House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stillLooking

First-time Buyers 'may Overpay'

WTF?

How the hell can the BBC give this nothing story, number one spot on its business page!!!!

The BBC does not comment on Hometrack surveys but will highlight a report by a research house no one has heard of, just because it is bullish on the housing market.

Pathetic. :angry:

"First time buyers to pay 20 x the asking price of their first property"

"This is indeed good News for the Halifix, who reported All-time record profits in 2005. The Halifix went on to say that house prices were to rise 200% this year & urged first time buyers everywhere to buy now, a spokesperson commented.

Meanwhile, a Journalist at the BBC was accused of setting up Vested Interest propaganda reports on the Housing Market, the accusers saying he was bribed by the Halifix into submitting their report for a hefty amount. The Journalist went on to say that this is nonsense, that he only makes a balanced & impartial view of the market, and has no financial interest in it whatsoever!"

Leaked document from No. 11:

. . .we must not overlook the importance of neutralising the flow of negative news regarding house prices. The Government must not allow sentiment to move too far negative as it may prove impossible to reverse the process once the market realises the true position. We must accordingly continue to release stories about how the market still has sufficient buyers and that these are willing to pay even more than asking price to secure a home. Emphasise only those areas where our friends at the banks and other lenders say prices are rising and ignore areas where prices are falling. Say nothing about world interest rates and how they are rising as this may give the impression that UK rates will soon have to follow--which they will not until at least May. This week's news about rising numbers of bankruptcies and repossessions will soon be forgotten provided you do not mention again. Finally, you need to mainatin an appearance of impartiallity in which case do not neglect the occasional sob story about some pathetic FTB who can't afford to get on the ladder because they aren't willing to work hard and save.

Wouldn't it be nice...... ;)

Where do I click on the bbc page to write a complaint about this article?

What a load of tripe.

Hoover is going bust, US jobs are down and bankrupcies are on the increase; yet this articel is their lead story!!!

Seriously can some-one please tell me how to complain to the BBC.

hehehe quality. That's definitely one for the file and will be in years to come a good example of blatant housing spin at the top of the bubble.

What utter dribble!

p.s. There's an article on page 4 of today's Times with lots of nice looking graphs showing the reality of what is going on with regards to unemployment, home repossesions, debt etc. If only those two articles could be found on the same page that would have made my day.

Hi,

Beggars belief. HOW is this news and not just advertising (for which the BBC are not meant to do. Hummm, wonder if anyone is receiving brown envelopes stuffed full of used tenners in a car park in Acton, late in the night)? And why don't they just print at the bottom of the article ;

"If you would like to discuss any issues relating this article, the Halifax building Society are waiting to take your call NOW"

Here you go Mr. and Ms. BBC if you're reading, I've got another groundbreaking "research" article for you to reprint ;

http://www.therockalltimes.co.uk/2002/01/2...ndividuals.html

Boffins discover how to quieten bothersome individuals

Results of ten-year study released today

by Kieren McCarthy

Another non piece of non news reported by the BBC.

What's the point of it?

+ To warn FTBers not to overpay?

+ To keep the euphoria about house prices going?

+ To sneakly get in another opinion that the housing market is to rise?

The BBC are in super spin mode.

Another non piece of non news reported by the BBC.

What's the point of it?

+ To warn FTBers not to overpay?

+ To keep the euphoria about house prices going?

+ To sneakly get in another opinion that the housing market is to rise?

The BBC are in super spin mode.

it has to end though Jason surely? Hot air alone can only keep balloons afloat for so long.

Well the Times today decribed the housing market as having been 'Healthy' for the past couple of years. Not sure how they work out that description. I would decribe it as morbidly obese!

Well the Times today decribed the housing market as having been 'Healthy' for the past couple of years. Not sure how they work out that description. I would decribe it as morbidly obese!

The housing market is healthy, its what is holding it up that is sick. Bankruptcy, insolvency, repossessions, rising unemployment, yawning trade gaps, rising IR, declining retail sales . . .

I'd like to be earning so much that I could afford to offer the asking price on a property :( Still, the 135% pay-increase I'd need to be able to do that must surely be as likely as further HPI :rolleyes:

Is it me or has the article changed since this morning?

Indeed it has!, much of the original report has been edited out, & now just says "First time buyers may over pay", a survey Suggests.

I remembered the article was produced at just after midnight last night with the time bar at the top, it's now coming up as last updated 1600hrs today! :lol::rolleyes:;)