House Price Crash Forum

3 hours ago, Si1 said:

nice house. nice car. only 30k in savings??

hum don't think it said he only had 30k he may have much more or he may not 

2 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

So how much taxpayer money has he wasted on the other side? 

Probably none usually if you lose in court you pay the other sides costs - that is one reason it is a very risky thing to do 

2 hours ago, hurlerontheditch said:

definitely a brexit voter!

fgs why do some people have to mention brexit at every opportunity - this has b all to do with brexit zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

7 minutes ago, mallish said:

Probably none usually if you lose in court you pay the other sides costs - that is one reason it is a very risky thing to do 

fgs why do some people have to mention brexit at every opportunity - this has b all to do with brexit zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

city life pizza GIF by Sherchle

My God!

Only fight legal battles where you are pretty sure you will win. Otherwise, cut your losses and swallow your pride. (The fact that you are facing a legal battle usualy indicates that you have managed the situation badly.)

Few years ago I received a parking fine from parking in Leeds. The fine was issued about 6 weeks after parking and I knew I had paid the levy but apparently this company was renowned for this scam....because who keeps the old ticket etc? 

I felt just like this fella....furious, happy to write lots of emails, moan, use appeal process etc but would NOT have spent even £100 to fight it. The fine was £60 but my revenge would be ensuring the company earns their money. 

After a week of emails I then realised the parking was for work so I had the receipt. Sent it in but the disputed it because that wasn’t evidence that the ticket was mine. I let them write to me 4 more times before responding explaining I paid by credit card at exactly the time recorded. Never heard from them again....shame because I was hoping they would take me to court. 

So I KNEW 100% I was right. Had evidence  

But if you tell me I was doing 35 in a 30, not sure....this guy seems absolutely certain. I never speed and definitely not in my local 30s zones. But if someone told me I had done 35 whilst surprised I wouldn’t bet my life on being right. I think an appeals process, lots of emails and ensuring it cost them £200 in time to collect their fine would be my ‘little justice’. To risk £30k....too much. Too entitled and too certain of his innocence and if you believe in our legal system (and this seems to have been robustly tested in this case) they also believe the chap was guilty. 

Lazy journalism (again) because the guy mentions £30k inheritance. They should clarify exactly how much the man is worth and what his son will be left (house, car, other savings) or not mention the ‘sob sob’ quote. They mention it so they should clarify it. I bet there is a little more than £30k in the coffers. 

We all get p155ed off when we think we are right. But don’t put £30k on the table to make a point.

The issue here is he believes he wasn’t speeding (and I believe he believes that) but he doesn’t 100% know that. 

19 hours ago, Si1 said:

nice house. nice car. only 30k in savings??

Who knows, but if any spare waiting to be used productively or sensibly, had better either give up the car or not put his foot down (or in it) in future.😉

17 hours ago, mallish said:

I thought that when he said he'd spent his sons inheritance that implied there was nothing left. I may have read too much into it :)

The statistics for the % of drivers exceeding the speed limit in 20s/30s/60s and motorways in the article is very eye opening.

only 10% do in a 60 supposedly whereas the others are full of speeding drivers. 

which goes to show either how little those lovely NSL roads are tracked....

....long may that continue 🏍🏍🏍

12 minutes ago, Frugal Git said:

The statistics for the % of drivers exceeding the speed limit in 20s/30s/60s and motorways in the article is very eye opening.

🏍 never understand why anyone who likes a bit of freedom doesn’t have small plates only use and construction offence no points. It’s like they want to get caught ....😂😂

15 hours ago, Pop321 said:

Few years ago I received a parking fine from parking in Leeds. The fine was issued about 6 weeks after parking and I knew I had paid the levy but apparently this company was renowned for this scam....because who keeps the old ticket etc? 

I felt just like this fella....furious, happy to write lots of emails, moan, use appeal process etc but would NOT have spent even £100 to fight it. The fine was £60 but my revenge would be ensuring the company earns their money. 

After a week of emails I then realised the parking was for work so I had the receipt. Sent it in but the disputed it because that wasn’t evidence that the ticket was mine. I let them write to me 4 more times before responding explaining I paid by credit card at exactly the time recorded. Never heard from them again....shame because I was hoping they would take me to court. 

So I KNEW 100% I was right. Had evidence  

But if you tell me I was doing 35 in a 30, not sure....this guy seems absolutely certain. I never speed and definitely not in my local 30s zones. But if someone told me I had done 35 whilst surprised I wouldn’t bet my life on being right. I think an appeals process, lots of emails and ensuring it cost them £200 in time to collect their fine would be my ‘little justice’. To risk £30k....too much. Too entitled and too certain of his innocence and if you believe in our legal system (and this seems to have been robustly tested in this case) they also believe the chap was guilty. 

Lazy journalism (again) because the guy mentions £30k inheritance. They should clarify exactly how much the man is worth and what his son will be left (house, car, other savings) or not mention the ‘sob sob’ quote. They mention it so they should clarify it. I bet there is a little more than £30k in the coffers. 

We all get p155ed off when we think we are right. But don’t put £30k on the table to make a point.

The issue here is he believes he wasn’t speeding (and I believe he believes that) but he doesn’t 100% know that. 

Pragmatism is often as rare as common sense - my Dad often quoted a story from the US where there is a tombstone on a highway with the inscription ‘Here lies Frank - he had the right of way’ or similar 

Good lesson in life to remember 

1 hour ago, Frugal Git said:

I don't think it's necessarily to do with tracking.  

One can go over the limit is 20-30 road and still feel in control, as the initial limit is low.

70s are dual carriageways, so when something does go wrong, there isn't head on smash with the oncoming traffic; and there is more room for overtaking

60s are deadly if crashed into oncoming traffic; lots of 60s are narrow and/or low visibility country roads where going above 30 is already pretty dangerous but the speed limit defaults to 60 as it's not inside settlements