you'd need lifts or a fleet of Stannah lifts!   But I think that would be called Alms Flats. 

How long has the housing crisis being going on for now? Must be at least a good 10 years ago they started calling it a crisis.

Perhaps the dictionary definition of the word could be changed to something like:

Crisis: A marketing word selected to replace the word “scam” when talking to the public about something that is actually accepted and intended by its benefactors.

1 hour ago, Arpeggio said:

How long has the housing crisis being going on for now? Must be at least a good 10 years ago they started calling it a crisis.

Perhaps the dictionary definition of the word could be changed to something like:

Crisis: A marketing word selected to replace the word “scam” when talking to the public about something that is actually accepted and intended by its benefactors.

I'd actually say over 20 years. 

I expect on current trends in 20-30 years very many poor old folk will think themselves lucky to have a bed in a dormitory. 

12 hours ago, Wayward said:

I expect on current trends in 20-30 years very many poor old folk will think themselves lucky to have a bed in a dormitory. 

This.

Almshouses being a plan for the post boomers.

12 hours ago, Wayward said:

How come?  Your retirees in 30 years' time will mostly be a mixture of Gen X aged 70-80 and some very old boomers aged 90-100.  Neither of that group seems particularly on course for living in a dormitory?

22 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Could be funded with Boris or Corbyn Bonds after the election. Both excitedly pushing the fiscal boat out. 

or maybe not 

52 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Almshouses being a plan for the post boomers.

let them  eat cake 

18 hours ago, Arpeggio said:

There are >3 million more people living here today than in 2009.

If we're going to call it honestly then we should call it a Malthusian catastrophe.

4 hours ago, scottbeard said:

How come?  Your retirees in 30 years' time will mostly be a mixture of Gen X aged 70-80 and some very old boomers aged 90-100.  Neither of that group seems particularly on course for living in a dormitory?

Folks renting now well into their forties...no opportunity to save as all their earnings are extracted.  30 years time many will be burnt out and not wanted in the workplace.  They will not be able to afford the rent they have been paying whilst working, there won't be any social provision...the dorm awaits unless they inherit.

Edited by Wayward
spelling

5 hours ago, Wayward said:

Folks renting now well into their forties...no opportunity to save as all their earnings are extracted.  30 years time many will be burnt out and not wanted in the workplace.  They will not be able to afford the rent they have been paying whilst working, there won't be any social provision...the dorm awaits unless they inherit.

But poor old folks without a house today aren’t in dorms - and certainly wouldn’t feel LUCKY to be in a dorm as per your original post. Why do you think this will change? We have housing benefit and pensions today - do you really think they will disappear in 30 years? If you do then ok I guess that’s your opinion. I don’t see it.

On 03/11/2019 at 08:30, spyguy said:

This, definitely. I know a good friend, nowhere near retirement age, who lives in an almshouse, one of a set of little terraced houses round a courtyard.

The main benefit is that their rent covers only the costs of the charity in maintaining the properties. There's no-one making a profit out of it. What's not to like? Add to that lifetime security of tenure...

Why couldn't a significant proportion of the housing stock be run as not-for-profit lifetime tenure? Is there a down side?

14 minutes ago, erat_forte said:

This, definitely. I know a good friend, nowhere near retirement age, who lives in an almshouse, one of a set of little terraced houses round a courtyard.

The main benefit is that their rent covers only the costs of the charity in maintaining the properties. There's no-one making a profit out of it. What's not to like? Add to that lifetime security of tenure...

Why couldn't a significant proportion of the housing stock be run as not-for-profit lifetime tenure? Is there a down side?

Are alms houses a mainly south west thing?

Ive never noticed main in the NE but some of the SW towns seem  to have one every 200m