House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Alfie Moon

Hpc Candidate For Local Elections 4th May 2006?

This may be a non-starter, or may be something with potential. I'm just chucking this in as an idea for discussion.

It seems to me that there is agreement amongst many of us that in addition to the underlying economic fundamentals the spin generated by the VI's about the housing market has had a significant effect in prompting many of the general public to continue to believe that high/rising house prices are a good thing and that house prices never really fall.

Some of us have sent letters to newspapers to counter the spin. This has often led to increased traffic for HPC. Discussion on HPC is then further stimulated by a wider variety of knowledge, experience and expertise. Also, the word is spread further.

An opportunity will occur in May this year for HPC to gain some publicity should it so wish to do so. There are going to be local elections in many London Boroughs and Councils across England on 4th May. Perhaps we could put forward an HPC candidate in one of the localities where elections are taking place. The agenda would simply be to draw attention to the 'spin' that VI's churn out, irresponsible mortgage lending practices, the downside of high/rising house prices and the upside of falling/lower house prices. It is of course unlikely in the extreme that the HPC candidate would gain more than a handful of votes (but getting votes wouldn't really be the point). However, local (and hopefully national) newspapers, TV and radio would be very interested. It is likely that they would want to interview the HPC candidate which would of course gain lots of publicity for the website and our arguments (just imagine Kirsty's and Phil's faces!). The media always like to have some novelty stories to report about during boring elections.

Information about where elections are taking place on 4th May can be found here:

http://www.gwydir.demon.co.uk/uklocalgov/elec2006.htm

If there was interest in pursuing this idea there would, of course, be a need to find out what the cost of putting a candidate forward would be. I'm sure plenty of us would be willing to contribute to the HPC election fund.

Personally I think this could be a major opportunity for us, others may think differently.

May the 4th be with you.

Edited by Alfie Moon

So what you're saying is that you'll go out with the intention of attempting to destroy the value of voters assets.

Typical politician, out for your own interests & not really wanting to help the public.

A better agenda would be massive pay rises, which would have the effect of inflating away existing debt and enabling younger people to afford existing or higher prices. Maybe a better political agenda then is to remove this obsession with low inflation.

IMO it's only a matter of time before it happens anyway.

So what you're saying is that you'll go out with the intention of attempting to destroy the value of voters assets.

TB and GB have been destroying voters wealth for years but they got voted back in.

TTRTR your avatar is putting me off my toast!

I think its a great idea, the candidate should have the HPC.co.uk logo and everything. Choose the right constituency and you might be on to a winner!

TTRTR your avatar is putting me off my toast!

I think its a great idea, the candidate should have the HPC.co.uk logo and everything. Choose the right constituency and you might be on to a winner!

Which idea is a good one? Inflate the economy, or destroy the value of the assets?

I for one would support inflating the economy, even if it were in the name of HPC.

Which idea is a good one? Inflate the economy, or destroy the value of the assets?

I for one would support inflating the economy, even if it were in the name of HPC.

the idea of putting a candidate up for election....

did you have your avatar photo taken recently?

I think a London Borough would be the obvious choice of location as it would be near to the widest range of media, including national media organisations.

TTRTR .... nothing to stop you putting forward an 'Increase the Rents' candidate.

Presumably you haven't worked out that inflation does destroy the value of assets. ;)

The election/results day could be a good excuse for as many of us as possible to travel down to London to support the HPC cadidate, but also (and perhaps mainly) to have a social gathering (drinks, partying, etc.) and have some fun together.

:D

I think a London Borough would be the obvious choice of location as it would be near to the widest range of media, including national media organisations.

TTRTR .... nothing to stop you putting forward an 'Increase the Rents' candidate.

Well that's what would obviously happen, but no need to go public about it.....

Its free to stand in local elections - no cost but if you want leaflets you need to have money for that.

You'd need to register a party name else you'd have to be independents. Its a couple of hundred quid to do this though I think.

Easy peasy - you need 10 sigs from your ward to sign a form saying they nominate and support you.

How many of us could do that?

:)

Its free to stand in local elections - no cost but if you want leaflets you need to have money for that.

You'd need to register a party name else you'd have to be independents. Its a couple of hundred quid to do this though I think.

Easy peasy - you need 10 sigs from your ward to sign a form saying they nominate and support you.

