House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bubble

In An Effort To Prevent Divorce

Okay guys, I've held out for 6 years (yup you read right) and have never hunted to buy a house with an estate agent before, but seriously depsite the impending doom I can see, I just can't take the crap from the wife any more. Just need some help from you guys - what 10 questions would you ask either the owner/tenant about the property (and serious ones please) - just don't want to look like the inexperienced buyer that I really am....

Probably a list on some site somewhere.

One thing I've never seen mentioned that I picked up on last time is to ask if there are any restrictive covenants in the Title Deeds.

There usually are and some are pretty standard but there can be some odd ones that may influence any decision.

One important thing is to go see any place you are interested in at different times on different days to try to see if there are any problems in the area.

Is it Upmystreet where you can lookup lots of area details from a postcode?

Edited by Mushroom

Okay guys, I've held out for 6 years (yup you read right) and have never hunted to buy a house with an estate agent before, but seriously depsite the impending doom I can see, I just can't take the crap from the wife any more. Just need some help from you guys - what 10 questions would you ask either the owner/tenant about the property (and serious ones please) - just don't want to look like the inexperienced buyer that I really am....

Elizabeth posted a good list of things to look out for in this thread:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=23446

I assume you are not interested in a quick reminder of why there's never been a worse time in history to be buying a house? No, didn't think so. Just like all those 'forced sellers' that we gleefully anticipate, there are bound to be some 'forced buyers' too. Just think of all the 'told you so''s that you have in store...

Um off top of head...

Why are you looking to move? / Have you lived here long?

Have you done any DIY 'improvements' to the house yourself?

How old is the boiler/central heating system?

Has it been regularly serviced?

Has the house been rewired?

How much are the utility bills?

There's probably loads more.

DO check on the exterior of the house, the quality of the maintenance and paintwork. If the exterior has been well maintained chances are the interior has too. Look for evenness of floors/ceilings.

Do your research like a demon. Go in hideously under offer. Well as much as you can without being served divorce papers. Find a house that's been on the market ages and not shifted. Being a (potential) FTB mean no chain, use this when negotiating in your favour.

How do the places you can afford compare to where you are living at the moment? Mrs Bubble may have second thoughts if she can see herself trading down to buy.

How about...

I have nothing to sell, a mortgage set up and nothing to stop me completing on this purchase as quickly as possible. How much is that worth to you?

Then watch them salivate. You've got them in a position of want and you retain the power. :)

Does anyone think this will work?

Try bypassing the EA. Find a street you like. Produce a decent leaflet saying you and your wife are looking for a house to purchase for your own home. Put the leaflet through the letterboxes of houses in the street you are interested in. The advantage to anyone thinking of selling a house is they have an instant buyer and their will be no estate agent's fees. This may be reflected in a price lower than if your were to buy through an estate agency. You also might come across a bargain because the seller hasn't got an EA to negotiate

Edited by Padiham

Does anyone think this will work?

Try bypassing the EA. Find a street you like. Produce a decent leaflet saying you and your wife are looking for a house to purchase for your own home. Put the leaflet through the letterboxes of houses in the street you are interested in. The advantage to anyone thinking of selling a house is they have an instant buyer and their will be no estate agent's fees. This may be reflected in a price lower than if your were to buy through an estate agency. You also might come across a bargain because the seller hasn't got an EA to negotiate

A friend of mine received one of these through her door. She had a lovely house - unique in the area. It said all the usual stuff about the benefits of not going through an estate agent. She rang them and they viewed - turned out he runs the biggest estate agency in the town... she did end up selling to him. That probably tells us a lot about the methods of EAs! :)

You may not get to see the owner on your first viewing. You'll just get a sales pitch from the EA.

Also you need to be PATIENT. I might be wrong but I can see your missus 'falling for' the first half decent place she sees. Expect some grief if this is the case!

You need to buy a property that will SELL well. i.e. near good schools and on a good road. Every house will have good points and at least one bad point. Took me 6 months to find a decent place to buy back in the 90s.

It was worth the wait.

