The buy-to-let bubble has well and truly burst

HOLA441
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
11 minutes ago, rollover said:

It is not the main headline just yet, but the good news is slowly seeping through.

But there is still a silver lining :rolleyes:.

The good news is that there are still some opportunities to make money — typically in areas with low property prices and strong demand for rentals.

The Northern Powerhouse cities of Newcastle, Liverpool and Hull have all seen strong growth in buy-to-let lending, according to UK Finance.

HOLA443
26 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

But there is still a silver lining :rolleyes:.

The good news is that there are still some opportunities to make money — typically in areas with low property prices and strong demand for rentals.

The Northern Powerhouse cities of Newcastle, Liverpool and Hull have all seen strong growth in buy-to-let lending, according to UK Finance.

Newcastle I can just about see, Liverpool and Hull really (they are seaside ports where the population and work prospects are continually reducing)..

HOLA444
HOLA445

Still plenty of people wanting on the BTL gravy train, or doubling down on existing BTL investments. This thread on MSE today...how do I buy a third BTL without telling my husband while I'm up to my eyes in credit card debt.

I've heard a couple of 'savvy' btl investors at work trying to offload their portfolios... But I think the general mood among sheep investors is that BTL is still the game to be in. 

Edited by regprentice

HOLA446
3 minutes ago, regprentice said:

Still plenty of people wanting on the BTL gravy train, or doubling down on existing BTL investments. This thread on MSE today...how do I buy a third BTL without telling my husband while I'm up to my eyes in credit card debt.

I've heard a couple of 'savvy' btl investors at work trying to offload their portfolios... But I think the general mood among sheep investors is that BTL is still the game to be in. 

Tell me more, tell me more
Was it love at first sight?

Tell me more, tell me more
How much dough did he spend?

HOLA447
5 minutes ago, regprentice said:

This sort of nonsense would end if they brought back debtors prisons instead of bailing the idiots out!

HOLA448

The bad landlords spoil it for the rest.......debt interest rates flat on the floor and rents have been rising well above inflation......more people being squeezed into smaller space to collect more rent from low wage earners...some awful living conditions, sub letting and poor or no maintenance to property.....many would expect to be paid to live there or would prefer to sleep on the street.?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
23 minutes ago, slawek said:

BTL lending has been stable last few years, no sign of a collapse

image.png.7cadd70990e5200e62a52edcbd2676c8.png

Source: https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/data/mlar-statistics-june-2019-detailed-long-run.xlsx

They are pro cyclical and they seem to be the marginal buyer during booms... this DOES mean that it will go crashing down when they start seeing house price declines, but now in most of the South their cash flow will be negative... it’s going to be EPIC!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
25 minutes ago, slawek said:

BTL lending has been stable last few years, no sign of a collapse

image.png.7cadd70990e5200e62a52edcbd2676c8.png

Source: https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/data/mlar-statistics-june-2019-detailed-long-run.xlsx

That chart is not telling the whole story......it is not stable compared to HPI....it is telling you less debt being taken on.

What percentage of BTL meaning bought outright with cash rented properties are there in the market?

Is it more landlords quiting the letting market and a few established buying more stock?

....are there more trying to reduce their debt on btls because holding the debt is now not so profitable?

?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
7 minutes ago, winkie said:

That chart is not telling the whole story......it is not stable compared to HPI....it is telling you less debt being taken on.

What percentage of BTL meaning bought outright with cash rented properties are there in the market?

Is it more landlords quiting the letting market and a few established buying more stock?

....are there more trying to reduce their debt on btls because holding the debt is now not so profitable?

?

My guess is that leveraged BTLs should be first to jump the ship due to tax changes and a higher risk they have taken.  If they don't panic then cash buyers are likely not doing this either. 

It doesn't seem that leverages BTLs are leaving the market yet, the outstanding loans are still growing (faster than HPI) 

image.png.c45b051c425102e2c878dd160dbe81ac.png  

HOLA4416
2 hours ago, regprentice said:

that MSE thread is crazy!!

38k in credit card debt on 0% teaser rates and no job but wants another BTL

HOLA4417
45 minutes ago, slawek said:

My guess is that leveraged BTLs should be first to jump the ship due to tax changes and a higher risk they have taken.  If they don't panic then cash buyers are likely not doing this either. 

It doesn't seem that leverages BTLs are leaving the market yet, the outstanding loans are still growing (faster than HPI) 

image.png.c45b051c425102e2c878dd160dbe81ac.png  

With banks still providing 5 year fixed rate BTL mortgages at 2.2% its hard to see a crash happening until at least 2024.

These mortgages will enable BTLers to put off the day of reckoning and unless intending to switch the mortgage into another BTL disincentives sales.  

HOLA4418
2 hours ago, winkie said:

The bad landlords spoil it for the rest.......debt interest rates flat on the floor and rents have been rising well above inflation......more people being squeezed into smaller space to collect more rent from low wage earners...some awful living conditions, sub letting and poor or no maintenance to property.....many would expect to be paid to live there or would prefer to sleep on the street.?

I think that'll be the BoE rather than bad landlords. They are debt pushers supplying the debt junkies. Watch them slash rates to zero and blame Brexit if prices continue to slide.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
3 hours ago, regprentice said:

Reading the comments, she is obsessed like a gambling addict. What happens if there is a recession and she can't rent them out? It's insane that we are producing these kinds of people in the UK. The whole thing is insane.

HOLA4421
26 minutes ago, spyguy said:

You sure thats not remortgages?

Looking at the most stats linked the graph looks right. Between £62 and £73Bn on gross new mortgage business written each quarter last year with roughly 13-14% of that for BTL gives roughly £8.7-9bn of BTL lending each quarter. 

It's easier to see on the summary table 1a https://www.fca.org.uk/data/mortgage-lending-statistics

Interesting that on this table the amount taken in mortgages is flat, yet the volumes in the DM article the number of mortgages issues has fallen around 60% (iirc it was 170k to 70k) in a rising market suggests fewer BTL mortgages being issued for larger and larger amounts. 

Edit. Spy guy is right those figures include mortgages (at very roughly 40% of all mortgages) but there doesn't appear to be a table which identifies mortgages as a proportion of btl. I'm struggling to read the spreadsheets on a mobile. 

Edited by regprentice

HOLA4422
22 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

Reading the comments, she is obsessed like a gambling addict. What happens if there is a recession and she can't rent them out? It's insane that we are producing these kinds of people in the UK. The whole thing is insane.

"Both our properties are let and the rents service the credit cards and the mortgage, its just that the cards are in my name therefore the debt shows as belonging to me" ???

hubby has a brain 

HOLA4423
59 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Looks correct. There doesn't appear to be any slowing in BTL or other residential mortgage lending yet. Total outstanding appears to be an upward linear trend.

Balances of residential loans to individuals: All (Regulated and Non-regulated)

2007 Q1        2019 Q1
BTL          £75bn           £212bn
ALL          £881bn          £1.35tr

Edited by Captain Kirk

HOLA4424
40 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Data are reported under headers "Advances/Home purchase/Buy to let". Remortgages are reported separately. I don't see then how they could be interpreted to include BTL remortgages.  

image.png.5e3241a1dc1ee0c09dff4536f979a04d.png 

HOLA4425