House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
r thritis

Offers In Excess Of ...

Trying to give the impression that the house is so damn great that there are a queue of buyers lining up, and we must all rush to put in offers above this amount to ensure we don't miss out on it.

Do what I do (and this is just becuase i'm a sad git)

Find a house for sale and see if the ownder is trying to flip by checking nethouseprices

Arrange for a viewing.

Go see the house

Comment on how you like it

Comment on how you don't want the market ot crash in 80s (be subtle)

Next day make an offer 30 - 40% under the price (depends on how greedy they are)

The greedier they are, the more I knock off.

Guest Guy_Montag

"Offers over..." is normal in Scotland. One of my friends lost out by an offer 80% over what was asked for. My parents got 60% over the valuation when they moved last. Still once you have your offer accepted, it's accepted, no gazzumping.

"Offers over..." is normal in Scotland. One of my friends lost out by an offer 80% over what was asked for. My parents got 60% over the valuation when they moved last. Still once you have your offer accepted, it's accepted, no gazzumping.

I just had my friend on the phone, ex council house in inverness offers over £95k, he put offer in of £111k (valued at £108k) and was told today there was 10 bids and it went for over £120k! He just wasted £500. The system needs to change in Scotland.

Only binding when missives are exchange - used to be acouple of days - now canbe a couple of weeks. Still nothing like England although gazundering is happening sometimes.

I've seen a house for sale - 2 bedroom converted detached coach house with garage and small garden in a decent area - thats been on the market for months and months - its been reduced and has offers over £134995 now!

I'd pay 119K max!

I just had my friend on the phone, ex council house in inverness offers over £95k, he put offer in of £111k (valued at £108k) and was told today there was 10 bids and it went for over £120k! He just wasted £500. The system needs to change in Scotland.

How did it mange to cost him £500? It dose not cost anything to put a bid in in Scotland. You just get an agent to put a bid in subject to the survey being alright. The agent will tell you what she thinks is a reasonable bid.

Edited by jellybean

I've seen a house for sale - 2 bedroom converted detached coach house with garage and small garden in a decent area - thats been on the market for months and months - its been reduced and has offers over £134995 now!

I'd pay 119K max!

Round my way something like that'd be twice that much at least, bargain!

Why did it cost him £500?? Few solicitors charge for putting in offers (unless you take the pi** and put in loads of silly offers wasting their time) and it is usual now to put in your offer 'subject to survey' so you only pay for a survey if you win the bidding..

Why did it cost him £500?? Few solicitors charge for putting in offers (unless you take the pi** and put in loads of silly offers wasting their time) and it is usual now to put in your offer 'subject to survey' so you only pay for a survey if you win the bidding..

Someone saw him comming.

He had a survey done and I think the solicitor did charge him. It was the first house they have gone for, I am sure they will learn for next time, but I told him to wait a couple of years as it is getting silly up here.

Maybe the cost of a survey? In scotland I think you have to get your survey done before you offer as your offer is unconditional and binding. I think that they don't have EA's in Scotland either.

Trying to give the impression that the house is so damn great that there are a queue of buyers lining up, and we must all rush to put in offers above this amount to ensure we don't miss out on it.

The system benefits the seller asthey get the top price someone is prepared to pay. Friends of mine put their 2-bed flat on at offers over 182k. They were really hoping to get 225k absolute max and if they had put it on at 'fixed price' they'd have put it on at that price.

They got 12 notes of interest, 9 offers at the closing date and sold it for 232k. They win.

Round my way something like that'd be twice that much at least, bargain!

Inverness is to far North for human habitation. Only fit for whales. A dodgy proposition anyway given the forecast that the population in a lot of northern cities is due to fall by 20% (I think) in the next few years.

Maybe the cost of a survey? In scotland I think you have to get your survey done before you offer as your offer is unconditional and binding. I think that they don't have EA's in Scotland either.

No - I live in Scotland. That used to be what happened but not now. Now your solicitor (not EA) generally puts in your bid 'subject to survey' which means if your offer is top and is accepted you THEN get a survey done and can change your offer or pull out as long as missives (the binding contract) have not been exchanged. Your offer is not unconditional because it is 'subject to survey'. You can also gazump and gazunder during the offer and missive exchange but your solicitor will not be pleased with you!

Don't believe everything Kirsty and Phil say.They talk out of their bums most of the time!

Edited by miro2021

He had a survey done and I think the solicitor did charge him. It was the first house they have gone for, I am sure they will learn for next time, but I told him to wait a couple of years as it is getting silly up here.

Yes probably good advice. If they do go for another one though get them to shop around fora good solicitor who doesn't charge for putting in offers (it's just sending a fax anyway!!) and only get a survey if they win the bid (i hope the 500 survey wasn't just a 'homebuyers' survey as that is an extortionate price should be half that)

It is no longer the case that you cannot be gazumped in Scotland. It is now being done so regularly that the Law Society was compelled to send an instruction to all solicitors. The solicitors are complicit in it, and remain so.

So now Scotland has the worst position where you bid blind in an offers over competition and can still be gazumped even though you win the bidding war.

I know from experience because I was gazumped, despite offering 24% over the O/O price, and it being accepted. A verbal offer and acceptance between solicitors no longer means anything. Nothing is binding until the missives are signed by both parties.

I no longer have any trust in solicitors. In fact last week a prominent member of the Law Society was attacked and stabbed 20 times. The police reckon it was a contract taken out by a fellow solicitor who was being investigated by this person in the Law Society.

Greed has no bounds. I think some of them operate like a local mafia.

Inverness is to far North for human habitation. Only fit for whales. A dodgy proposition anyway given the forecast that the population in a lot of northern cities is due to fall by 20% (I think) in the next few years.

Any ideas where you heard that – I thought that the Scottish population was going to continue growing until 2025?

Any ideas where you heard that – I thought that the Scottish population was going to continue growing until 2025?

Possibly the Scotsman. I am sure it was a survey for the executive. The forecast was for Scotlands population to remain broadly stable for the next five years. Due to imigration. Following years to show a slight decline.

The main feature of the report however was a population movement from the Northern cities, Aberdeen, Dundee and the like to the central belt. I am not sure of the exact figure but it was high.

If I remeber right it was arround 20%.

The only way the scots are growing is outwards at the belly. Did you know the scots have the highest consumption of lard per head of any country in western europe. And also the highest incidence of heart disease? At this rate most of them will die in their 50s from massive heart attacks. thereby increasing the amount of available housing and dropping property prices. ;)

The only way the scots are growing is outwards at the belly. Did you know the scots have the highest consumption of lard per head of any country in western europe. And also the highest incidence of heart disease? At this rate most of them will die in their 50s from massive heart attacks. thereby increasing the amount of available housing and dropping property prices. ;)

True. But on the plus side their are thousands of miles of unspoiled countryside, lochs and mountains, housing is realatively cheap, the cost of living is lower, cars can still move on the roads, population density is mutch lower, the pace of life is slower, quality of life is better and the air is cleaner. I would'nt say the people are any nicer. Most of my closest friend seem to be from Hampshire for some reason.

Edited by jellybean

True. But on the plus side their are thousands of miles of unspoiled countryside, lochs and mountains, housing is realatively cheap, the cost of living is lower, cars can still move on the roads, population density is mutch lower, the pace of life is slower, quality of life is better and the air is cleaner. I would'nt say the people are any nicer. Most of my closest friend seem to be from Hampshire for some reason.

It is be-oo-ti-ful but the weather's cr*p :D

Edited by BricksandMortar

Offer them £1 less and see what they do, if they accept offer then 50% below ;)