House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ghostly

Electrical socket - what to do?

I've got a double electrical socket where I plug my PC in (specifically the monitor and accessories). I noticed last night that after I switched off the monitor standby light was still on.  Went over to check I'd turned off at the socket (which I've forgotten before) and I had.  So that half of the socket is still drawing power even when the switch is off.  Should I get an electrician immediately?  No breakers have tripped.  The socket shouldn't be overloaded, it has an extension plugged in for monitor, computer speakers and sometimes printer.  PC is on the other half of the socket.

Hoping the collective wisdom of HPC can assist.

Edited by Ghostly

Sometimes it takes quite a while for the capacitors in the monitor power supply to discharge when the monitor is on standby - as not much power is drawn. Did you check the standby light again after a few minutes? 

20 minutes ago, FirstTimeBonkers said:

Sometimes it takes quite a while for the capacitors in the monitor power supply to discharge when the monitor is on standby - as not much power is drawn. Did you check the standby light again after a few minutes? 

Yeah, it was a good 5 or 10 minutes before I noticed it was still on.

I think I figured it out. The ‘switch’ part might be going bad. It wasn’t positively clicking on or off before but I just got it to switch off.

Part P of the building regs control what you supposedly can and can't do to your own home.

Essentially you can replace anything that already exists. After that, it depends.

At best faulty switch, at worst neutral fault causing voltage to find the next best path to earth via that circuit