House Price Crash Forum
rollover

Why people in Senegal pay a fortune for fancy sheep

IF I HAD $100,000, I’d spend it all on sheep,” says Abib Seck, a sheep-dealer. Not only are they delicious, they can also be status symbols. Poorer families often take out crippling loans to buy one so they don’t lose social standing.

The latest craze is for a particularly fancy breed. Ladoum sheep are huge and majestic—rams can weigh as much as three grown men. They are too valuable to be sacrificed to any god. Instead, dealers sell them to rich folk—businessmen, religious leaders and government ministers—who keep them as pets.

Prices for Ladoum sheep have rocketed. New breeders are flocking to the trade. Mr Seck bought his first three sheep in 2016 for a total of $8,500 and bred them. Just one of their offspring, a huge ram called Cronus, is now worth around $70,000, he estimates. In a country where GDP per head is $1,000, some think such prices are shear madness. But Ladoum-lovers insist they are worth it. “The breed has a lot of charisma.” He now has over 40 in his home. He frequently sells Ladoum lambs for $2,500-5,000.

economist

Guys forget UK houses, I'm off to Senegal to do business with Ladoum sheep.

It looks like great investment, what could possibly go wrong?

3 hours ago, Burbujista said:

At least you are not forced to buy/rent a fancy sheep to have a decent living.

You must have missed this

families often take out crippling loans to buy one so they don’t lose social standing

3 hours ago, Burbujista said:

Having social standing and a decent living are not the same thing!

For you.

If having many descendants is a priority for you, then your social standing could be part of your standard of living.

4 hours ago, Locke said:

For you.

If having many descendants is a priority for you, then your social standing could be part of your standard of living.

Can you tell me the link between having social standing based on showing off and having many descendants?

12 hours ago, rollover said:

Australian sheep are different.

The senegalese fancy Ladoum sheep are worth fortune.

All sheep follow each other......;)

On 11/06/2019 at 07:35, Burbujista said:

At least you are not forced to buy/rent a fancy sheep to have a decent living.

+1

19 hours ago, Locke said:

For you.

You could always marry clever women who prefer men who don't waste their money on status symbols - they do exist.

16 hours ago, Burbujista said:

Can you tell me the link between having social standing based on showing off and having many descendants?

You're making an assumption that what applies to one culture must apply to another. Arranged marriages will be based on status, and having "many descendants" is a simplification - "many descendants who survive and prosper" would be more accurate. If another culture shows what you consider incomprehensible behaviour, then you've probably assumed that your particular cultural bias that it contradicts is universal.

On 6/10/2019 at 10:21 PM, rollover said:

In a country where GDP per head is $1,000, some think such prices are shear madness.

I see what you did there. 

On 11/06/2019 at 19:07, Burbujista said:

Why do women wear make up?

Why do balding men lose your isht so much over it.

It's sex all the way down.