Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
dougless

The BBC has the answer

Recommended Posts

Yep.

Go an live in Norfolk, where theres no jobs that pay about 15k.

A wise choice for the young soak.

Give a few months and she'll be brewing her own gut rot.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah yes.

The reworking of FILTH - Failed In London Try Hongkong -

Failed In London Try Home (deposit from Mamndad equity release).

I remember meeting up with an old Uni flatmate who was existed about joining the HK Police. This was a year after Uni - 92/93.

I asked him if he knew what happened in 97. He didnt. What a waste of 3 years and a Sociology degree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spyguy said:

Yep.

Go an live in Norfolk, where theres no jobs that pay about 15k.

A wise choice for the young soak.

Give a few months and she'll be brewing her own gut rot.

 

 

There are jobs over that now as the min wage is £8 but in my part of Norfolk there is a shortage of manual jobs like hotel workers, kitchen staff where you can get 9 - 13 ph x 40 = 18 - 30,000 and more if you graft longer hours as the tourism is doing well up here with the weak £.

But people do not want to do those jobs.

In the 90's when i started as a washer upper first job all my school mates worked in the cinema, pubs, cleaners etc etc

My team leader kitchen porter worked like a trojan and had his own house (20-30K)

Imagine that today as the same house is 120-140k now.

So now its viewed as a less job than before many of the younger customers seem a bit ruder ironically not unlike North Africa when I was there.

You cannot afford a house either way so better to sit at home and pretend your something.

Ironically  this has created one of the only "bargain" areas of the economy where if your a good chef or general manager a few years and you are much more likely to be able to buy a pub/restaurant then a house if you want to take the risk.

That does not work in London though, I got the details of a lovely pub in the west end the other day and i thought wow how nice....but you only got the bottom floor.  Imagine pub hours and having to commute as the business itself would pay out enough to rent a flat miles away.

 

Edited by Fromage Frais

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fromage Frais said:

There are jobs over that now as the min wage is £8 but in my part of Norfolk there is a shortage of manual jobs like hotel workers, kitchen staff where you can get 9 - 13 ph x 40 = 18 - 30,000 and more if you graft longer hours as the tourism is doing well up here with the weak £.

But people do not want to do those jobs.

In the 90's when i started as a washer upper first job all my school mates worked in the cinema, pubs, cleaners etc etc

My team leader kitchen porter worked like a trojan and had his own house (20-30K)

Imagine that today as the same house is 120-140k now.

So now its viewed as a less job than before many of the younger customers seem a bit ruder ironically not unlike North Africa when I was there.

You cannot afford a house either way so better to sit at home and pretend your something.

Ironically  this has created one of the only "bargain" areas of the economy where if your a good chef or general manager a few years and you are much more likely to be able to buy a pub/restaurant then a house if you want to take the risk.

That does not work in London though, I got the details of a lovely pub in the west end the other day and i thought wow how nice....but you only got the bottom floor.  Imagine pub hours and having to commute as the business itself would pay out enough to rent a flat miles away.

 

Nope.

People cannot afford to do those jobs as tge cost of housing is too high, relative to wages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, spyguy said:

Go an live in Norfolk, where theres no jobs that pay about 15k.

I'm on a little bit more than that! :P

Hardly rocket science is it? Spend less on booze and other fun stuff = save more cash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, thewig said:

disgusting beeb, do not consume 

I see your stance on our beloved State Controlled Television is softening somewhat... now only disgusting rather than vile!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ucnvpe0 said:

Norfolk has poor transport, low wages and a highly overpriced housing market. It makes me wonder how the region hasn't seen heavy falls.

There are many nice places to live in the UK exactly the same as that......poor transport is widespread, house prices high and wages only seem low because property is so expensive and transport is so expensive and bad.....some places you can't even get a reliable mobile phone connection.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ucnvpe0 said:

Norfolk has poor transport, low wages and a highly overpriced housing market. It makes me wonder how the region hasn't seen heavy falls.

That's the rut I find myself while I save up for a huge deposit. My anecdotal observations is that Norfolk is a popular place for senior citizens. It might explain why house prices are so out of whack with earnings.

£150k-£200k for a 2 bedroomed townhouse - around 6 to 8 times the average salary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ucnvpe0 said:

Norfolk has poor transport, low wages and a highly overpriced housing market. It makes me wonder how the region hasn't seen heavy falls.

Railway lines straight into Liverpool Street for London financial workers. Or is the square mile not where it's at anymore?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Railway lines straight into Liverpool Street for London financial workers. Or is the square mile not where it's at anymore?

A bit of a trek though, Norwich to London is the same distance as Birmingham to London and takes 2 hours on the train (plus time at either end, plus regular meltdowns on the network). No doubt there are some mental supercommuters destroying their health doing it every day, but why? Norwich rents seem to be about the same as Welwyn Garden City (£800-1k pcm for 2 bedrooms).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting from home to Norwich station alongside can be tricky. I wonder how much it costs for station parking alongside with a season ticket? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ucnvpe0 said:

Getting from a home in Norfolk to Norwich station can be tricky. I wonder how much it costs for (station) parking alongside a season ticket? 

Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dorkins said:

A bit of a trek though, Norwich to London is the same distance as Birmingham to London and takes 2 hours on the train (plus time at either end, plus regular meltdowns on the network). No doubt there are some mental supercommuters destroying their health doing it every day, but why? Norwich rents seem to be about the same as Welwyn Garden City (£800-1k pcm for 2 bedrooms).

Indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dorkins said:

A bit of a trek though, Norwich to London is the same distance as Birmingham to London and takes 2 hours on the train (plus time at either end, plus regular meltdowns on the network). No doubt there are some mental supercommuters destroying their health doing it every day, but why? Norwich rents seem to be about the same as Welwyn Garden City (£800-1k pcm for 2 bedrooms).

Until just over a year ago I used to be a regular on that line and walk 20 mins to work from Liverpool Street. Admittedly I was based south of Norwich, but the round trip was 5 hours a day. Rents were around £700 pcm for a 2 bed in a nice area. Parking was about £7.50 a day at the station, but I used one close by for £5. Total cost for travel and parking was in the region of £8,000 per annum.

How was it? Not as bad as it sounds. I did loads of work on the train and gained rapid promotion as a result. I was also almost always last off the train, letting the others rush through the crowded gates, concourse and main exit, whilst I strolled to an almost unused staircase nearby. Small things perhaps, but important wins for keeping ones sanity.

How often did it go wrong? I had filling out the reclaim webpage to a fine art, often reducing my monthly costs by 10-15%. 

How often did it go badly wrong? Not that often to be truthful, but when it did, you were better off just getting a cheap hotel and staying overnight, I always carried a wash-bag and treated the stay-over as recognised cost.

Would I want to still be doing it? No chance. Now my travel costs are largely covered by work and my commute is a 20 to 25 minute drive.

Was it worth it? Yes, excluding the huge drop in my expenses my pay has risen in the region of 30% with plenty of room for improvement. I simply wouldn't have got the promotion I was chasing in my field or the ability to live in the county I now do.

Would I recommend it? Depends what the goal is. I always had a plan to be out of the London based rat race in under five years, did it in just over three. It was the knowledge that I wasn't going to be one of the London commuter zombies forever, that unlike them I had an exit strategy, that kept me going.

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Indeed.

I have to chip in here because I can just about recall "The Broadsman" which was 117 minutes from Liverpool Street to Norwich by shovelling coal.

When I lived in Chichester at the end of he 90s the local rag found out that the fastest train to London had been a lot faster in 1927. (-70 years) They published alongside a picture of the crew on an antiquated loco and one of them was wearing what seemed to be a suit! For me the trip to Crawley was dep 07.00 arr. 0845 outward and dep 17.00 arr. 18.53 return. That's door to door if it all went ok which usually it did (about 15 minutes non rail at each end) but it's barely 40 miles. After three and a half years I got fed up and bought two Montegos for £185 and made them into one runner.

It's only viable being a long distance commuter if you're on good money in which case you may as well spend more on living nearer work.  As Dorkins says.

In the 1960s the Americans put rats on the Long Island line into NY, in cages presumably, to see how they stood up to commuting. They had all died within a few months (think it was 6). Not sure what that proves but it don't provide much encouragement.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, highcontrast said:

Gig economy: 'It was the only way we could afford a house'

The vile BBC at it again - it's not high house prices that's the problem, it's because apparently all priced out home buyers should be working for Deilveroo! Astonishing propaganda piece yet again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48789236

Agree completely.

No trolling here but as I read these numerous ‘news articles’ the worry is whether governments will do anything...correction to self, will they stop interfering and pushing up house prices? 

It’s insane. Short term I definitely wouldn’t buy because it feels far too frothy and has for a while....but how long do people wait?

It all feels very wrong and needs sorting so a younger generation can take a half decent job and buy a house.

Indeed controversially I would go further...mass movement to university attendance, to earn big salaries and desire to be in ‘professions’ may well be a a side effect of the difficulties the young face. University in theory offers a way to improve but it’s finance driven and that is not the prime reason humans should be studying at Uni.   

It may well suit the government to have a drone ‘grey ‘generation of PAYE tax payers in office jobs. 

Be nice if people could follow their dreams and ALSO buy a home. The 1980’s (when I bought) that was already slipping away...houses affordable ish but a desire to ‘earn’ was being born. 

We need people with a desire to create, imagine, help, support and do good. But if you price them out of a life for doing so, then many will just try get the finance/marketing role and earn £45k so they can try gain happiness outside work.

Off thread I guess...but the BBC and many news reports are a million miles away from discussing the root cause. They just say build more houses. Laughable and lazy shallow reporting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 309 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.