House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DiggerUK

Harry Dunn killed by wife of US spy, not wife of diplomat

https://news.sky.com/story/husband-of-us-woman-granted-diplomatic-immunity-not-registered-diplomat-11830734

So, 40 days after Harry was killed, it emerges that the killer was not on any diplomatic list of the US embassy under the Vienna Convention. Her husband was part of the operation of mass surveillance of citizens of the UK and USA, and is how both countries get around the laws that prevent them spying on their own citizens.

"the NSA has staff here fronting the spying on British citizens, while GCHQ has staff in the US fronting the spying on US citizens, and the polite fiction is that the results are transmitted back over the Atlantic to the US or UK respectively, before being “shared” with the partner intelligence agency"

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/

This was of course revealed by Edward Snowden and Julian Assange a long time ago..._

This stinks up to high heaven and will perhaps be the beginning of the end for US/UK "Special Relationship" (and it already strained with Afghanistan and Iraq).

America's is probably in a similar position to 1980s Soviet Russia.

Edited by Big Orange

Yeah, we expelled Russian diplomats over Salisbury/novichok which the Russians always denied committing, so that from their POV at least their actions since then have been 'honest' on their terms.  But here we have the culprit admitting her fault yet being allowed to flee!

If she had stayed she wouldn't even get a jail sentence. Suspended one, fine, ban. 

Isn't going to affect the special relationship, especially so as we now have an ex-American, desperate for a scraps of US trade, PM.

Very strange for her to come out and say she feels bad about it.  Isn't that an admission of guilt?  Don't know why her lawyer would allow it.  There should be a serious look at diplomatic immunity.  Yes, it could extend to things like parking tickets, speeding fines, etc. but it shouldn't allow you to kill people with impunity.

She doesn't have diplomatic immunity, never did.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/harry-dunn-trump-anne-sacoolas-witness-us-diplomat-uk-a9153406.html

Which bring the point that US citizens who commit crimes outside the US are a flight risk and should NEVER be give bail. But it won't happen now we are leaving the EU, UK will be the USA' s poodle.

Dreadful, tragic accident, but an accident none the less. 

If we didn't have the guideline that if someone is killed, someone must go to prison, she may well have stayed but with a likely prison sentence hanging over her I can understand the advice of the US embassy to return home.  

1 hour ago, Bruce Banner said:

Dreadful, tragic accident, but an accident none the less. 

If we didn't have the guideline that if someone is killed, someone must go to prison, she may well have stayed but with a likely prison sentence hanging over her I can understand the advice of the US embassy to return home.  

You think its acceptable to evade justice?

Maybe the UK government can reciprocate and allow UK citizens to evade justice abroad.

It wont do.

11 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

If she had stayed she wouldn't even get a jail sentence. Suspended one, fine, ban. 

Isn't going to affect the special relationship, especially so as we now have an ex-American, desperate for a scraps of US trade, PM.

I agree she wouldn't have ended up with much of a sentence if she had just stayed.

It was a accident, but with a terrible consequence.  I would have thought the two countries could come up with some solution where she spends a sentence tagged on a US base or something.

Obviously sad someone had to die, in general I think driving offence sentencing is to weak.

13 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

I merely question the UK sentencing guidelines where people face an almost certain custodial sentence for a momentary lapse of concentration. 

This has been normal for all offenses since the start of lawmaking. A monetary act of criminality, an impulse punch with a knife, a sexual urge, falling asleep at the wheel.

The US is vastly more punitive for such lapses.

Is there anybody here not totally impressed by the strength of Harry's family?

If push ever came to shove with my family, I hope we would step up to the plate in such an honourable manner.

There are a few news videos in this link, seeing and hearing them is far more impressive than just reading the rest of the story..._

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7577013/Parents-UK-crash-victim-seek-justice-White-House.html 

Yes they're determined and they've got good legal support.  Sooner or later they will win.

Meanwhile what do we make of Trump's meeting with them?  Does he have the authority to sign an executive order or something for an extradition?  What's stopping her coming back to UK for a trial?  No one seems to be giving any US national interest reason why not.

I think Trump is totally arrogant about this. Why would he allow such as stunt to take place? I think it's completely disgusting.

What I can't seem to find out is what happens now? Can she be found guilty in her absence? Can an extradition application be made to the US if she is found guilty? If she doesn't return before a court case, would her sentence be much more?

To be fair if she had stayed, faced justice and shown remorse, she would probably have received a long or lifetime driving ban in the UK, suspended sentence and a large fine anyway.

Watched Jeremy vine this morning and Carole Malone on the panel was vile she stated what good would come from reprimanding sacoolas as she was a mother and had 3 children why destroy their lives too. 

because its the right and legal correct thing to do maybe ??

10 hours ago, Jason said:

To be fair if she had stayed, faced justice and shown remorse, she would probably have received a long or lifetime driving ban in the UK, suspended sentence and a large fine anyway.

Exactly, not sure if she was badly advised, or made a stop decision herself.