House Price Crash Forum
burk

"We've tried so hard"

That was the comment from the owner that stuck in my head whilst pricing up some joinery work on a buy to let near me.

Long story short, the tenants have done one, the place is a tip - holes in walls, marker pen everywhere at floor level (tenants kids) but in defence of the tenants the place is an absolute pit, the place hasn't been touched in years if at all, the gloss works yellowing,  looks like its not been done since the place was built in 2005.

The kitchens a mess, (doors hanging off, extractor not working properly, broken door handles), carpets are threadbare, walls have got paint peeling off them and there's mould in the bedrooms upstairs, the bathroom - well the one from my student days was in better fettle and that was with me and four other blokes sharing it. It was disgusting, i had no idea tenants could spray **** that high up the wall. But again, paint peeling off walls, toilet leaking - mould all round the bath.

I can kinda see why the tenants didn't pay the last couple of months rent as they knew they wouldn't be getting their deposit back. Plus for the five days i worked there the posty delivered a summons or red bill of some description everyday, you may wonder how i knew - simple - play a game of shine your mobile phone torch through the envelope and read the contents. Best one was two years unpaid council tax, a court summons of nearly £3.5K a store debit card of £4k another two debt collection letters, one for £700 and another for £1300 but couldn't make out who from, a letter from Black Horse (Lloyds i'm guessing) for just over £2K and a demand from Sky of £350.

So when the wife of the couple who owns the place told me "we're gonna take them to court" i pointed her towards the pile of envelopes on the kitchen counter

Turns out the property was managed through a local agency, i was ear-wigging the argument between the husband & letting agent and it transpires the agent has no problem finding tenants but replied angry husband, "you can't find the ones that actually pay fkn rent", transpires this wasn't the first time this had happened to him. By this point i went out to my van and sat in the back sniggering for a bit. And this was a respectable newish housing estate in the new forest, makes you wonder whats going on behind closed doors up and down the country, incidentally the tenants drove brand new cars, well they would wouldn't they? Him an Audi Q5 and her an Audi convertible. I should say i'm not on either side of what i witnessed as they both (owner & tenants) seem as bad as each other.

Tenants: #fakeittillyoumakeit

Buy to let Landlord: #thewheelsareslowlycomingoff 

Wow! :blink:

Whoever moves into that house after it's ready will no doubt be getting some burly bailiffs on their doorstep.

3 hours ago, burk said:

Him an Audi Q5 and her an Audi convertible. 

Black Horse tend to do car finance so that's probably related.

I didn't know that about the envelope/light trick, I'll have to check that out.

BTL seems too high risk for a low reward to me. About 95% of people seem to be absolute d***heads these days so it's little surprise that homes they do not own are treated like this.

3 hours ago, dougless said:

Love it, thanks for sharing that with us.

Pleasure

21 minutes ago, MattW said:

Wow! :blink:

Whoever moves into that house after it's ready will no doubt be getting some burly bailiffs on their doorstep.

The thought had crossed my mind, although i neglected to her how i knew they were court summons, baliffs notices and red bills,  i think the sky bill had a separate window on the envelope that read something like "immediate action required" in red so i got it across to her her new tenants might not like being threatened by someone who looks like old bill at 7 in the morning. Her reply, "oh?"

5 minutes ago, Ghostly said:

Black Horse tend to do car finance so that's probably related.

I didn't know that about the envelope/light trick, I'll have to check that out.

BTL seems too high risk for a low reward to me. About 95% of people seem to be absolute d***heads these days so it's little surprise that homes they do not own are treated like this.

Yeah, it was the decorator who showed me that trick, i have an old phone that you could just about make stuff out but his samsung lit them up like a light box - you could read everything, it was a good insight into that situation as the property owner kept saying how respectable they both were, looked the part etc. Imagine an entire country like that..............oh wait....hang on.

The whole job was strange insofar as i got nagged to push another job out the way to do it and then the owners buggered of on holiday for a week and were nagging me via SMS to do lots of extras that mainly were a plumbers job, silconing the bathroom, fitting taps etc. When (for the forth or fifth time) i told them i was a chippy and i wouldn't be doing what they asked the messages stopped. They struck me as you're typical BTL's, greedy, naive and quite arrogant, i really can't stand what this country' become in that regard. 

7 hours ago, EnglishinWales said:

why are you reading other people's mail, I'm pretty sure that's illegal

Yeah it is, but shining a phones torch through an envelope isn't.................

On 11/09/2019 at 15:16, burk said:

"We've tried so hard"

Nice, any more stories/anecdotes from the BTL brigade?

15 hours ago, chronyx said:

Nice, any more stories/anecdotes from the BTL brigade?

No BTL'ers at the moment Chronyx. I've got another coming up shortly but at the moment I'm working on another £1m lemon, well that's what it estimated to be worth by rightmove, it was bought a few years back for £380K so that makes perfect sense!? Its like a lot of houses i work in: outwardly to the untrained eye all looks fine but once inside there's tell tale signs all is not well with the structure - tear cracks in every room above doorways and windows.

The ridge timber has a decidedly 'chinese theatre' look to it, the masonry - to drill into - is like sand, the plasters dried out and popped from the brick work in every room and the door linings have all racked and twisted which is another subtle indication the underlying structure isn't sound. They paid (like the last £1m lemon i worked in) for the 'full' survey which has more caveats on each page than actual information about the property. I asked to see it after pointing out the roof to them to see if there was any mention of anything and there wasn't so the clients are happy that everything's fine....................................it clearly isn't.

Interesting comment from her was they asked a local builder to quote to take a wall out downstairs and he point blank refused to do so and they still think everything's fine?

But like most clients i work for there's a brand spanking new kitchen to fit with all the trimmings (mercan F/F, plate warmers, multiple ovens, quooker tap etc) and a solid oak floor to fit which i'll start fitting today. #priorities

That's what erks me the most, its not just the fact property is obscenely overpriced, its obscenely overpriced sh1te, checked the last family house i lived in in the late 90's which got repossessed in 1996 as my parents were divorcing /at war at the time, it went for £59,950. The exactly the same property a couple of doors up (row of terraces) sold for £329,950 in 2016! And these are your typical 1970's '3 bedders' but in reality there were 2 reasonable bedrooms 11' x 10' and a 8' x 6' box room  

The madness continues....................

Edited by burk

Reminds me a little of when I lived on a new build estate in 2004, a couple moved into one of the houses and were quickly named 'posh & becks' for their appearance/cars etc.

A couple of years later they had vanished and the house had changed hands, the new owner said the house had not been cleaned for years , filth in the kitchen and the scum/mould in the bath was so bad that it couldn't be cleaned off so they had to replace it with a new one. Nice.