Si1

HOLA441
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
5 hours ago, Si1 said:

Express: 'You rely on OUR money!' Pensioner savages millennials plotting to ban over-70s voting.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1197057/Election-news-Pensioner-millennials-over-70s-votes-elderly

"Why should I pay my taxes? These 16 - 34 year-olds largely rely on pensioners money."

seriously?

i would imagine the younger generations are paying far more in tax.  although what is the point of paying pensioners every month then taking half of it back in council tax ?

HOLA443
5 hours ago, Si1 said:

Express: 'You rely on OUR money!' Pensioner savages millennials plotting to ban over-70s voting.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1197057/Election-news-Pensioner-millennials-over-70s-votes-elderly

"Why should I pay my taxes? These 16 - 34 year-olds largely rely on pensioners money."

seriously?

I agree with your view but the thought that people over 70 shouldn't vote is a hideous anti democratic idea 

HOLA444
11 minutes ago, GregBowman said:

I agree with your view but the thought that people over 70 shouldn't vote is a hideous anti democratic idea 

Well yes. I think they should reduce the lower voting age to 16 though.

HOLA445
25 minutes ago, longgone said:

i would imagine the younger generations are paying far more in tax.  although what is the point of paying pensioners every month then taking half of it back in council tax ?

Very few 16 year olds are net tax payers.  Neither will they pay council tax.

These days, the percentages of 18 year olds who pay income tax and council tax is probably tiny.  I would guess you are looking at 22+ before a generation is up and running paying income taxes, and much more than that for council tax.

HOLA446
5 hours ago, Si1 said:

seriously?

This is a manufactured "Express" story in the first place. 

Having said that, why do you pick up on the one pensioner saying she shouldn't pay tax if she can't vote, instead of the far more outrageous finding that half of a 2000+ sample of young people say they should be denied the vote?

No taxation without representation is a kind of accepted idea after all.  Why are they so poorly educated that 50% of them do not realise this?

HOLA447
53 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Don't really agree ,School leaving age is 18 the vast majority haven't earnt anything and don't pay tax. I see it as the reverse of the no taxation without representation - no representation without taxation 

I don't buy its their world bull its mine as well otherwise you get ignorant 16 year olds lecturing me on climate change as Peter Drucker said Strategy (ideas) are a commodity, execution is an art -  

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
1 hour ago, GregBowman said:

I agree

1 hour ago, Si1 said:

16 year olds cannot 

buy alcohol

buy tabacco

get married without their parents' consent

join the army without their parents' consent 

take part in combat in the army

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/diane-abbott-wrongly-claims-16-year-olds-can-fight-for-their-country-in-latest-gaffe-a3676491.html

They should not get the vote without getting all these - and other rights as well - the fact that people are calling for this is very dubious

Amusingly the Guardian has printed articles saying that 16 year olds should be allowed to vote but not join the army

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/29/have-faith-in-our-generation-16-17-year-olds-voting

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/21/the-guardian-view-on-16-year-old-soldiers-armies-are-for-adults

What hypocrites

HOLA4411
1 hour ago, kzb said:

This is a manufactured "Express" story in the first place. 

Having said that, why do you pick up on the one pensioner saying she shouldn't pay tax if she can't vote, instead of the far more outrageous finding that half of a 2000+ sample of young people say they should be denied the vote?

No taxation without representation is a kind of accepted idea after all.  Why are they so poorly educated that 50% of them do not realise this?

Is it really accepted?  A child star can't vote even if they earn a million.  I don't know how much Drew Barrymore got for ET but she still couldn't vote.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
1 hour ago, longgone said:

Nonsense - most people of that age are at school or college reading books.  Else they will be at the beginning of their career path 

Ignorant idea - incredible that anyone can even say it - will people who say that now think the same when they are 70? I think not

41 minutes ago, GregBowman said:
1 hour ago, Si1 said:

Don't really agree ,School leaving age is 18 the vast majority haven't earnt anything and don't pay tax. I see it as the reverse of the no taxation without representation - no representation without taxation 

I don't buy its their world bull its mine as well otherwise you get ignorant 16 year olds lecturing me on climate change as Peter Drucker said Strategy (ideas) are a commodity, execution is an art -  

If anything the voting age should be increased. Certainly |I think that no one should be allowed to vote until they have worked for a living. 

Cossetted snowflakes who are placed in cotton wool and safe areas at college, have no life experience and no idea of the real world.

As someone who is 30  and has his own business I do not want to have the economy dictated by children who have done nothing other than live with mummy and daddy or read books at college.  

I employ a number of people in the 50 plus bracket one of whom is 72 and I have found that they have far greeter work ethic than almost all of those who I have employed of the snowflake generation.  

