Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Recommended Posts

On 07/10/2019 at 09:51, Odysseus said:

I appreciate the need to generate revenue but this is become absurd. The website is almost totally unusable with endless banners covering most of the threads. By the way I’ve just switched to Bulb so why they are spamming my account I have no idea.

02667BAA-89DA-46A1-AAA4-AD40533B4191.png

Try the Brave Browser, seems to avoid those issues. https://brave.com/  

Or alternatively FireFox or FireFox Focus. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/focus  

The above looks like Google Chrome or may be Safari,  which are rubbish in such circumstances.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/10/2019 at 16:57, Ghostly said:

I have that problem on mobile (iOS/safari).  Often rotating between portrait and landscape fixes it (not that you should have to).  

Agreed. I have two phones and have this problem on safari but no problems on Android. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Ah-so said:

Agreed. I have two phones and have this problem on safari but no problems on Android. 

I would seriously recommend not using Safari. It's not really a development priority for Apple and there have been bad for code releases.

Whilst Chrome works well, it does it does spy on you. My preferences are FireFox, Brave or the Ghostery Browser.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 16:30, Lord D'arcy Pew said:

Try using a computer, not a pocket calculator.:rolleyes:

I almost always view HPC on my laptop or desktop PC - always seems fine.

Although increasingly other websites don't - it's annoying to be using my computer and be told by a website to "swipe" or "tap" something!

Link to post
Share on other sites

the internet was faster 10 years ago. thats a fact, news sites are the worst, practically frozen and cant read the article you came to read in many cases. often i just give up. also that premission pop up for cookies and data every page now pops up has just made things even worse. surely there is a better way?

Link to post
Share on other sites

A typical cost for web ads is $2 CPM or $2 to display one thousand adverts.

or about 0.15 p for every page view

Now those websites which offer a subscription option typically want to charge about £1 per day, so to compare that with the advertising rates you would have to be reading 1000 pages every day, before the advertising model will return more money back to the publisher.

If a typical punter reads a more reasonable 20 pages each day, that would be:

3p on an advertising funded website.
£1 on a subscription site.

But of course its not that simple because 99% of people won't pay for a subscription vs about 60% of people who will display ads.

I think we are approaching a tipping point as more people block ads and more people start to pay subscriptions, I can see more and more websites putting up the paywalls in the next few years.

Enjoy the open internet while it lasts!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 16:09, jimmy2x3 said:

the internet was faster 10 years ago. thats a fact, news sites are the worst, practically frozen and cant read the article you came to read in many cases. often i just give up. also that premission pop up for cookies and data every page now pops up has just made things even worse. surely there is a better way?

I’d be interested to know your proof for this ‘fact’?!

I’ve not a clue how to even go about trying to remember what websites I used 10 years ago and what it was like.

Plus 10 years ago people used computers and now use smartphones and tablets.

The GDPR boxes are a nuisance in one way but GDPR overall is a good idea and if they serve as a reminder that websites you visit track your data that’s not all bad. Certainly when they pop up sometimes I have second thoughts and cease using the website rather than click “accept”.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, scottbeard said:

I’d be interested to know your proof for this ‘fact’?!

I’ve not a clue how to even go about trying to remember what websites I used 10 years ago and what it was like.

Plus 10 years ago people used computers and now use smartphones and tablets.

The GDPR boxes are a nuisance in one way but GDPR overall is a good idea and if they serve as a reminder that websites you visit track your data that’s not all bad. Certainly when they pop up sometimes I have second thoughts and cease using the website rather than click “accept”.

 

i first went online in 1997 and things were even faster then than they are now, bloatware is the issue, a game like doom came on 2 floppy disks. now a game is 1000 times as large and the internet is the same. clean fast html pages have been replaced by intensive data grabbing web applications, advertisments and  videos that though nice have just grabbed all the benifits of faster internet and computers so the realtime page loading are actually slower than they used to be. same with games consoles, not that i play them these days but a game put in a snes or megadrive came on pretty much instantly, now it takes ages and has constant uploads tat take sometimes over an hour. 

