House Price Crash Forum
PeanutButter

House prices will be impacted...

Climate crisis: flooding threat ‘may force UK towns to be abandoned’

Environment Agency calls for urgent action to protect country from river and coastal floods

Entire communities might need to be moved away from coasts and rivers as the UK takes urgent action to prepare for an average global temperature rise of 4C, the Environment Agency warned.

The agency said on Thursday that difficult decisions would have to be taken in the coming years to make sure the UK was resilient amid flooding that would not be held back by higher land defences.

Emma Howard Boyd, chair of the agency, set out the regulator’s long-term strategy for tackling flooding and coastal change, which, she said, was a preparation for a 4C rise in global temperatures. The rise is far in excess of the target of 1.5C above pre-industrial levels set in the legally binding Paris Agreement of 2015.

“The coastline has never stayed in the same place and there have always been floods, but climate change is increasing and accelerating these threats,” said Howard Boyd. “We can’t win a war against water by building away climate change with infinitely high flood defences. We need to develop consistent standards for flood and coastal resilience in England that help communities better understand their risk and give them more control about how to adapt and respond.”

How many climate change deniers have moved to the seaside? :D What a great investment ;) 

Edited by PeanutButter

36 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Climate crisis: flooding threat ‘may force UK towns to be abandoned’

How many climate change deniers have moved to the seaside? :D What a great investment ;) 

Nothing has changed in 40 years and nothing will change in the next 40 years. Floods and storms are natural and have been around long before man.

But it will be fun watching the loony left turn into hillbillies. Something good has to come out of the billions wasted on fake science.

image.thumb.png.6f81e786f421a4b0dd2be90fcab56bcf.png:D

Surrrrrrrrrrrrre

I'm sure the Environment Agency is part of the GLOBAL CONSPIRACY to pretend that sea levels are rising :D 

Since you're certain house prices in low lying areas WON'T FALL I'm sure we'd all love to see some photos of your new beachfront property - because there's simply no risk, right CK?  Go on. Put your money where your mouth is. I dares ya.

When even right wing hate rag the Daily Heil is agreeing with climate science I think you'll find the loonies are all on your side ;) 

Edited by PeanutButter

Just now, PeanutButter said:

image.thumb.png.6f81e786f421a4b0dd2be90fcab56bcf.png:D

Surrrrrrrrrrrrre

I'm sure the Environmental Agency is part of the GLOBAL CONSPIRACY to pretend that sea levels are rising :D 

Since you're certain house prices in low lying areas WON'T FALL I'm sure we'd all love to see some photos of your new beachfront property - because there's simply no risk, right CK?  Go on. Put your money where your mouth is. I dares ya.

When even right wing hate rag the Daily Heil is agreeing with climate science I think you'll find the loonies are all on your side ;) 

Happy to be caught.

I don't have a beachfront property. But if they drop in price considerably because people believe the fake science then I'll buy one.

Unfortunately, no one believes it.

Let me correct that.

People believe in the religion of man-made climate change because they don't like to be called deniers.

People believe in the fake hockey stick graphs and pseudoscience because they want to be seen as caring about the planet.

It's just that no one believes in the reality of man-made climate change, so they aren't putting their money where their mouths are.

Edited by Captain Kirk

Most of the worst areas for flooding are inland not on the coast. My SiL lives in Gloucester and has a special board to hand to block her front door, the last time they had flooding she had to climb in and out of her living room window as if she had opened her front door she would have flooded her house.

And they are building estate after estate of brand new houses on this flood plain.

20 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

Let me correct that.

People believe in the religion of man-made climate change because they don't like to be called deniers.

People believe in the fake hockey stick graphs and pseudoscience because they want to be seen as caring about the planet.

It's just that no one believes in the reality of man-made climate change, so they aren't putting their money where their mouths are.

climate-4.jpg

9 minutes ago, regprentice said:

Most of the worst areas for flooding are inland not on the coast. My SiL lives in Gloucester and has a special board to hand to block her front door, the last time they had flooding she had to climb in and out of her living room window as if she had opened her front door she would have flooded her house.

And they are building estate after estate of brand new houses on this flood plain.

Of course they're building more and more. That's progress for you, got to have more houses! Heaven forbid that instead we should desire to not need more houses, so no pressure to build on floodplains or anyway else, and even be able to start knocking down some of the crap we've built in the last 100 years. Then we might actually have an increasingly pleasant country to live in instead of an increasingly unpleasant one but who in their right mind would want that? Can't measure pleasantness anyway but you can measure GDP so we all know which is the only one that should matter.

It's incredible to me that there are people that still don't "believe" the science, and people that think climate change is some sort of left/right political issue (how does the chain of logic even get there?). It's happening now, it going to be worse than most of us think and it's going to happen faster. At some point the banks are going to stop lending to at-risk areas and then it won't matter if you "believe" in it or not, you still won't be able to sell your house.

1 hour ago, Captain Kirk said:

Nothing has changed in 40 years and nothing will change in the next 40 years. Floods and storms are natural and have been around long before man.

But it will be fun watching the loony left turn into hillbillies. Something good has to come out of the billions wasted on fake science.

"Floods and storms are natural and have been around long before man."

this is my view...but the climate changes on its own anyway with or without us..........I am all in favour of protecting the planet and reducing pollution...but it has always changed and always will.....the trouble with people is that some will create a false narrative to profit from it so who the heck can you trust ?

I will say having witnesed flooding along the Thames....it will happen again..and those people buying previously flooded homes need their Noggins checked out !

