House Price Crash Forum
highcontrast

Homeowners in England free to build bigger extensions

It's a good thing but of course NIMBYs will oppose it, because they've already got theirs. From the article:

But Martin Tett, planning spokesman for the Local Government Association, which represents UK local councils, said: "The planning process exists for a reason."

He acknowledged the relaxed rules were popular with homeowners, but said it meant councils had little opportunity to consider the impact of extensions on their local area.

"We do not believe this right should be made permanent until an independent review is carried out of its impact, both on neighbouring residents and businesses, and also the capacity of local planning departments," he said.

Sure Martin. People want this, but of course, you probably already live in your nice big house and will be opposing it.

39 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

It's a good thing but of course NIMBYs will oppose it, because they've already got theirs. From the article:

Sure Martin. People want this, but of course, you probably already live in your nice big house and will be opposing it.

"Martin has lived in Little Chalfont with his family for over 30 years.  He is determined to keep Bucks beautiful.  He introduced the 'zero tolerance' policy towards fly-tipping and has led the anti HS2 campaign by councils along the route."

bigpic.jpg

Owns two houses

https://democracy.buckscc.gov.uk/mgDeclarationSubmission.aspx?UID=168&HID=2064&FID=0&HPID=89282435

Edited by Si1

Does that mean the council tax is increased to a higher band......a separate house built in the garden or a new house attached to the old house?;)

27 minutes ago, Si1 said:

"Martin has lived in Little Chalfont with his family for over 30 years.  He is determined to keep Bucks beautiful.  He introduced the 'zero tolerance' policy towards fly-tipping and has led the anti HS2 campaign by councils along the route."

bigpic.jpg

Owns two houses

https://democracy.buckscc.gov.uk/mgDeclarationSubmission.aspx?UID=168&HID=2064&FID=0&HPID=89282435

Yes keep Bucks beautiful especially with the jubillee river scheme to stop the flooding and move the problem downstream aka 2014...as long as Maidenhead and Windsor dont' flood its all good isnt it ?

I was trying to explain Nimby to some Germans a while back.....some things just dont translate very well......nicht in meinem Garten as per Google translate just doesnt work

nicht in meine Umgebung   = not in my environment.....yes ..ish

nicht in meiner nähe = was the best i could do ...not in my area/vicinity

Once we got  that they still were shocked how selfish these blighters are and couldnt really get their heads around it why they would behave like this.....it's much easier for developers in Germany in conjunction with local councils to build new properties.....its mainly based on demand .....i'm not saying   Nimbyism .. doesnt happen but its not common......unlike here where anyone who already has a house seems to object to anything being built near them..it's like a mania

Edited by Spindler

5 hours ago, Si1 said:

bigpic.jpg

Owns two houses

Somebody should ask Martin how many houses would need building in beautiful Bucks if everybody wanted to have two houses like he does.

7 hours ago, highcontrast said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48405569

Thoughts?

What's the governments (no doubt dubious) agenda for doing this you think?

Cynical me says it will reduce the need to build new bigger houses if you can just extend rather than move. But that combined with more housing supply is good for us here at HPC

7 minutes ago, bear.getting.old said:

Cynical me says it will reduce the need to build new bigger houses if you can just extend rather than move. But that combined with more housing supply is good for us here at HPC

I think it's a great idea as well.

English houses are so pokey anyway most of the time, so maybe this will allow some to be made reasonable without the owners having to spend often far in excess of 100k on the difference to a bigger house + stamp duty + moving costs.

3 hours ago, Henrik said:

I think it's a great idea as well.

English houses are so pokey anyway most of the time, so maybe this will allow some to be made reasonable without the owners having to spend often far in excess of 100k on the difference to a bigger house + stamp duty + moving costs.

The first problem with extensions is that they invariably steal the next door neighbours' light, in particular sunlight, making neighbours miserable and angry.

The second problem is that it just means there is more space to heat with environmentally unfriendly gas boilers. Unless the extension actually houses more people, it is an inefficient use of scarce resources (land, light, building materials, heating fuels).

6 hours ago, onlooker said:

The first problem with extensions is that they invariably steal the next door neighbours' light, in particular sunlight, making neighbours miserable and angry.

The second problem is that it just means there is more space to heat with environmentally unfriendly gas boilers. Unless the extension actually houses more people, it is an inefficient use of scarce resources (land, light, building materials, heating fuels).

Err, (land, light, building materials, heating fuels) - are not scarce resources.

7 hours ago, onlooker said:

People think it will enhance the house, add value, but very often it does the opposite.....it removes valuable outside space, it can spoil the flow of the home, can ruin the look of the house......it removes many future potential purchasers who both reject it because of oversize, price and tax......;)

2 hours ago, Si1 said:

Err, (land, light, building materials, heating fuels) - are not scarce resources.

Land and light in built up areas where the extensions will be built, are extremely scarce resources. An extension automatically devalues the house next door with a garden or yard which is now in shadow most of the day.

1 hour ago, winkie said:

People think it will enhance the house, add value, but very often it does the opposite.....it removes valuable outside space, it can spoil the flow of the home, can ruin the look of the house......it removes many future potential purchasers who both reject it because of oversize, price and tax......;)

Some truth in this, but my own observation in my own neighbourhood suggests that owners with some money or access to borrowing, build the biggest extensions they can, or convert lofts, whether they need the extra space or not.

Nearer to London and Slough, given the opportunity, many owners will build over their whole garden in order to house more people. WHat use is a garden when their are bedrooms to fill for profit.

5 minutes ago, onlooker said:

Land and light in built up areas where the extensions will be built, are extremely scarce resources. An extension automatically devalues the house next door with a garden or yard which is now in shadow most of the day.

Hyperbole

1 minute ago, Si1 said:

Hyperbole

Unless you are the person affected by next door's monstrous extension. If your kids cannot play in the sun in the backyard you bought for a fortune.

13 hours ago, Dorkins said:

Somebody should ask Martin how many houses would need building in beautiful Bucks if everybody wanted to have two houses like he does.

I think that is a great question to fire at him in a videoed interview:  I suspect the response would be like this bloke below:

As soon as I saw this i thought that is going to lead to some nasty antics between neighbours.....

I know of a house where the bloke built an extension didn't even render it on the neighbours side let alone paint it.....i suggested getting a mural artist in and painting a mural/cartoon of the bloke on the other side with a scrooge like theme...and then invite the ******** around for a BBQ and see his face.......

The bloke was perfectly ok leaving his neighbours looking at breeze blocks and the irony would have been given permission to do the pointing from the adjoining property.....

Edited by Spindler

20 minutes ago, onlooker said:

Unless you are the person affected by next door's monstrous extension. If your kids cannot play in the sun in the backyard you bought for a fortune.

Did you buy your neighbour's house too?

2 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Did you buy your neighbour's house too?

Don't understand your comment. Of course I didn't buy my neighbour's house. In the UK there is no right to light. It is not an accepted objection that you will no longer be able to enjoy your backyard because it is now in somebody else's shadow.