House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Nice

Americans Owe $500,000 Per Family

http://dollarcollapse.com/faq/

Add it all up, and U.S. debt now comes to about $37 trillion, or $500,000 per family of four, a clearly unsustainable burden. When our trading partners figure out that we’re no longer solvent, they’ll stop lending us money (that is, they’ll use their dollars to buy euros or yen or gold rather than U.S. bonds), and the value of the dollar will plunge. The process has already begun, with decreasing demand for dollars sending the value of the dollar down by about a third in the past three years. But this is just the beginning

Is 2006 the year when this unwinds?

The fear index.

http://dollarcollapse.com/images/fear_indx_lg.jpg

Remember the trend is your friend :)

Edited by Mr_Nice

As goes the dollar so goes the pound and, probably the Euro. Interdependence. When America catches a cold Europe gets the flu and all that.

So much instability in the world makes it impossible to predict where currencies are headed. I do not like sterling because the "miracle economy" is unwinding a lot faster than most had expected with rising unemployment, increasing bankruptices/repossessions and, more importantly, rising company liquidations. Add on a growing twin deficit at 5% of GDP and rampant inflation (fuel, house prices, taxes etc) and you have a sterling crisis as Brown can't raise IR.

If Iran gets greased and the middle east catches fire with a spillover in Europe the safety bet will be taken: US Treasuries.

I prefer to stay 80% in US cash/bonds and equities with 20% spread in other markets weighted toward Japan and Canada.

Edited by Realistbear

http://dollarcollapse.com/faq/

Add it all up, and U.S. debt now comes to about $37 trillion, or $500,000 per family of four, a clearly unsustainable burden. When our trading partners figure out that we’re no longer solvent, they’ll stop lending us money (that is, they’ll use their dollars to buy euros or yen or gold rather than U.S. bonds), and the value of the dollar will plunge. The process has already begun, with decreasing demand for dollars sending the value of the dollar down by about a third in the past three years. But this is just the beginning

Is 2006 the year when this unwinds?

The fear index.

http://dollarcollapse.com/images/fear_indx_lg.jpg

Remember the trend is your friend :)

well spotted....and NO 2006 is NOT the year it unwinds!!!

....to the victor,the spoils.that's all I can say for now.....you won't see the real damage for a couple of years yet.

I do not like sterling because the "miracle economy" is unwinding a lot faster than most had expected

Indeed: I hadn't expected it to get this bad until 2007... otherwise I'd have got out of Sterling much earlier than I did. My only real concern is that money might move from the dollar to the Euro, and drag up the pound in the process.

Life was much easier when I was broke and didn't have to worry about all these stupid financial things...