House Price Crash Forum
crazypabs

Rightmove hpi index

35 minutes ago, thewig said:

Is this a scumbag ea delusion index? 

Yes.

As @crazypabs points out, their attempts to hide the falls in London by focussing their press releases on a bouyant market in Wales is nothing short of hilarious.

But at the end of the day its all asking prices anyway, so all a complete waste of everybodies time :).

Thank God I was able to ignore this website after moving to the West Midlands...almost pulled out of a purchase a year ago due to the understandable negativity. Would have felt like a right rectum now if I had.

Edited by btd1981

3 hours ago, btd1981 said:

Thank God I was able to ignore this website after moving to the West Midlands...almost pulled out of a purchase a year ago due to the understandable negativity. Would have felt like a right rectum now if I had.

What brings you back here?

On 21/05/2019 at 11:21, crazypabs said:

This almost slipped unnoticed this morning...

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/news/house-price-index/

Loads of misdirection towards Wales and Northern increases.

Wales has gone completely mental, price wise - think upsurge in international tourism in the many rural areas mixed with heaven knows what in the urban areas - no doubt the price increases are pushed by migration into Wales primarily from England, too. 

It's a safe place across most of the rural areas - low crime - relatively stable communities - seems a world away from many of the problems I come across elsewhere - that said, there are huge economic problems - levels of poverty are very high, and there is very poor infrastructure. 

Edited by gruffydd

On 21/05/2019 at 18:43, Smiley George said:

Yes.

As @crazypabs points out, their attempts to hide the falls in London by focussing their press releases on a bouyant market in Wales is nothing short of hilarious.

But at the end of the day its all asking prices anyway, so all a complete waste of everybodies time :).

It is very strange what is happening in Wales though - can't fully understand it - international tourism has taken off for the first time (meeting lots of Americans, Irish, Germans - relatively rare even just a few years back) but tourism alone can't explain the situation. 

9 hours ago, gruffydd said:

It is very strange what is happening in Wales though - can't fully understand it - international tourism has taken off for the first time (meeting lots of Americans, Irish, Germans - relatively rare even just a few years back) but tourism alone can't explain the situation. 

Is it not just that there were really cheap before - so even a £10k increase is a sizeable rise? Id bet for years they have been closer to the 4x local salary, and now many of those that are moving home from London etc plus those that are no longer moving out, are pushing up the prices even if just 'slightly'. 

On 21/05/2019 at 23:34, neon tetra said:

What brings you back here?

Is he a trolling troll?

13 hours ago, crow said:

Is it not just that there were really cheap before - so even a £10k increase is a sizeable rise? Id bet for years they have been closer to the 4x local salary, and now many of those that are moving home from London etc plus those that are no longer moving out, are pushing up the prices even if just 'slightly'. 

to give you an idea - it was quite normal to see Victorian houses with a few acres for 250-350,000 maybe 4 years ago - now these same houses are £450,000 plus wherever you are in West Wales - places like Lampeter and Tregaron (middle of nowhere) even - there used to be less expensive areas and now even they are becoming incredibly expensive. 

Where I am the holiday cottages would let out for perhaps £300 a week 6, 7 years ago - now my neighbour rents his incredibly boring 3 bed bungalow for £1000 quid a week in high season. 

Really sick of it - and the political class does nothing - actually, they're the guys investing, no doubt.

Saw this once back in the early 90s - a doubling of prices in a couple of years, but didn't expect this to happen ever again. 

Edited by gruffydd

Having lived in Wales, I can say it is a beautiful country, and in the south the people are nice. But the weather is awful, and if you don’t come from Wales, it can be hard fitting in outside of the urban areas.

On 23/05/2019 at 08:37, Freezer? Best place for it said:

The use of “understandable” suggests not a troll, but someone pleased they have a buffer to erode before negative equity hits.

Not a troll, but someone who frequented this site for years and 'benefiting' from its wisdom. The thing is, everything on here makes good sense, but the cost of housing really seems to defy logic. I  thought we were in instant crash territory at the point we bought last year, but it would appear there's a little way to go yet (at least in the west mids).