House Price Crash Forum

Desperate House Buyers Queuing Overnight

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

The mortgage is cheap because its a 35 year mortgage with 20% of the purchase price almost interest free for 5 years.

I'm really not sure about the sales technique though - surely they should just be saying this plot is sold (that's how things used to work).

Edited by Houdini

HOLA444
HOLA445

The cars half parked on the kerb are really selling it to me. :lol:

OK, so the houses will likely have off road parking but it doesn't look like visitor/deliveries parking has been given much consideration. 

Will the garages be big enough to a commode a fair sized 4x4? 

HOLA446

Some former MOD houses in my county of Norfolk were sold off at just below  market value (open to interpretation of course!) and there were people camping out to bag one of those. I think they were sold by Annington homes. This was back in the mid 2000s.

HOLA447
22 minutes ago, MattW said:

Some former MOD houses in my county of Norfolk were sold off at just below  market value (open to interpretation of course!) and there were people camping out to bag one of those. I think they were sold by Annington homes. This was back in the mid 2000s.

That happened to some houses near to me, and I knew someone who had been renting one before they were sold off - the MOD build quality was as bad as some modern houses - if you opened the cupboard below the sink you could see the bricks of the outside wall and there was a hole large enough you could stick a finger through to the outside.

To say it was a cold house would be an understatement - the family have since moved to Australia, a choice which I suspect was not unrelated to living in that house.

I can only assume they had some kind of waiver to skirt the normal building regulations, definitely a buyer beware situation.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
2 hours ago, MattW said:

There was a guardian article about these, They sold a load off but I believe they have moved to renting them out.   

There was also a story about how they would lift the roof up using scaffold, Rebuild the walls/interior as a whole new house to avoid having to provide affordable housing, S106/CIL monies etc, Of course these days they would flatten it and build completely new to get HTB.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/apr/25/mod-privatise-military-housing-disaster-guy-hands

HOLA4411
6 minutes ago, Council estate capitalist said:

There was a guardian article about these, They sold a load off but I believe they have moved to renting them out.   

There was also a story about how they would lift the roof up using scaffold, Rebuild the walls/interior as a whole new house to avoid having to provide affordable housing, S106/CIL monies etc, Of course these days they would flatten it and build completely new to get HTB.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/apr/25/mod-privatise-military-housing-disaster-guy-hands

And the left, the brainwashed youth, the remainers want more government.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
7 hours ago, MattW said:

The cars half parked on the kerb are really selling it to me. :lol:

OK, so the houses will likely have off road parking but it doesn't look like visitor/deliveries parking has been given much consideration. 

Will the garages be big enough to a commode a fair sized 4x4? 

Wow just maybe the cars are parked in a queue towards the show room. Now imagine that. 

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
20 hours ago, Captain Kirk said:

It's all FOMO in Rochdale

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7090065/Desperate-house-buyers-sleep-overnight-cars-10-nights-queue.html

I don't know if those are bargains for up North.

That reminds me of the time when the Spanish bubble started popping. They couldn’t sell a single flat at usual prices, so they started doing “marketing” and this kind of “gestures” to offload future stock. Queues were key to show the “miracle”. The people who bought these flats lost a lot of money, mainly because 80% weren’t even built (and they couldn’t recover their deposit) and the rest are now valued less than the “reduced” 2008 price. 

I actually found a video in English about it!

Edited by Burbujista

HOLA4418
16 hours ago, Council estate capitalist said:

and its still happening in 2019

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jun/01/railway-arch-shops-uk-face-eviction-rent-increases-network-rail

HOLA4419
1 hour ago, Burbujista said:

That reminds me of the time when the Spanish bubble started popping. They couldn’t sell a single flat at usual prices, so they started doing “marketing” and this kind of “gestures” to offload future stock. Queues were key to show the “miracle”. The people who bought these flats lost a lot of money, mainly because 80% weren’t even built (and they couldn’t recover their deposit) and the rest are now valued less than the “reduced” 2008 price.

I can't find the article at the moment, but I remember developers were employing actors to form queues at one point in the UK. It is sad that people fall for it.

Edited by Captain Kirk

HOLA4420

BIL lives in Spain - one of the more productive/employing areas too (greater Barca).

Flats of the 200-2007 vintage are selling at about 60% off.

And everyone unemployed - or were, most have exhausted the time limited welfare (2 years), which is why the UK is full of Spanish i ntheir 20s/30s/with young families, which was unheard of until ~10 years ago.

See tax credit sad face/brexit - why it happened thread.

The problem is further compounded by Eas tern Eruope being EUs cheap labour hot spot, so all the news jobs and the existing ones are moving there.

Nose rubbed further in sh1t as northern euros (dutch n germans) are buyingup flats  to lease on AirBnb.

SO you get some 30-40yo Catalan, married, 2 kids, living in a flat they cannot nmove from, with the next door flat owned by Hans/Peter, who are letting it out on AirBnbto 20 odd Americans / Oz students.

EU is not popular in most of Spain for some reason.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424