House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mikhail Liebenstein

Death of the knowledge economy and chav search engines.

I've been using a few different search engines of late. Traditionally I used Bing, Yahoo and occasionally Google (hate their tracking) , but particularly with Google I've been finding that the results it produces are less and less useful. Essentially it tries to mostly pump promoted sites and I even find the core logical operators I use to use to get a more specific search no longer seem to work.  

My guess is the big search engines have just indexed too much junk and as  Internet search is a conglomeration of all the rubbish people publish and search for, essentialy Google has become a Chav search engine, and is essentially useless for locating knowledge. 

My feeling is that what is needed is either a better curated service or service that keeps the riff raff out so to speak. 

Right now I am getting better results from Dog Pile and DuckDuckGo than Google. 

We seem to have built on economy, not on knowledge, but on finding the fastest way to order a burger for home delivery. 

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

I've been using duck duck go for years.

You should also consider using Firefox as your browser,  then install HTTPS everywhere and privacy badger as addons.

Then goto   about:config   in firefox, set TRR to settng 2 and use https://dns.quad9.net/dns-query

See this link.

https://dnsprivacy.org/wiki/display/DP/DNS+Privacy+-+The+Problem

Capture.PNG

Edited by Lord D'arcy Pew

38 minutes ago, Lord D'arcy Pew said:

I've been using duck duck go for years.

You should also consider using Firefox as your browser,  then install HTTPS everywhere and privacy badger as addons.

Then goto   about:config   in firefox, set TRR to settng 2 and use https://dns.quad9.net/dns-query

See this link.

https://dnsprivacy.org/wiki/display/DP/DNS+Privacy+-+The+Problem

Capture.PNG

Looking at it, you can also just set the DNS to 9.9.9.9 which is really easy. Guess that is where the name Quad9 comes from!!! 

Well I would not say the results I get are exactly chavy, but there are definitely cases where there are gaps.

Was recently trying to find out info on the Italian economy, basically I wanted a specific stat, the knowledge just didn't seem to be there however I changed the key words, I would always get the same few articles at the top.

Some people think every piece of info is now on Google at the tap of a button, I don't think this is the case.

Edited by reddog

37 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Looking at it, you can also just set the DNS to 9.9.9.9 which is really easy. Guess that is where the name Quad9 comes from!!! 

Yes you can, but this does not encrypt the IP addresses visted.

Think of it like stopping the telelphone operator knowing every number dialed.  Just scambling the calls does not stop the gathering of this meta data.

I use Quad9 because they are GDPR compliant, others are available.

9 minutes ago, Lord D'arcy Pew said:

Yes you can, but this does not encrypt the IP addresses visted.

Think of it like stopping the telelphone operator knowing every number dialed.  Just scambling the calls does not stop the gathering of this meta data.

I use Quad9 because they are GDPR compliant, others are available.

So is this effectively set up a Proxy? 

1 hour ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I've been using a few different search engines of late. Traditionally I used Bing, Yahoo and occasionally Google (hate their tracking) , but particularly with Google I've been finding that the results it produces are less and less useful. Essentially it tries to mostly pump promoted sites and I even find the core logical operators I use to use to get a more specific search no longer seem to work.  

My guess is the big search engines have just indexed too much junk and as  Internet search is a conglomeration of all the rubbish people publish and search for, essentialy Google has become a Chav search engine, and is essentially useless for locating knowledge. 

My feeling is that what is needed is either a better curated service or service that keeps the riff raff out so to speak. 

We seem to have built on economy, not on knowledge, but on finding the fastest way to order a burger for home delivery. 

Years ago - 20 - a search wouod find the answers i was looking for.

Now, searches for techical stuff is filled with wrong answers n infians asking people to do their work.

Just now, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

So is this effectively set up a Proxy? 

No, not a proxy.  DNS is the telephone directory of the internet. When you search for Google it finds the IP adresses. 216.58.208.110

Quad9 handle this DNS call but do not record it. They also encryt the IP address returned. This provents a leaky part of the internet from giving away your private data.

Just now, Lord D'arcy Pew said:

No, not a proxy.  DNS is the telephone directory of the internet. When you search for Google it finds the IP adresses. 216.58.208.110

Quad9 handle this DNS call but do not record it. They also encryt the IP address returned. This provents a leaky part of the internet from giving away your private data.

So I am with good DNS, just trying to work how the URL request gets encrypted, i.e. Where the difference lies between using 9.9.9.9 as the DNS, versus using https://dns.quad9.net/dns-query as the URI. 

From the note, it sound like I need to read up on Trusted Recursive Resolvers https://wiki.mozilla.org/Trusted_Recursive_Resolver

59 minutes ago, reddog said:

Well I would not say the results I get are exactly chavy, but there are definitely cases where there are gaps.

Was recently trying to find out info on the Italian economy, basically I wanted a specific stat, the knowledge just didn't seem to be there however I changed the key words, I would always get the same few articles at the top.

