House Price Crash Forum
highcontrast

Landlords urged to keep tabs on tenants to help stop spread of 'cannabis factories'

P.S. lets not forget these "farmers" will be siphoning electricity from a neighbour too. Plus the scumbag landlord can deny all knowledge that they knew it was going on. Nice little arrangement for LL if they are in on it.

Plus lets not forget the clientele it brings to the neighbourhood.

But yeah...another great "benefit" in the growth in BTL! ;o/. Actually there must be a correlation in the growth of cannabis production and the growth of BTL?

3 minutes ago, highcontrast said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/landlords-urged-keep-tabs-tenants-2931980

Something that I think may be absolutely rife all over the country. Is it likely lots of BTL scumlords are actually well aware this is happening on their properties and are taking a nice extra backhander?

Unlikely as the growers will usually completely wreck the interior of the house, tearing down partition walls and the like.

I'm 80 and me and most of my friends are public school educated. 

Everyone I know has smoked cannabis at some point (me included), and I still know of some VERY high profile toffs who simply adore it. 

Honestly never thought I'd die before it was legalised. Suspect I will. It's absolute madness we consider encouraging rampant criminality to be a better solution to state regulation and taxation.

If you've never had it before treat it like a spirit -don't go bloody silly on the stuff to start with. But if you ever find yourself in America or elsewhere where it's now legal then honestly, go for it. 

So much nicer than booze. 

Edited by byron78

The growth of cannabis use (which I believe produces strains that are highly cultivated and hence much stronger than during the flower power era) must surely be symptomatic of the widespread unease in society in general. If people are using this drug a lot more, perhaps it's the only (and least damaging) relief available for living like caged animals in magnolia-painted BTL flats. The irony of BTL flats being used as farms is probably lost on officialdom who just see BTL as another source of tax revenue to prop up the already bankrupted and inefficient system.

3 hours ago, byron78 said:

So much nicer than booze. 

Debatable, since I can stand next to someone drinking and not have any impact, whereas standing next to someone smoking cannabis will impact my personal space/lungs etc. Now vaping I can get behind. 

I have a colleague who has 3-4 BTLs once he went to chase the rent at one house and found out his tenant was in prison for growing cannabis.

Edited by iamnumerate

2 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Debatable, since I can stand next to someone drinking and not have any impact, whereas standing next to someone smoking cannabis will impact my personal space/lungs etc. Now vaping I can get behind. 

I was going to say. Just don't smoke it then. 

My young friend (in his 70s!) has a vape for his cannabis. You just put the stuff in the bottom and it bakes and vapes. 

He lives in America and capitalism has transformed it into a multi multi billion dollar business inside a few years. 

The biggest users are usually 60+ or those with ailments. I guess because the US healthcare system is so expensive. Or perhaps they're all aging hippies coming out the wood(stock) work!