House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iLegallyBlonde

I Think I'm Going To Be The First Hpc Murder

BLOODY Mother In LAw has been in hubby's ear about how he really needs to stop all this nonsense and settle down with a lovely semi detached.

Of course I'm to blame for all this, idea's above my station wanting a 4 bedroomed detached to do some cat swinging in (I don't actually, really swing our cat).

:angry:

Hubs has been presented with a set of details, he wants to view

Better to get it over and done with now then, rather than wait until finances are the cause of murder.

Seriously, I sympathise with the situation. Fortunately my current circumstances mean that nobody (that matters to me) is pressurising me to buy. They know I'm pretty headstrong anyway and that I have full confidence in my decisions.

NDL

BLOODY Mother In LAw has been in hubby's ear about how he really needs to stop all this nonsense and settle down with a lovely semi detached.

Of course I'm to blame for all this, idea's above my station wanting a 4 bedroomed detached to do some cat swinging in (I don't actually, really swing our cat).

First: Best not to kill the MIL.

Go and see the house. My 12 killer reasons not to consider a particular property:

The house must be south facing backyard, otherwise it never gets the sun - this means that 3/4 of all houses can be rejected instantly.

ANY rising damp (actually it only cost a couple of thousand to fix, but it seems a lot scarier than it is)

ANY cracks in the wall (that IS scary)

ANY renovations that will cost to put right (could you possibly live with that pine clad ceiling?)

ANY arching of the roof (view the roof from the outside and if the top liine doesn't look dead straight don't go there)

ANY roofing work at all - it costs a bomb due to the need for scaffolding (you can do a visual scan of the roofing state before you even think about putting in an offer - if it looks like a broken tile then it probably is) also check all ceiling thouroughly for any signs of water ingress (if its a big damp patch on the ceiling it is either the pressure tank or the roof)

ANY main roads

ANY messy houses neighbouring (they decrease the value of the neighbourhood and you can't fix them - they also suggest it may be an area of antisocial behaviour)

ANY house where the road is parked out for 200 metres (since you will never be able to watch the car)

ANY teenagers in the vicinity (they can't be fixed and they probably aren't a problem but they can be used to save yourself!)

ANY neighbourhood with a reputation for vandalism within 3 streets

ANY goals, smelting factories, rubbish disposal facilities, supermarkets in the vicinity

When you look for a house you should be viewing without even considering buying for at least six months. That way you have done the research to make a considered decision about what may be the biggest investment of your life. Anything else is financial suicide. You should be at the point where you can't 'love' any house before you settle on your own. That way you will be able to walk away - so you have the upper hand in the negotiation.

Very tiring and bearing in mind the points above, see how long till Hubs gets exhausted!

He needs to grow some balls. :lol::lol::lol::blink:

Guest Bart of Darkness

Ask the mother in law to pay a 20% (non-refundable) deposit. Get her to put her money where her nagging mouth is.

ANY teenagers in the vicinity (they can't be fixed)

Two years national service would do the trick. ;)

That's the trouble with most murder victims, they could change the circumstances leading to their own murder, but they fail to in time.

Actually I think you should kill her.

My mam is at it at the moment but I shut her up by saying 'can you afford to buy your house at todays price?' That allways shuts them up.

Oddly, it turns out that swinging a big tubby cat actually requires less space than a small skinny one – minimally when cat and owner weigh the same. So perhaps try to convince him that stocking up on mega-size packs of Whiskers would be more sensible, but probably best to reassure him that you aren’t aiming for this … :D

snowbie_worlds_longest_cat.jpg

Tangoing with a tubby tabby!

First: Best not to kill the MIL.

Go and see the house. My 12 killer reasons not to consider a particular property:

The house must be south facing backyard, otherwise it never gets the sun - this means that 3/4 of all houses can be rejected instantly.

ANY rising damp (actually it only cost a couple of thousand to fix, but it seems a lot scarier than it is)

ANY cracks in the wall (that IS scary)

ANY renovations that will cost to put right (could you possibly live with that pine clad ceiling?)