Some people think every piece of info is now on Google at the tap of a button, I don't think this is the case.

Google along with many others are just vast data harvesters.

Think of it as if the paper boy says he will now deliver your newspaper for free, you say thats great and let him get on with it.

He now goes to every house and records how many bottles of milk you have, if the grass is cut, how many cars are on the drive. He just records every piece of information he can about everything he sees.

He then makes his money by freeding all this information into a computer, and selling it on. You end up with a different milkman, adverts for a new lawnmower and bombareded with insurance offers for the cars.

2 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Google's 'Mission' is to give you the 'right' answer as opposed to a list of relevant search results on the term you were looking for.

Increasingly, they meddle in the results produced in their searches - most blatantly along the the lines of SJW cultural politics but also there are strong suspicions of outright political favouritism (even within parties)  - and hence their results are becoming less and less reliable and useful.

Seriously, that organisation is  downright evil.  Do everything you can to keep away from them.

3 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

So I am with good DNS, just trying to work how the URL request gets encrypted, i.e. Where the difference lies between using 9.9.9.9 as the DNS, versus using https://dns.quad9.net/dns-query as the URI. 

From the note, it sound like I need to read up on Trusted Recursive Resolvers https://wiki.mozilla.org/Trusted_Recursive_Resolver

Simple the returned IP addresses are 9.9.9.9 not encryted, https://dns.quad9.net/dns-query encryted.

8 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Cool!!! As they use https!

Correct normal DNS is unencrypted on port 53. DNS over HTTPS uses port 443. This is the same method used to encrypt this page

Capture.PNG

11 minutes ago, Lord D'arcy Pew said:

Correct normal DNS is unencrypted on port 53. DNS over HTTPS uses port 443. This is the same method used to encrypt this page

Capture.PNG

Great. I am good, so no logs stored at the server and encrypted return! 

2 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

We seem to have built on economy, not on knowledge, but on finding the fastest way to order a burger for home delivery

All search engines were much better a few years ago....more rubbish and diverted distractions popping up.....used to be far better and more relevant, more US related pushes these days.

Work to be more distracted, ignore the pings and the dings that try to overcome the  bored and lonely....none of it is of real importance, when more local issues are of more importance.....the gadget addicted?.....sorry we do not deliver, sorry we can't provide a service.....thank goodness for that.;)

1 minute ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Great. I am good, so no logs stored at the server and encrypted return! 

There is still a leak with something call SNI https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication.

This is fixed with the new TLS1.3, but not many sites currently use it.

Again this can be plugged in firefox.

You will never stop governments getting at your data, but we should all try to screw up the likes of Google.

Capture.PNG

Another part of the problem is that the knowledge simply isn't there in the first place as the use of forums diminishes.

Car forums used to be a wealth of information when it came to troubleshooting issues as someone else invariably would have previously had the same issue and the fix would be posted which was usually better (quicker) than the workshop manual.

These days instead of making conscise posts on a forum people will just post on member only Facebook car specific groups asking a question giving very little info on the problem eg 'my eml light is on what's wrong?' and expecting an instant answer when they haven't even given the eml trouble code.

All this isn't crawled by Google so you end up with posts from a few years ago when forums were still the goto place and invariably the page will be missing most the images due to expired hosting or photobucket which culled/blurred their hotlinked photos a couple if years back.

32 minutes ago, untakenname said:

Another part of the problem is that the knowledge simply isn't there in the first place as the use of forums diminishes.

Car forums used to be a wealth of information when it came to troubleshooting issues as someone else invariably would have previously had the same issue and the fix would be posted which was usually better (quicker) than the workshop manual.

These days instead of making conscise posts on a forum people will just post on member only Facebook car specific groups asking a question giving very little info on the problem eg 'my eml light is on what's wrong?' and expecting an instant answer when they haven't even given the eml trouble code.

All this isn't crawled by Google so you end up with posts from a few years ago when forums were still the goto place and invariably the page will be missing most the images due to expired hosting or photobucket which culled/blurred their hotlinked photos a couple if years back.

This ^^^^^^ it is there, just got to do more of the searching yourself now, not that much different than searching for the best utility deal or any other specific info.....very often not on the first page of any search.;)

The thing with Google is that they use all their tracking to build up an profile for you - thats used to target advertising, but also to tailor search results. There are pros and cons to that approach and I guess it works better for some people than others.

I switch back and forth between a couple of different google accounts (work and non work) and the difference can be quite surprising.

8 hours ago, Habeas Domus said:

The thing with Google is that they use all their tracking to build up an profile for you - thats used to target advertising, but also to tailor search results. There are pros and cons to that approach and I guess it works better for some people than others.

I switch back and forth between a couple of different google accounts (work and non work) and the difference can be quite surprising.

Yes, I did some tests on different Google accounts myself. Fascinating stuff, I can see how people end up down unintellectual, non diverse chains of thought. A bit like a restaurant that know you liked fries once and keeps trying to serve you fries.