How many of us could do that?

Thanks SarahBell ... looks like it would be easier to do than I was anticipating. We would, of course, need someone to step forward and volunteer as a candidate(s). Funding leaflets wouldn't be particularly expensive, I'm sure enough people would be willing to contribute a few quid for this. I'd be willing to come down to London for a couple weekends to do some leafleting ..... although I think the main aim of the exercise would really be to get interviews with the media.

What about the idea of using the event as an excuse to have one of HPC's occasional social gatherings? I think it could all be quite good fun as well as being a good opportunity to grab some publicity.

You have to keep record of what you spend and there are some rules about putting publishers address on - but the bit of the council that deals with it are usually really helpful.

AND of course you get to go to the count.

Edited by SarahBell

I'm seriously considering contesting the local elections as an independent with house prices one of my main campaign issues. Local government should have the right to levy land value tax on investment property. This can be used to reduce council taxes and reliance on central government funds for local government and therefore reduce income tax as well.

Approx 75% of local government funds come from central government. The remaining 25% comes from council taxes and motorists.

To be honest a concentrated effort in one council area with people form london all helping to knock doors and issue leaflets, i reckon there would be a fair good chance of getting voted in.

Many councillers now hardly canvass as they assume that just being labour or conservative makes people vote for them, but if some people were actively knocking doors i think they would find a huge support, after all many people now cant afford a house, and many have children that cant afford one either.

I think even people that have gained out of housing are becoming sick at the crazy prices

I'm seriously considering contesting the local elections as an independent with house prices one of my main campaign issues. Local government should have the right to levy land value tax on investment property. This can be used to reduce council taxes and reliance on central government funds for local government and therefore reduce income tax as well.

Approx 75% of local government funds come from central government. The remaining 25% comes from council taxes and motorists.

this is the scary thing

there are around 100 terraced houses in my street, each paying about 1000 pounds council tax a year

times this by 4 for government top up

and my little street alone contributes 400k a year to the council, this is utter crazy, what they doing with it all

and my little street alone contributes 400k a year to the council, this is utter crazy, what they doing with it all

Printing leaflets in all sorts of weird languages. For the past 5 years I have repeatedly asked my council how much they spend on translating and printing leaflets in languages other than English. They refuse to disclose this figure. I am trying to use the Freedom of Information Act to find out.

Another campaign issue is to have English as the only official language of communication in my council. The production of foreign language leaflets will cease.

The election/results day could be a good excuse for as many of us as possible to travel down to London to support the HPC cadidate, but also (and perhaps mainly) to have a social gathering (drinks, partying, etc.) and have some fun together.

We can all meet up at our new address Tent City (see Lets Build Us A Tent City thread)

I'm up for standing at the next general!!!...I have an idea of how to win too!!!

some opportune events(hpc) and a bit of good timing would be all that is required.

..I still think people mistrust the tories,labour are sleazy and the libdems are in total disarray,so any well-placed alternative would seem like a good option to take.

people are p1ssed off with mainstream,they just have't got round to dealing with it yet.

There is this way to become an MP,

"Potential MPs need to be nominated for election by a proposer and a seconder, both of whom must be registered voters in the relevant constituency. The nomination must also be signed by eight other electors and submitted along with a fee (known as a deposit) of £500 which is returned to candidates who get more than 5% of the votes cast"

or this way,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/quiz/questions/0...,272078,00.html

Best seat to contest would IMHo be one that is predicted to be hung or close rather than going up against a high profile candidate such as Blair or Brown, they get loads of loonies standing against them but these people get no airtime. If you could be the cause of a minor upset in voting by even attracting 50 or 100 votes you would get airtime.

Really though, unless there is a strong local issue people are just too lazy to vote beyond Labour or Conservative (or for the few quirky consituencies, Liberal).

There is this way to become an MP,

"Potential MPs need to be nominated for election by a proposer and a seconder, both of whom must be registered voters in the relevant constituency. The nomination must also be signed by eight other electors and submitted along with a fee (known as a deposit) of £500 which is returned to candidates who get more than 5% of the votes cast"

or this way,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/quiz/questions/0...,272078,00.html

Best seat to contest would IMHo be one that is predicted to be hung or close rather than going up against a high profile candidate such as Blair or Brown, they get loads of loonies standing against them but these people get no airtime. If you could be the cause of a minor upset in voting by even attracting 50 or 100 votes you would get airtime.