I will probably get slated by the bears for saying this but if you really do find a top property in a month or two then don't piss about. I would put in a decent offer and push for a quick sale (sell 'yourself' to the vendor as a good fast buyer) Trying to save a few £k by aggressive haggling could lose you the sale and what's a few £k over 25 years?

I will probably get slated by the bears for saying this but if you really do find a top property in a month or two then don't piss about. I would put in a decent offer and push for a quick sale (sell 'yourself' to the vendor as a good fast buyer) Trying to save a few £k by aggressive haggling could lose you the sale and what's a few £k over 25 years?

Buy, buy, buy! Every economic indicator there is says it's not a good time to buy but do it anyway! Quick! Quick! Oh, too late! You missed the boat!

Come on WaP! Would you really buy now? :)

Yeah, I got some advice. Hold the front door open, invite her to leave and ask her where she plans to live -

bit difficult to buy a house on single income.

Alternatively, let her go and find a newer, younger model by splashing all the cash you will save by waiting a bit longer. :lol:

Seriously though, this isn't a small decision. Make her trawl through every page of this site before.

Whats a couple of nights online compared to a 25 year or more commitment.

Unless you really know what you're doing, get a decent builder or other knowledgeable person to check the structural aspects since this can be VERY expensive to fix.

Also check:

That it's insulated. If there isn't any in a reasonably modern house then it's a giveaway that corners have been cut during construction to save costs. Older houses weren't built with insulation though so lack of it wouldn't be a sign of cheap construction (but will cost a fortune in heating bills if you don't put insulation in).

The wiring, plumbing etc. Check the water pressure by turning a tap on full. Look for any signs of leaks etc. Get someone to check the wiring for you.

Heating - how old? What's it run on?

Has the place been generally well maintained? If the garden's no good or there's paint peeling off then it raises questions about how well the rest of the place has been looked after.

Any evidence of mice or other pests?

A tip I got from an EA was to make sure you know EXACTLY what's included in the sale. Apparently it's not unknown for sellers to remove upmarket ovens etc or swap them for cheapies. Happens in Oz anyway and he suggested noting the make and model of any upmarket appliances that are included in the formal documentation stating exactly what is included in the property you are buying. Not sure if it's an issue where you are though.

Where will you park the car?

Is the area noisy? Near factories, rail lines, bus / transport depots, hotels / nightclubs, 24-hour shops of any kind, garages (petrol fumes), WHAT IS THE LAND AROUND IT ZONED? Not sure how the planning laws in the UK work but in Oz it's quite common to find residences in commercial areas. Live there and you run the risk that a noisy business opens literally next door.

And everything that others have already suggested.

A tip I got from an EA was to make sure you know EXACTLY what's included in the sale. Apparently it's not unknown for sellers to remove upmarket ovens etc or swap them for cheapies. Happens in Oz anyway and he suggested noting the make and model of any upmarket appliances that are included in the formal documentation stating exactly what is included in the property you are buying. Not sure if it's an issue where you are though.

That's a really good point. One house we viewed had a great kitchen but the vendor let slip that they were taking it all with them, leaving just a room. All the cabinets were free-standing but temporarily secured in place. EA conveniently forgot to establish that minor fact!

Trying to save a few £k by aggressive haggling could lose you the sale and what's a few £k over 25 years?

a few K over 25 years? Well its normally about a few K x 1.7-2 - that makes it a lot more 'few K'

Jeez the stupidity. :rolleyes:

Okay just to answer a few questions and to update you on what I've found so far - we've waited six years primarily as a function of different jobs in different locations etc. Wife having first baby and wanting to be close to in-laws etc., but to be fair to her, during this period she has always wanted to buy, with me holding back on the basis that houses are overvalued etc.. The reality is, even if I fog her off, I can't do it for much more than 6 months.

We're looking in Epsom (the Downs, Cheam Village etc), and all I can say is of four properties I liked, 2 we're able to see, the other two (which were on findaproperty) are now under offer and so the agent obviously won't show us around. I have to say, the agents didn't appear desperate (e.g. asked about Epsom Village - "no sorry nothing in that are available right now" - didn't even try to take my details or sell me another area. Certainly for this neck of the woods there doesn't seem to be much indication of HPC.

