House Price Crash Forum
bear.getting.old

Fed up with stupid house prices? Leave the UK...?

Fed up with stupid house prices? Ever thought of just jacking it all in and moving to another country? What you want is a place at the bottom of the HPI cycle, plenty jobs, average house prices no more than 3 times local average salary. Is there anywhere that exists like this? I sat down for a bit:

Ref this chart. High cost of living countries the most expensive (More than UK) in order; Iceland, Switzerland, Norway, Denmark also have pretty high wages, but high housing costs.

In my limited research: Reykjavik, Iceland a room in a house is 80.000 Kr. (£500). English is widely spoken there, I think anyone English could find work. There is no minimum wage officially in Iceland but you will earn at least 3,600,000 Kr gross a year - £25,500 in even the crappest job, with more like 4,920,000 (£30,000) being average wage. In London you are looking at £700 a month for a room in a house. Quite hard to research houses online but I've seen one for £250k 3 bed detached in Reykjavik built 1932! so better than London. BUT: house prices in Iceland look to be in bubble territory even though they are not as much as London. To me this is risky, I'd more prefer a country that has cheap housing at the bottom of the HPI cycle.

Italy, low housing costs, HPI down but cost of living is expensive. If you could get a job at least when SHTF your house won't fall much.

Similary, Bulgaria or Romania, housing is very cheap right at bottom of the HPI cycle but I wouldn't like to bank on getting a job there. Ok for retiring there I guess, same with Phillipines, Mexico etc, forget working. So we are stuffed until houses fall. Unless anyone else has come up with a place to get out to? Anyone else drawn similar or different conclusions?

17 minutes ago, bear.getting.old said:

Fed up with stupid house prices? Ever thought of just jacking it all in and moving to another country? What you want is a place at the bottom of the HPI cycle, plenty jobs, average house prices no more than 3 times local average salary. Is there anywhere that exists like this? I sat down for a bit:

Ref this chart. High cost of living countries the most expensive (More than UK) in order; Iceland, Switzerland, Norway, Denmark also have pretty high wages, but high housing costs.

It's important to consider the quality of housing. High average housing costs aren't necessarily a problem in themselves if there is the quality to go with it. As a sweeping generalization, I would imagine that the average size and build quality of the countries mentioned is better than the average UK home (with nicer neighbors to boot). 

We have moved twice now from London. Driven out by high housing costs and other reasons. Now feeling trapped as need to be close to a hospital for ongoing cancer treatment.

If we were mobile again the big concern would be work. We can't do our jobs remotely. The first location we moved to from London (to abroad) was after a job offer. That was all good for a while and then the company redundancies started. It wasn't possible to find another job after that. Even the locals had problems.

Now one of us has a job. I'm out of work while the cancer treatment continues. That seems to be as good as it gets for us. When I have finished my treatment we may move again for housing.

There are a lot of people in the same boat. As we move into different areas the problem gets worse there.

Edited by Flopsy

3 minutes ago, Flopsy said:

We have moved twice now from London. Driven out by high housing costs and other reasons. Now feeling trapped as need to be close to a hospital for ongoing cancer treatment.

Any particular hospital? They do build hospitals outside London too. 

5 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Any particular hospital? They do build hospitals outside London too. 

It's not a liking for a particular hospital only but a physical state that means packing up impossible even if we hire someone. Would need ambulance type transfer to new home etc if far away.

We were evicted just as I was first diagnosed and the stress of having to find a new home, a new GP and get appointments for cancer treatment was something I never want to go through again. 

5 minutes ago, Flopsy said:

It's not a liking for a particular hospital only but a physical state that means packing up impossible even if we hire someone. Would need ambulance type transfer to new home etc if far away.

We were evicted just as I was first diagnosed and the stress of having to find a new home, a new GP and get appointments for cancer treatment was something I never want to go through again. 

Oh, ahh.

55 minutes ago, bear.getting.old said:

Fed up with stupid house prices? Ever thought of just jacking it all in and moving to another country? -  Reykjavik, Iceland - I've seen one for £250k 3 bed detached in Reykjavik

If you are considering something as extreme as moving to a different country why not just move to a cheaper part of the UK?

3 bed detached in Lancashire for £80,000

32 minutes ago, Flopsy said:

If we were mobile again the big concern would be work. We can't do our jobs remotely. The first location we moved to from London (to abroad) was after a job offer. That was all good for a while and then the company redundancies started. It wasn't possible to find another job after that. Even the locals had problems.

Now one of us has a job. I'm out of work while the cancer treatment continues. That seems to be as good as it gets for us. When I have finished my treatment we may move again for housing.

There are a lot of people in the same boat. As we move into different areas the problem gets worse there.

Do you regret leaving London, apart from the high cost of housing 

59 minutes ago, bear.getting.old said:

Italy, low housing costs, HPI down but cost of living is expensive. If you could get a job at least when SHTF your house won't fall much.

Italian-born here. There are no jobs in Italy. 

15 hours ago, stuckmojo said:

Italian-born here. There are no jobs in Italy. 

There must be jobs. It's in the wonderful EU, and Draghi has worked miracles for the Euro economy. Right?

I moved from london to glasgow last year. Worked out really well. Bought a nice house and car and work less hours. Took a 5k pay cut woop de doo much better quality of life (except the weather)

16 minutes ago, jackwhiteisgod said:

I moved from london to glasgow last year. Worked out really well. Bought a nice house and car and work less hours. Took a 5k pay cut woop de doo much better quality of life (except the weather)

this is the reason i went from scotland to surrey. could not hack the cold and rain anymore

NE of England is in the rain shadow of the Pennines and has cheapish houses. Not that many jobs but probs better than much of Europe.

We're going to get hundreds of thousands of students every year with post study work and if they get job, they will get indefinite leave to remain in UK . So even if people leave uk, they'll be replaced with immigrant students. We'll have baby boom in coming years. Well done Tories. I will vote Nigel.

17 hours ago, Flopsy said:

Surely finding a new GP should not be stressful?  If it is there is something wrong with the NHS.

3 hours ago, Simhadri said:

We're going to get hundreds of thousands of students every year with post study work and if they get job, they will get indefinite leave to remain in UK . So even if people leave uk, they'll be replaced with immigrant students. We'll have baby boom in coming years. Well done Tories. I will vote Nigel.

This is Corbyn idea he has stated a few weeks back  that he will let any foreign student stay for 2 years to work not Boris

11 minutes ago, mallish said:

This is Corbyn idea he has stated a few weeks back  that he will let any foreign student stay for 2 years to work not Boris

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7452265/Boris-Johnson-relaxes-rules-foreign-students-away-hardline-Theresa-era.html 

Pick of the brightest and best.😉

3 hours ago, winkie said:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7452265/Boris-Johnson-relaxes-rules-foreign-students-away-hardline-Theresa-era.html 

Pick of the brightest and best.😉

Theresa May was not a great home secretary. Their rules against talent were onerous and yet they failed utterly to control unskilled immigration.

Edited by Si1

2 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Theresa May was not a great home secretary. Their rules against talent were ludicrous and yet they failed utterly to control immigration.

We went from one extreme to another......don't you think we should be investing in training our own people to do the jobs this country needs.....we are not stupid you know.;)

18 minutes ago, winkie said:

We went from one extreme to another......don't you think we should be investing in training our own people to do the jobs this country needs.....we are not stupid you know.;)

Agreed. That's why immigration can't be unlimited, we've got to be able to nurture and incubate people developing skills and motivation. Not just keep them on tax credits.