House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bubble

In An Effort To Prevent Divorce

No offence taken Mags, I've had lots of arguments with my wife about this - I've directed her to this site. We're fortunate to be in a financially strong position, but that doesn't mean I like throwing money away and that's essentially what I know we'll be doing. We're currently renting a very nice property at a sensible rate - I'm okay with it, but she has a strong nesting feeling and its difficult for her to fight this (even though she also understands the current position). I think my best hope is to delay until the spring rush is over and see if I can get a 'bargain' in the summer...

I know its worth waiting, but the reality is when you're married you have to consider your partners feelings - in this case she's respected my view for some years - the reality is, even if I'm right and prices fall in due course, I now have to respect hers. Having waited this long, can you give me a more definative signal that prices will take a bigger tumble by the end of the year? Most of us agree that prices are going to fall at some stage, but unfortunately no one on this board can claim to know or provide a basis as to the timeframe.

Just remember, X% of £350,000 is a lot more than X% of £200,000.

Also, if you're partner is pregnant and due before September, you have 3 years before you need to move into a good school catchment, if you're into that sort of thing. If she's due post-September, then you have about 4 years.

So, perhaps it's best to buy cheaply now and aim to move again in 3/4 years.

Cheers,

T&T

The property i live in has a covenant resticting me from erecting or suffer to be erected a water corn mill or corn mills, also i am not allowed to obstruct the river running nearby.

I was so looking forward to building a mill. :lol:

One house we had, we were not allowed to carry out bone boiling!

a few K over 25 years? Well its normally about a few K x 1.7-2 - that makes it a lot more 'few K'

Jeez the stupidity. :rolleyes:

Are you serious?

Work out the inflation over 25 years and see how insignificant that money is.

Are you saying you would walk away from the ideal property just for the sake of £5k?

What is an extra £5k in terms of monthly payments over 25years? (sod all, even today. It'll be even less than sod all in 10 years' time)

Bubble is buying a house to raise a family. I'm offering the advice to be VERY patient and wait for the right property and then be prepared to put in a quick strong offer.

Good properties sell fast too so the extra £ks will be lost in the noise when Bubble looks to move up the ladder in a few years.

Have you actually ever bought a house OzzMosiz?

Okay guys, I've held out for 6 years (yup you read right) and have never hunted to buy a house with an estate agent before, but seriously depsite the impending doom I can see, I just can't take the crap from the wife any more. Just need some help from you guys - what 10 questions would you ask either the owner/tenant about the property (and serious ones please) - just don't want to look like the inexperienced buyer that I really am....

It will be cheaper than divorce I can tell you that Bubble!

Just to add to GivenUp's comment, if you have viewed a house a few times and are pretty sure it's 'the one' knock on the neighbours door. We had two older cats at the time of our last purchase and so some consideration of their needs had to take place and I had noticed a few small metal structures in this neighbouring garden. I thought they might pose a hazard, so I went around said hello and struck up a general conversation. It turned out he hated cats and had set traps, regularly hosed down other cats, etc. We found another house. We met another couple who told us they thought about four foot of the back garden was theirs and they were going to fight for it (something that didn't show in the EA details and would only have come up when the solictor had done expensive searches).

The up side is you can meet some great people, think they will be good neighbours, it disolves some of the worries about a move and has broken the ice when you move (so they come around with a bottle of wine and invite you for tea just when you have had enough of unpacking boxes).

Oh, and congratulations on your forthcoming little bubble.

Congratulations btw, I totally understand how your wife feels, we are being forced to wait this out as I don't think we can afford anything nice anyway.

Good luck and top tips about the neighbours.

One more idea is there anyway you could rent a house that you know is for sale for 6 months, just thinking that way you really get to know the house and the area. We've lived in 2 rented houses now, both of which i would have bought the first day we moved in and am now looking forward to moving out of for various reasons.