House Price Crash Forum

Which Is The Better Of Two Evils

HOLA441
HOLA442

Is it better to buy a cheaper house, under 250k which you know will fall quite a lot or a bigger house in a better area for about 350k that will probably fall by less but the overall amount might be the same or more ??

Does that make sense ???

Your gonna loose 100K no matter what? I'd go with the cheaper one, a smaller mortgage.

Or even better drag your feet and not buy at all.

HOLA443

Is it better to buy a cheaper house, under 250k which you know will fall quite a lot or a bigger house in a better area for about 350k that will probably fall by less but the overall amount might be the same or more ??

Does that make sense ???

If you can easily afford the bigger house go for that. Presumably it's going to be your home? To live in?

Buy it and relax, enjoy your life, you only get one - there are worse things to worry about.

HOLA444

Does that make sense ???

If the cash value of the capital loss is about the same, then it becomes a 'lifestyle' issue. Do you want to pay more for council tax, utilities etc. for the same period for the bigger house (i.e. a 'lifestyle' overhead)?

Would you be moving in the future, i.e. over what period would you crystalise your loss?

If you haven't started a family yet, would the more expensive property be the 'family home' for the next 25 years?

If the cheaper property is a flat, what happens when you start a family in 5 years time?

etc.

etc.

etc.

There is no 'right' answer.

It all depends on your circumstances.

I hope the above questions get you thinking in a direction that is appropriate for your own personal circumstances.

Think it through.

Good luck.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I am trying not to buy, we are looking at 4 properties tomorrow, 2 to buy and 2 to rent.

Do you really think we're talking 100k now ? I might be able to bring myself to live in rented a while longer for a 100k

I just pulled that number out of the air, to use for an example. However 40% of 250K is 100K