with paywalls and bloatware and much more intensive advertising and data we have gone backwords in speed not forward. and in all honesty its all just a little bit more sh&t than it used to be. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, jimmy2x3 said:

i first went online in 1997 and things were even faster then than they are now, bloatware is the issue, a game like doom came on 2 floppy disks. now a game is 1000 times as large and the internet is the same. clean fast html pages have been replaced by intensive data grabbing web applications, advertisments and  videos that though nice have just grabbed all the benifits of faster internet and computers so the realtime page loading are actually slower than they used to be. same with games consoles, not that i play them these days but a game put in a snes or megadrive came on pretty much instantly, now it takes ages and has constant uploads tat take sometimes over an hour. 

with paywalls and bloatware and much more intensive advertising and data we have gone backwords in speed not forward. and in all honesty its all just a little bit more sh&t than it used to be. 

Unless you were lucky to have isdn or one of the first adopters of adsl you were stuck with a 56k modem the internet was terrible it was a slightly better experience than a bulletin board.

It's become ad ridden because PC hardware and bandwidth is much better.  however all the ads and videos  can be blocked so not sure why it's worse. Started using it 1995.

Video games are better because the hardware is. Should Have stuck to the Atari 2600 playing tennis With a block of pixels Lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jimmy2x3 said:

i first went online in 1997 and things were even faster then than they are now, bloatware is the issue, a game like doom came on 2 floppy disks. now a game is 1000 times as large and the internet is the same. clean fast html pages have been replaced by intensive data grabbing web applications, advertisments and  videos that though nice have just grabbed all the benifits of faster internet and computers so the realtime page loading are actually slower than they used to be. same with games consoles, not that i play them these days but a game put in a snes or megadrive came on pretty much instantly, now it takes ages and has constant uploads tat take sometimes over an hour. 

with paywalls and bloatware and much more intensive advertising and data we have gone backwords in speed not forward. and in all honesty its all just a little bit more sh&t than it used to be. 

I don't play video games so can't comment on that.

Advertising - well, no-one likes it, but it's what pays for the content.  We're discussing the point right now on a site funded by adverts.  If HPC started charging to post then you wouldn't see me again.  The bottom line is that I - and indeed most people - prefer a free site with tiresome adverts to a site you have to pay for.  And for news without the ads there's always the BBC - but that is funded by the licence fee, of course.

As for the speeds and whether things are better or worse than the past, we disagree and there's no point me saying more on the subject.

14 hours ago, longgone said:

Unless you were lucky to have isdn or one of the first adopters of adsl you were stuck with a 56k modem the internet was terrible it was a slightly better experience than a bulletin board.

Quite!

And there wasn't really much content on the internet in the 90s either - people forget how little you could actually use the internet for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scottbeard said:

 

Quite!

And there wasn't really much content on the internet in the 90s either - people forget how little you could actually use the internet for.

Late 90s was just a less ad driven multimedia experience.

Apart from social media Google was established internet radio online videos downloads. Findaproperty ebay searching for software and drivers. Online shopping even Amazon.

Travel booking insurance etc. That's what I remember.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, longgone said:

Late 90s was just a less ad driven multimedia experience.

Apart from social media Google was established internet radio online videos downloads. Findaproperty ebay searching for software and drivers. Online shopping even Amazon.

Travel booking insurance etc. That's what I remember.

By the end of 1999 I agree all of those things were in place.

But from the mid-90s when it began to kick off until then it took a long time for infrastucture to be in place.

I first used ebay in 2000, for example, and without Paypal existing the way I bought something from the US was to get dollars from the post office and post the cash off in an envelope.  Leagues behind today's internet use.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I first got connected to the internet three men from the University of Colorado had to come and meet us and explain that we needed to put in a dedicated 56k line to the Uni computer center. I think it cost around a thousand dollars a year.  I got the whole 147.191.x.x "in case I needed them!

The only thing it got used for at first was the boss sending emails to her sister in Australia.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, scottbeard said:

 

I first used ebay in 2000, for example, and without Paypal existing the way I bought something from the US was to get dollars from the post office and post the cash off in an envelope.  Leagues behind today's internet use.

I used to buy backup units from Germany to resell here as they were 70% less than the uk.

No German seller would take PayPal. Always Had to do Iban bic transfers at £10 a go from natwest.

Happy days then

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 415 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.