I do not want children who are well documented as the most narcissistic and weak generation who have ever walked the planet and who who have the highest rate of depression and suicide, and who are are so weak that they are offended by everything and have a meltdown of they are called a name on FB or twitter, and whose idea of communication is to send a message on a screen dictating how the economy runs and the level of tax I and those who work for me pay.  

HOLA4414
2 hours ago, Si1 said:

They most definately should not. 16---17 year olds know nothing of real life, not enough to form their own unbiased opinions away from all the liberal grooming brainwashing that goes on in UK schools that they have been subject to since the age of 5. Schools have been infested by PC, liberal nanny state types that put all sorts of stupid ideas into the kids heads eg, Climate change, 'there are 200 genders' (note the use of the word Gender rather than sex - another liberal idea), trans rights, safe spaces.... the list is endless really.

I would argue that the voting age should be raised if anything to 21. By then exposed to some of the real word some might have woken up away from the misleading school environment.

Edited by bear.getting.old

HOLA4415
5 minutes ago, mallish said:

Cossetted snowflakes who are placed in cotton wool and safe areas at college, have no life experience and no idea of the real world.

As someone who is 30  and has his own business I do not want to have the economy dictated by children who have done nothing other than live with mummy and daddy or read books at college.  

I employ a number of people in the 50 plus bracket one of whom is 72 and I have found that they have far greeter work ethic than almost all of those who I have employed of the snowflake generation.  

I do not want children who are well documented as the most narcissistic and weak generation who have ever walked the planet and who who have the highest rate of depression and suicide, and who are are so weak that they are offended by everything and have a meltdown of they are called a name on FB or twitter, and whose idea of communication is to send a message on a screen dictating how the economy runs and the level of tax I and those who work for me pay.  

Hi HappyGuy

HOLA4416

Fine, make the vote only apply to taxpayers.

There is the glaring democratic anomaly that non taxpayers voted to hammer taxpayers by voting for Brexit. In the case of state pensioners, they are immune to the inflationary cost of their actions. Unemployed and economically inactive who depend on taxpayers for their survival.. why should they be allowed vote to increase taxes?

HOLA4417
8 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

In the case of state pensioners, they are immune to the inflationary cost of their actions.

Really? I did not know pensioners got a free bus pass and a special store card that allows them to buy all goods and services VAT-free! Fantastic, I can't wait until I reach my 60s now. :rolleyes:

HOLA4418
10 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

There is the glaring democratic anomaly that non taxpayers voted to hammer taxpayers by voting for Brexit. In the case of state pensioners, they are immune to the inflationary cost of their actions. Unemployed and economically inactive who depend on taxpayers for their survival.. why should they be allowed vote to increase taxes?

Agree entirely.

One of my family is 96 - he was Spitfire pilot in the war - he has  done far more for this country and has far more life experience than any student 

HOLA4419
27 minutes ago, mallish said:

you are 30 and you have 50 and 72 year old`s working for you.  ?

HOLA4420
55 minutes ago, HariSeldon said:

You just cannot be serious? How can people in their twenties have paid "far more in tax" than people in their fifties, sixties or seventies?

ahh those people rode on the HPI horse for their money and paid minimal tax. 

This is HPC you know

HOLA4421
40 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

Is it really accepted?  A child star can't vote even if they earn a million.  I don't know how much Drew Barrymore got for ET but she still couldn't vote.

Well you've got to be an adult as well.  A 16-year old is a legal minor.  Your representatives in the democratic process are your parents.

Bear in mind many of these pensioners would've started work at 14 but not have the vote until 21.  If you were born prior to 1948 that is.

HOLA4422
22 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

But persons reliant on the state pension only are very poor indeed.  However, on this site, all pensioners are living cushy lives in undreamt of wealth.  So your post does not fit with the narrative I am afraid.

I bet the percentage of pensioners paying tax is far higher than that of 16 year olds anyhow.

HOLA4423

I can't believe people are connecting tax paying with voting. That's like the 19th century. 1 person 1 vote irrespective of property wealth or tax paying. Besides that implies that tax payment is then primary measure of contribution to society. Should Florence Nightingale not have had the vote if she didn't pay enough tax?

As to snowflakes on university campuses, sure, but they're outnumbered by the working class young who don't go near university. Sorry if they don't pay enough taxes for you. Sorry if they don't have time to worry about multiple genders over the risk of knife crime outside the school gate. Meanwhile they get to inherit the national debt, the climate crisis (irrespective of how it should be dealt), and the housing crisis, more so than middle class snowflakes at Oxbridge. This is the majority of the young. But sorry, they don't pay enough taxes so they can't have a say.

Edited by Si1

HOLA4424

no representation without taxation

Sounds like a good way to create a slave class. Distort price levels enough that a significant proportion of wages are ground down to subsistence levels so can't afford to pay tax, then take the vote away from people earning subsistence wages saying they don't deserve the vote because they don't pay tax.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA4425