ANY arching of the roof (view the roof from the outside and if the top liine doesn't look dead straight don't go there)

ANY roofing work at all - it costs a bomb due to the need for scaffolding (you can do a visual scan of the roofing state before you even think about putting in an offer - if it looks like a broken tile then it probably is) also check all ceiling thouroughly for any signs of water ingress (if its a big damp patch on the ceiling it is either the pressure tank or the roof)

ANY main roads

ANY messy houses neighbouring (they decrease the value of the neighbourhood and you can't fix them - they also suggest it may be an area of antisocial behaviour)

ANY house where the road is parked out for 200 metres (since you will never be able to watch the car)

ANY teenagers in the vicinity (they can't be fixed and they probably aren't a problem but they can be used to save yourself!)

ANY neighbourhood with a reputation for vandalism within 3 streets

ANY goals, smelting factories, rubbish disposal facilities, supermarkets in the vicinity

When you look for a house you should be viewing without even considering buying for at least six months. That way you have done the research to make a considered decision about what may be the biggest investment of your life. Anything else is financial suicide. You should be at the point where you can't 'love' any house before you settle on your own. That way you will be able to walk away - so you have the upper hand in the negotiation.

Very tiring and bearing in mind the points above, see how long till Hubs gets exhausted!

Cripes! You thinking of a solitary outpost in the Outer Hebrides - or what??? No teens, no supermarkets, west facing garden.....how about sheep? Noisy birds (or are they also something that 'can't be fixed'??? :blink:

Do you have kids? If not, a bit of emotional blackmail usually does the trick. Simply point out to your Mother in Law that if you buy, she has to put up with never having grandkids.

If you already have kids, tell her you'll have to spend their college fund in order to buy a place.

If neither of them seem like goers, tell her that the only places you can afford are a long way away and she'll hardly get to see her son.

Finally, if none of these work out - make her go along to the viewings to see what awful dross is on the market.

;)

Ursa Minor

Time to lay down the law about who is and is not in charge. I have no problems with my parents, likewise my partner's but the bottom line is that they do NOT make ANY decision about ANYTHING we do. No exceptions. Our life, we make the decisions. Their life, they make THEIR decisions, not ours.

Works well and on good terms with all concerned. There's a time for everyone to stop making decisions based on what their parents think. It's called growing up.

Sorry if that sounds very blunt, but in my opinion it's true. It's NONE of their business when / if you buy a house. Time to draw the line. :):)

Time to lay down the law about who is and is not in charge. I have no problems with my parents, likewise my partner's but the bottom line is that they do NOT make ANY decision about ANYTHING we do. No exceptions. Our life, we make the decisions. Their life, they make THEIR decisions, not ours.

Works well and on good terms with all concerned. There's a time for everyone to stop making decisions based on what their parents think. It's called growing up.

Sorry if that sounds very blunt, but in my opinion it's true. It's NONE of their business when / if you buy a house. Time to draw the line. :):)

I have to agree, I've had simular problems with my sister in law. She come up with the great idea that we should buy 2 houses and rent one out (if I can't afford one, how can I afford two?!?!). I solved it buy doing the following;

Reminding her how much debt she's in, how little equity she has in her home compared to how much I make in interest and how little I pay in rent (no she didn't really understand);

How she is stuck living in a very dodgy area (high car and home insurance) and cannot move up the ladder because it's too expensive and no one will buy her house;

Lastly, I gave her a taste of her own medicine (how she should get a different job, not buy 2 pairs of shoes a week and save money). She eventually told me to mind my own business, that's when I told her that's exactly what she has been doing to me and her brother for the last 2 years. Not heard a word about it since.

Parents are a very bad source of advice at the moment.

They own outright their nice family homes that are worth on paper vastly more than they paid for them and think that they have done very well out of it.

The problem is that they expect this experience to be repeated by people who buy today. This is clearly nonsense otherwise in ten years time the average house would cost £720,000 or approximately 24 times average earnings.

Although they mean well they are making the classic mistake of thinking that because there have been big gains in the past there will be big gains in the future.