I sold a house 18 months before the floods it didnt flood...but it was at the driveway and i lived there 12 years and am local to the area it had never been there since the house was built or in my lifetime....lots of neighbours were flooded...some estates were 90% plus flooded....and people have been buying them..nuts

A chap who worked for Thames Water ...lived in one house.....for 30 years...moved his car the night before curiously to a location on high ground......his house came within a whisker of flooding but didnt...one of a handful on the estate that didnt...

He has since sold his FOREVER Home and moved.....inside knowledge ?

Edited by Spindler

Just now, mattyboy1973 said:

It's incredible to me that there are people that still don't "believe" the science, and people that think climate change is some sort of left/right political issue (how does the chain of logic even get there?). It's happening now, it going to be worse than most of us think and it's going to happen faster. At some point the banks are going to stop lending to at-risk areas and then it won't matter if you "believe" in it or not, you still won't be able to sell your house.

Could do with a bit of tightening up with what an at risk area means though. I've had trouble with getting insurance because a nearby river is sufficiently close to my house and the flood maps have about a foot either side of its usual course marked as high flood risk. It's about 30' below my house. If there's enough rain to make that flood my house then a great many other places are going to be a long way under water. At first I assume the problem was with the even nearer canal that's at the same level as the house. Apparently not.

5 minutes ago, Spindler said:

this is my view...but the climate changes on its own anyway with or without us..........I am all in favour of protecting the planet and reducing pollution...but it has always changed and always will.....the trouble with people is that some will create a false narrative to profit from it so who the heck can you trust ?

Do you think that its more likely that a hundred thousand disparate climate scientists are engaged in a global conspiracy to "profit" from climate change by getting bigger research grants, or a few dozen global mega corporations whose profits rely on maintaining the status quo, and whose own scientists have known about the climate risks for over fifty years?

Edited by mattyboy1973

7 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Could do with a bit of tightening up with what an at risk area means though

Ultimately that is down to the actuaries I guess. We do have a bad habit of building on flood plains here (Somerset Levels, the whole of the Thames valley) and if these floods go from once in a generation to once a decade or less then the areas will become essentially unlivable and uninsurable. And climate change is not just about sea-levels; the effects of more frequent extreme weather events will probably hit the UK much harder than any sea level rise.

Edited by mattyboy1973

35 minutes ago, mattyboy1973 said:

Do you think that its more likely that a hundred thousand disparate climate scientists are engaged in a global conspiracy to "profit" from climate change by getting bigger research grants, or a few dozen global mega corporations whose profits rely on maintaining the status quo, and whose own scientists have known about the climate risks for over fifty years?

The problem is there are 30,000+ scientists that have gone out of their way to state that they do not agree with the 300 or so alarmists that make all the noise. And yes, the alarmists do get huge research grants. It really is big bucks.

Also, it will be the mega corporations that will profit from green solutions. They will be the ones getting the government grants and selling the technology. We will be the ones paying for it all.

12 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

The problem is there are 30,000+ scientists that have gone out of their way to state that they do not agree with the 300 or so alarmists that make all the noise. And yes, the alarmists do get huge research grants. It really is big bucks.

Also, it will be the mega corporations that will profit from green solutions. They will be the ones getting the government grants and selling the technology. We will be the ones paying for it all.

This is simply ********. Post some sources please.

Few care about climate catastrophe or extinction but if house prices are at risk of a fall then I expect action will be taken.  I wonder how much UKGov has spent on propping up house prices over the last ten years or so and what might have been achieved if this had been invested in green energy.??

6 minutes ago, mattyboy1973 said:

This is simply ********. Post some sources please.

It's been posted before.

http://www.petitionproject.org/

https://www.heritage.org/environment/commentary/follow-the-climate-change-money

https://www.businessgreen.com/bg/news-analysis/3073837/shell-unveils-usd300m-nature-investment-plan

Edited by Captain Kirk

9 minutes ago, Wayward said:

Few care about climate catastrophe or extinction but if house prices are at risk of a fall then I expect action will be taken. 

Sadly on this I agree.

It's a "genuine petition" signed by 30,000 near-random members of the US general public, that states the following:

We urge the United States government to reject the global warming agreement that was written in Kyoto, Japan in December, 1997, and any other similar proposals. The proposed limits on greenhouse gases would harm the environment, hinder the advance of science and technology, and damage the health and welfare of mankind.

There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gases is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth’s atmosphere and disruption of the Earth’s climate. Moreover, there is substantial scientific evidence that increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon the natural plant and animal environments of the Earth.

It is totally and utterly meaningless with respect to any debate on climate change, it is also totally wrong and you should be embarrassed for posting it.

1 minute ago, mattyboy1973 said:

It's a "genuine petition" signed by 30,000 near-random members of the US general public, that states the following:

It is totally and utterly meaningless with respect to any debate on climate change, it is also totally wrong and you should be embarrassed for posting it.

You should be embarrassed for having been brainwashed.

So what are you doing about the impending catastrophe? Running to the hills with the other loonies?

1 hour ago, mattyboy1973 said:

left/right political issue (how does the chain of logic even get there?)

Left = big government

Right = small government

If climate change

1) is happening 

2) has more net negatives than positives

3) is caused by human activity

4) could conceivably be altered by changing behaviour

Then you have a good excuse to increase the size of the government, which is a Left wing wet dream.

This thread is amazing.... Global climate change is happening and has happened for as long the earth has existed. Measurements are telling us temperatures are rising. The extent of human contribution is open for debate, but wouldn't you rather take a precautionary approach instead of risking irreversible global damage?

Edited by btd1981