House Price Crash Forum
sammersmith

S21 gives our tenants clarity on their rights

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/council-man-city-owners-threaten-16805341

A spokesperson added: "It gives our tenants clarity on their rights, and it also protects us as a landlord by following the government process, should a tenant refuse to leave. Section 21 is entirely unrelated to rental increases."

Manchester Council backed Manchester Life's use of the section 21 notices, saying they 'do have a legitimate use' and that they have 'every confidence' that the developer has been 'transparent' in its dealings with tenants.

Obviously Manchester City Council don't support a tenant's right to a statutory periodic tenancy. Nice that my council tax helped prop up these parasites. 

"Twelve weeks before the end of the tenancy we send a letter advising that the period is coming to an end and we will be issuing a Section 21 letter.

"We then issue the Section 21 and immediately follow with a letter offering a new tenancy and the rental increasing, which honours our RPI increase commitment.

Nasty practice to scare young and naive tenants (1k pcm in Ancoats) into forfeiting their rights.

I've not seen any truer proof of what i've always suspected: S21 is a negotiating tactic to empower landlords and hold the threat of eviction over tenants to keep them compliant. Far from the the seldom used necessity to evict problem tenants without burdening the courts often cited by landlords and letting agents. 

S21 needs to be banned and i'm a little surprised to see its routine misuse being so blatantly outlined in the MEN. 

This definitely gives the lie to the propaganda that institutional landlords will be any better than mom 'n pop BTLers. Institutions can be scumbags too.

On 28/08/2019 at 14:19, Dorkins said:

This definitely gives the lie to the propaganda that institutional landlords will be any better than mom 'n pop BTLers. Institutions can be scumbags too.

Very true - the problem is that people with power can become nasty.

Someone i know rented from them (around ancoats) and these dirtbags pulled the exact same trick.

Now him and the wife had already decided they were gonna leave so they said it was a good feeling basically telling them to do one and theyre leaving at the end of the tenancy anyway.

I'd like to say grow some balls manchester council, but when you cant even empty my bins properly, what hope do I have you taking on agents taking the p*ss.