House Price Crash Forum
Saving For a Space Ship

UN Report: The full picture of Poverty in the UK is Obvious to Anyone who Opens their Eyes  

12 hours ago, sexton said:

My granny would do it. Family of five. What didn't fit in the basket was in shopping bags hung on the handlebars of her bike and me on a little seat at the back..

My 75yo mum, whos a nana, does.

Shopper on wheel. Bus to Sainsbury or Lidl, ~4 miles away. Does a shop. Then home.

She goes 2 or 3 times a week.

9 hours ago, spyguy said:

My 75yo mum, whos a nana, does.

Shopper on wheel. Bus to Sainsbury or Lidl, ~4 miles away. Does a shop. Then home.

She goes 2 or 3 times a week.

How old are you, this is why northerners never get to run Footsie 100 companies. 

Wow it's gotten bitter on here. I only checked in to see if there was anything interesting, sadly not, only people hating on poor people. It's all got very daily mail. I do not understand why people hate those less well off than themselves, they are not your enemy and they are not taking anything from you- if the government didn't give them the measly amounts trust me, get still wouldn't give it to the rest of us. It seems like the divide and rule tactics of blame it on the poor and blame it on the foreigners is working. Can't see much evidence of anyone actually knowing the benefit systems or what it's like to be on them from many posters here and it's bloody sad the way some of you lot are talking about other human beings. Can't you just get back to slag*ing off landlords (the real benefit scroungers)

12 hours ago, kirstieb said:

Wow it's gotten bitter on here. I only checked in to see if there was anything interesting, sadly not, only people hating on poor people. It's all got very daily mail. I do not understand why people hate those less well off than themselves, they are not your enemy and they are not taking anything from you- if the government didn't give them the measly amounts trust me, get still wouldn't give it to the rest of us. It seems like the divide and rule tactics of blame it on the poor and blame it on the foreigners is working. Can't see much evidence of anyone actually knowing the benefit systems or what it's like to be on them from many posters here and it's bloody sad the way some of you lot are talking about other human beings. Can't you just get back to slag*ing off landlords (the real benefit scroungers)

That is a real misunderstanding.  I have known people on housing benefits in housing that I couldn't afford.  If they didn't get so much what would happen to their home?

On 06/07/2019 at 17:52, Kosmin said:

Planet stats, not planet anecdote.

How many do you reckon are homeless in Southampton? Apparently it's a few hundred here in Brighton and Hove. This has no bearing on 14 million having an income of 60% of the average and this being incorrectly labelled as "in poverty."

On 07/07/2019 at 11:07, spyguy said:

Being an old blue collary collective Labour type, step back and have a look at:

The Five Giants

The committee, led by Beveridge, identified five major problems which prevented people from bettering themselves:

• want (caused by poverty)
  • ignorance (caused by a lack of education)
  • squalor (caused by poor housing)
  • idleness (caused by a lack of jobs, or the ability to gain employment)
  • disease (caused by inadequate health care provision)

Poverty is a bit flexbie. Noone i nthe uK is poor by the absolute poverty standrads, where people are getting less than the 1500kcal/day. In fact, the opposite is true for the UK 'poor'

Ignorance. Has one of the highest spend per head i nthe world. The 'poor' kids at Mrs spys school tend to have the wrose attendance record, and Im talking about ~5 off/month. Rains - they dont come in.

Squalor. Nope. mrs spys dfoes home visits when they start. They are all well housed, in a styl that would have been luxsuros back inthe 80s - central heating, wellbuilt if a bit small houses.

Idleness - Yep. Tehy struggle to hold down 16h/w jobs. Becasuwe they cannot follow instructions or handle people.

Desease - Bar dumb arses refusing MMR, infectious desease, as a major problem, has not existed in the UK since Polio was sorted.

Brighton is a good example of how the giant of poverty is dead in the UK in 2019.

According to Brighton Housing Trust, which I work with, at any given time there are approximately 75 people who are homeless in Brighton.  Anyone can become homeless, but in order to remain homeless a person has to refuse several opportunities to be given a home.  The vast majority of the people who are homeless in Brighton aren't homeless due to poverty, they are what local authorities call 'intentionally homeless'.