House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
notnow

Remember the good old days?

Being close to retirement age means that i remember when politicians would come out of their house to face the press in the past. Their  hair would be combed, they would be immaculately dressed, and their apology to the Queen, the party, the people, their family and freinds would be sincere. They would explain how the lie they told, the fraud they had committed or their betrayal of loved ones they had carried out meant that they were clearly not capable of holding public office. They would go on to explain that they would withdraw from public life, and look deeply within themselves to find why they had gone wrong. They would spend the rest of their lives trying to make up for all the hurt they had caused to those close to them.

It makes me genuinly sad that the people now accept such low standards of behaviour from those that, while claiming to represent us, lie and cheat. 

You could have written that about John Profumo.

The scandal of the "Profumo affair" was the dominant news story of my immediate pre teen years and the source of more schoolboy jokes than I can remember, yet he redeemed his reputation through devoting the rest of his long life to charitable work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Profumo

Imagine any of the current lot doing that.