Bubble

One thing I've never seen mentioned that I picked up on last time is to ask if there are any restrictive covenants in the Title Deeds.

The property i live in has a covenant resticting me from erecting or suffer to be erected a water corn mill or corn mills, also i am not allowed to obstruct the river running nearby.

I was so looking forward to building a mill. :lol:

I reckon divorce would be less effort all around! :lol:

Okay just to answer a few questions and to update you on what I've found so far - we've waited six years primarily as a function of different jobs in different locations etc. Wife having first baby and wanting to be close to in-laws etc., but to be fair to her, during this period she has always wanted to buy, with me holding back on the basis that houses are overvalued etc.. The reality is, even if I fog her off, I can't do it for much more than 6 months.

We're looking in Epsom (the Downs, Cheam Village etc), and all I can say is of four properties I liked, 2 we're able to see, the other two (which were on findaproperty) are now under offer and so the agent obviously won't show us around. I have to say, the agents didn't appear desperate (e.g. asked about Epsom Village - "no sorry nothing in that are available right now" - didn't even try to take my details or sell me another area. Certainly for this neck of the woods there doesn't seem to be much indication of HPC.

Bubble

Perception is projection - we can convince ourselves of anything... many here are convinced it's worth waiting... you're in the process of convincing yourself that it's not worth waiting...

Perception is projection - we can convince ourselves of anything... many here are convinced it's worth waiting... you're in the process of convincing yourself that it's not worth waiting...

I know its worth waiting, but the reality is when you're married you have to consider your partners feelings - in this case she's respected my view for some years - the reality is, even if I'm right and prices fall in due course, I now have to respect hers. Having waited this long, can you give me a more definative signal that prices will take a bigger tumble by the end of the year? Most of us agree that prices are going to fall at some stage, but unfortunately no one on this board can claim to know or provide a basis as to the timeframe.

I know its worth waiting, but the reality is when you're married you have to consider your partners feelings - in this case she's respected my view for some years - the reality is, even if I'm right and prices fall in due course, I now have to respect hers. Having waited this long, can you give me a more definative signal that prices will take a bigger tumble by the end of the year? Most of us agree that prices are going to fall at some stage, but unfortunately no one on this board can claim to know or provide a basis as to the timeframe.

Sorry Bubble - I didn't intend to come over as giving you a hard time and I fully respect the way that you are considering your partner's feelings on this :) I can't give a definitive signal other than all those that are discussed on here in depth, but my perception (shared by my partner) is that we will be better off waiting and certainly won't lose out by doing that. If he held an opposing view that I felt was going to land us in a potentially insecure financial situation I'd look at discussing why he held those perceptions and seeing if it's possible to change them. Your partner has so much - a loving partner, a baby and a lifestyle that means you can afford to be thinking about living in one of the most expensive areas of the UK. That's a huge amount. You have watched the bubble develop to the point of bursting. If you can afford to take any consequences of a purchase at this point of the cycle, go for it.

I fully understand your predicament - I'd find it tough to be at odds with my partner over an issue as huge as this. :)

Very succinctly put.

People have to get on with their lives eventually. A lot easier to delay a decision if you're single.

There must be considerable pent up demand from all those people who last year put their life on hold awaiting the possibility of as crash. This year there will be a spring bounce which I think will delay the possibility of a crash til 2008 at the earliest.

I've STR'd and I'm now buying as family pressures far outweighed the possibilities of a financial gain.

Knowledge is power, so I would actively view a few properties even if you think its not the right time to buy. It gives you a much better idea of value when you finally see the house you want.

Only buy if i) you're seriously pleased with the price and ii) you're pretty sure your circumstances won't change in the next few years. Don't forget to buy and sell a property at £200K will cost you £7,000 in stamp duty, agents fees and conveyancing alone.

Bubble

The market differs accross all regions at the moment, and I've been surprised by the difference in attitude between agents in my region. Some ring my three times a week - others I get the occasional details in the post, and some I never hear from.

Unfortunately I am having to move as my current house come with the contract which comes to an end soon. I've been looking for a house to renovate while I live in it, and I have seen nothing to attract me, so I'll be renting for at least the next six months.

Edited by echo3