House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mikhail Liebenstein

Should the Government Tax businesses that could but don't support home working?

A quick thought, but with transport creaking and environmental concerns, isn’t it time the Government started to penalise firms that don’t support flexible home working?

I’m not suggesting things like schools, factories etc where attendance is needed, but rather roles like software developers, lawyers, some IT staff, some sales roles etc?

All these jobs can be done remotely, and it seems pointless to have many of these people blocking the roads and trains when they don’t need to.

Thoughts?

May be office owners wouldn’t like it, but that’s not a reason not to.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

Are you McLenin?

No they should not.

If UKGOV want to do something then it needs to apply a negative London weighting to itsemployment i.e. charge depts more for having bodies in London.

Back in the late 90s I was working for a telecoms company and we had a teleworking evangelist come in to address us all; I recall the line “If you like crowded railway stations and to sit in long queues on the motorway you’d better make the most of it now as in a few years these places will be empty as 50% of people will be working mainly from home!”, he presented a very convincing argument about working from home and how technology had made it easy… twenty years on and in my sector it is no more common than it was then, in the end, bosses like to see people sitting at their desks..

I think the big changer will be the Play Station generation who are used to collaborating via headsets, once they are the bosses I could imagine home working will be far more common.

There isnt the trust between colleagues, let alone bosses to employees, that they wont be slacking at home. 

80% of my IT work was done remotely so Yes no need to go to a soulless office all day.  And my internet connection is better for ebay surfing. 

How about lowering employer NI contributions for home workers instead? Less tax means less money to waste propping up housing bubbles and to fritter away on all the other bad ideas that make life hard for most folk.

2 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

A quick thought, but with transport creaking and environmental concerns, isn’t it time the Government started to penalise firms that don’t support flexible home working?

I’m not suggesting things like schools, factories etc where attendance is needed, but rather roles like software developers, lawyers, some IT staff, some sales roles etc?

All these jobs can be done remotely, and it seems pointless to have many of these people blocking the roads and trains when they don’t need to.

Thoughts?

No.. Tax should not be used as a nudge...plenty of people already work remotely. High home and lack and high transport costs will see even more do, for a better, more cheaper and cleaner quality of life or else you will not get the best people... 5g will take it to a higher level. 😉

25 minutes ago, longgone said:

a converted man 😃 

a typical 5G worker 

businessman-sitting-on-the-beach-on-infl

Ha... If Richard Branston and others can, why not others...

They say people are moving to the cities, not everyone everywhere? 😉

18 minutes ago, winkie said:

Ha... If Richard Branston and others can, why not others...

They say people are moving to the cities, not everyone everywhere? 😉

stick a webcam in your room at home and the boss can keep tabs just like at work. 

work smarter not harder. 😉

16 minutes ago, longgone said:

stick a webcam in your room at home and the boss can keep tabs just like at work. 

work smarter not harder. 😉

Wrong... Invasion of privacy not required... Just get the job done, never forget a good manager who said, reach the target don't need to come in on Friday. 😉

41 minutes ago, longgone said:

Never has those words uttered to me 

Some people can undertake the same amount of work in four days whilst for others they require five days.... For some time is more precious than than money. 😉

My wife has a WFH contract as does most of the company she works for.  She also works a 4 day week (compressed hours 4 x10).  

In the Insurance IT sector most companies seem to be smart desking now so that employees can have at least one day a week WFH (I always go for Wed so it breaks up the week).

So I'd say we were moving quite quickly now - presenteeism is gradually being faded out - much to the chagrin of "micro" middle managers.  

But agree with most on this thread on sentiment of less government not more please.

I haven't thought this idea through but why not make employers pay for their employees transport to work?

I used to work full time from home. You just need an employee who can produce the expected work output and a manager who doesn't care to micro-manage. Unfortunately I found that most managers are 'trained' managers and not really very good people leaders.

Expecting an important package to arrive today?

Well today your diver is working from home.

Please go to 32 Sodbury Terrace to collect your item.

Have a nice day.

1 hour ago, Lord D'arcy Pew said:

Expecting an important package to arrive today?

Well today your diver is working from home.

Please go to 32 Sodbury Terrace to collect your item.

Have a nice day.

Drone or driverless delivery? 😉

9 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Thoughts?

It's now about 5pm. 8 hours ago was about 9am. 

I think that you had a bad commute this morning?

11 hours ago, longgone said:

80% of my IT work was done remotely so Yes no need to go to a soulless office all day.  And my internet connection is better for ebay surfing. 

Agree. I tend to find people who work regularly in offices are the least productive people.

4 hours ago, highYield said:

It's now about 5pm. 8 hours ago was about 9am. 

I think that you had a bad commute this morning?

Nah, it was actually 8am.

And actually, I do regularly work from home. I was just marvelling at all the people who seemed to be in professions that could homework.  Personally, I wouldn't employ someone who couldn't work effectively from home and who needed constant supervision. I just find the attendance culture people are the laziest and most ineffective - it's often the ones who rock on 9.45 /10.00and then hang around gossiping until 7.30pm.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

I can't understand the sheer stupidity of thinking the government bureaucracy can ever be a solution to anything. 

How can paying committees of bureaucrats to get involved ever be cheaper? They don't even have any experience of commercial reality most of them. 

And yet every day you see otherwise quite normal people demanding the government get involved and start taxing - -- somebody else so they can get their pet project off the ground.  

Liebenstein should be given a public whipping by a domme dressed as a middle manager. 

Definitely not, although it should at least try to think of something to do about increasing centralisation. But home working is not something I think should be encouraged. It's occasionally useful to be able to do it but I'm a very strong believer in keeping home life and work life separate, that trying to force them together is going to ultimately do a lot more harm than good to people - your job, there's no escape. Home working is a terrible, terrible idea even though I can see why it has some superficial, immediate appeal.

Trying to get some offices set up near homes (i.e. walking distance) with the same facilities might be a good move though.