Really though, unless there is a strong local issue people are just too lazy to vote beyond Labour or Conservative (or for the few quirky consituencies, Liberal).

dunno,that guy whose son was killed in iraq did pretty well against TB last time,if we could persuade a few more like him to stand next time they would get a kicking!!!

If this idea was followed up and put into action I think it would be important to try to remain as 'apolitical' as possible. There should just be a very simple focus on the HPC (or whatever the 'party' would be named - perhaps the 'Lower House Prices' Party) candidate putting forward:

- Concerns about the amount of spin put out about the housing market (to pursuade everyone that high/rising house prices are a good thing and that house prices only ever go up, and never fall) by Vested Interests such as Estate Agents, Mortgage Lenders, TV Property Programmes, etc.

- Concerns about irresponsible mortgage lending.

- The disadvantages and damage that high/rising house prices create.

- The advantages that falling house prices would create and the need to return to sensible income/house price ratios.

- The plight of First Time Buyers.

As soon as you start injecting 'party politics' into the discussion you will immediately alienate over half the electorate. I think the performances of Bubble Pricker and Financial Planner on TV and radio have been exeplary.

Whilst there might be concern that our candidate would not attract the attention of current home owners I think there would be means and ways of attracting their interest. The obvious one is that falling house prices will make it cheaper for current home owners to move to a better/bigger property and/or move to a more desirable and pleasant area to live in. Also, I think if we use the issue of pensions and quality of life post retirement we could win over a reasonable number of current homeowners. With rising house prices, if you move up the property ladder, you have to pay out more to do so and so have less earnings to put into your pension savings. Also, with falling house prices parents are less likely to have to MEW and use other savings in order to fund mortgage deposits for their children. Falling house prices will mean children can save their own deposits and parents can put more of their own money into their pensions and savings.

Whilst leafleting would need to be done I don't think that this would really be a central/major activity as far as this exercise would go.

The purpose of putting up an HPC Candidate in a local election would be to ensure that they would appear on the ballot paper (thus every voter would see that an HPC candidate existed). The main effort would be to ensure that the media picked up on this as a story which would hopefully lead to interviews for newspapers, TV and radio thus creating a major amount of publicity for the HPC website and our arguments about the UK housing market.

To have the maximum impact I think it would be necessary to keep it very focused and simple.

If we do put an HPC candidate forward for the local elections on 4th May 2006 we would need some leaflets. What follows are a couple of ideas for leaflets that I've suggested before on a previous theread:

I think for Joe and Jane public the penny often drops when a complex situation (such as the housing market which involves difficult concepts like interest rates, seasonally adjusted figures, etc. etc.) is presented to them in a visual form. For this reason I would suggest creating a leaflet with 2 photographs. The first photograph would be of a typical property that could have been bought for 3.5 times the average working adult income in the year 2000. The second photo would be of a typical property that could be bought for 3.5 times the average working adult income in January/February 2006. Underneath the two photos would be the statement/question - Now tell me what's so good about rising house prices?

I think also a graphical representation (possibly bar charts) of rising house prices from 2000 - 2006 along with the increasing amount of earnings that an average earner would have to pay each month for their mortgage (depending on when they purchased their house) along with a bar chart showing the decreasing amount of earnings they would have available to put into their pension, paying bills, spending on improving their day to day quality of life. In addition it might be useful to have a bar chart showing the increasing amount house buyers have been putting into the pockets of Estate Agents, solicitors, surveyors, etc. as house prices have risen. Again, this might be followed by the statement/question - Now tell me what's so good about rising house prices?

The overall effect would be to show how your money buys less and less as house prices rise, that you have less money for your current and future quality of life and that the mortgage lenders, Estate Agents, etc. have got richer and richer as we have become poorer and poorer.

It might also be useful to have visual representations that show the positive effect of falling house prices.

Can the url of the web site be used as the party name?

Then 'www.housepricecrash.co.uk' will be printed on the ballot paper and if the results were broadcast it usually goes like this

(names made up)

Returning Officer: Tony Bliar

BBC: Labour

RO: One hundred

RO: Will Happen

BBC. www dot house price crash dot co dot uk

RO: Fifty Thousand One Hundred and Eighty