House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

frankief

GDPR - personal data and interviews

I recently applied for a job with a large well known company who have offices local to me and I put my CV on their jobsite with my own password access etc.

Got an interview request and was asked to bring passport as proof of right to work in the UK.

At interview was also asked for proof of address and handed over my driving licence.

Not used to this, but thought not a  problem, I did the interview and didn't hear anything for weeks.

I checked on the jobsite and there is an email for me there - standard rejection letter.

I didn't really want the job but am just a bit miffed that my CV/Licence/ Passport is still sitting on their computers/ in a filing cabinet etc. although my application has been discarded.

Anybody knows what the process is these days with GDPR? Is asking for erasure of data the responsibility of the applicant?

I stress that this is a totally legit/ respected company and I would expect that their personnel dept  are doing things by the book.

13 hours ago, frankief said:

I stress that this is a totally legit/ respected company and I would expect that their personnel dept  are doing things by the book.

I wouldn't expect that. HR departments are filled with the most lazy incompetent rude stupid and ugly specimens ever to have walked the planet.

Ask them to erase it. Its the right to be forgotten.

I cannot see any legitimate reason for them to keep it, you are not a customer.

Yes, I will.

Although the Human Resources site is of course not human and seems to communicate only one way using standard worded emails with no contact name.

I can delete my account along with the CV easily enough, which would still leave the passport/ licence details somewhere in the local office - i'll have to email the head of the dept although he didn't turn up for the interview which was done by his underlings. No HR representative present.

From memory, at my last job (much smaller company) which started two years ago, the HR manager had a brief meeting with me on my second day. She just glanced at my passport for ID and took a copy of my driving licence as I would occasionally need to drive company vehicles.

That seems OK, it was when I had accepted and started the job not at interview. The company I am talking about now must have hundreds of scans/ copies of info from people who just came for an interview and were never seen again - at this local office alone.

Thats really a red flag that the HR dept are incompetent and doing things in the wrong order.

Either that or a rogue employee is harvesting details for some other purpose.

7 hours ago, Habeas Domus said:

Thats really a red flag that the HR dept are incompetent and doing things in the wrong order.

Either that or a rogue employee is harvesting details for some other purpose.

i have come across large companies doing this before an interview is granted...its just the bozos claiming they are getting things in place....so multiple checks on multiple people instead of one at the end of the line......a very well known brand asked for passport....etc before even an interview.....on multiple people they decide they wont even see...i refused...i don;t tar all HR types as I know some who are good guys and gals but i'd say they are the minority...80/20 rule....so 80% of them are utter self satisfied twerps.....

I get them testing my language abilities...multiple steps down the line or not at all....no logic with companies.......have been turned down after attending interview and passing language test on the basis I'm not a native speaker ffs....

In the Uk if i walked around today refusing to speak to anyone who didnt speak native english....i'd look like  a right charlie.....

I've seen some bad hires where skills were incredibly not checked...all down to either HR or the line manager...

I sent a copy of my bank statement and driver licence to a private company to confirm my ID. Once checked they destroyed the documents, I didn’t need to ask. I suspect the place in question on this thread will be in some kind of violation with data protection so I’d look into that and include their violation in your request.