House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDavola

Mount Prospect Park, Lisburn Road

Anyone know anything about this street? Is it a safe enough area to live?

It's mostly small semi's so I'd hope that would mean it's less likely to be full of HMO's ect.

Tried searching the crime stats (see below) but doesn't really tell you much; better to know someone who lives there:

https://www.police.uk/northern-ireland/Lisburn Road/crime/2018-01/all-crime/1360359/

There's a guest house at the end of the street (with shutters on the windows which is odd):

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@54.584055,-5.94485,206.91h,-3.65p,1z

It's certainly not the 'posh' part of the Lisburn Road (i.e. Derryvolgie), but I'm wondering if it's near enough to some bad elements of the Lisburn Road that you'd not want to live there...

On 05/05/2019 at 13:09, JoeDavola said:

Anyone know anything about this street? Is it a safe enough area to live?

It's mostly small semi's so I'd hope that would mean it's less likely to be full of HMO's ect.

Tried searching the crime stats (see below) but doesn't really tell you much; better to know someone who lives there:

https://www.police.uk/northern-ireland/Lisburn Road/crime/2018-01/all-crime/1360359/

There's a guest house at the end of the street (with shutters on the windows which is odd):

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@54.584055,-5.94485,206.91h,-3.65p,1z

It's certainly not the 'posh' part of the Lisburn Road (i.e. Derryvolgie), but I'm wondering if it's near enough to some bad elements of the Lisburn Road that you'd not want to live there...

I know someone who lives in that area for a good number of years. The area has changed a lot over recently and there are quite a number of rentals. For the money that is being asked, you would be far better going up to Fourwinds/BT8.

Edited by The_Equalizer

22 hours ago, The_Equalizer said:

I know someone who lives in that area for a good number of years. The area has changed a lot over recently and there are quite a number of rentals. For the money that is being asked, you would be far better going up to Fourwinds/BT8.

Thanks very much for the info, much appreciated.

Yes this is what I'm wondering - I'd hoped that it was a little owner-occupier oasis in within the mostly student/HMO houses that are in the area. Ulsterville Avenue runs parallel to it but I'd not be able to afford a decent house there they go for big money.

There's a house for sale at the moment that I'm thinking of viewing but I took a walk down the street and there does seem to be at least one obvious HMO as well as several houses in bad states of repair that I'd guess are rentals.

Could you ask your friend what has changed exactly? Has the number of owner occupiers gone down drastically? I wouldn't want to spend the best part of 200K on a house only to find myself in a street of HMO's in 5 years time.

The struggle as ever is to find somewhere affordable that you'd want to own in the long term that's walking distance to the city centre/south Belfast.

4 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Thanks very much for the info, much appreciated.

Yes this is what I'm wondering - I'd hoped that it was a little owner-occupier oasis in within the mostly student/HMO houses that are in the area. Ulsterville Avenue runs parallel to it but I'd not be able to afford a decent house there they go for big money.

There's a house for sale at the moment that I'm thinking of viewing but I took a walk down the street and there does seem to be at least one obvious HMO as well as several houses in bad states of repair that I'd guess are rentals.

Could you ask your friend what has changed exactly? Has the number of owner occupiers gone down drastically? I wouldn't want to spend the best part of 200K on a house only to find myself in a street of HMO's in 5 years time.

The struggle as ever is to find somewhere affordable that you'd want to own in the long term that's walking distance to the city centre/south Belfast.

More than happy to help. The area has a mix of older residents, students and, more recently, people from various corners of the Globe. My understanding is there are quite a number of rentals. As you would with any place you do not know, go and have a look at various times of the day and night to get the feel of what it is like. The person I know was not overly happy with what they thought to be an increase in anti-social behaviour and had talked about moving.

I decided last year to take the plunge and buy. Do note that I have been on HPC since 2004. I also thought it would be great to be able to walk the kids to school and walk to work. The trouble is everyone else that works in Belfast wants to live in the nice bits of South Belfast. Those people seem to have either deeper pockets than I do and/or a greater willingness to take on a hefty mortgage. Basically I had to choose between a small house that didn't suit my needs in South Belfast or further afield. I ended up staying in the suburbs (and still having to commute), but getting the house I wanted. From what I read in your posts this might have to be your compromise too. For many years, I was resolute that it had to be Belfast or nothing. The trouble being it was rapidly looking like it would be nothing. Time and tide and all that.

The outer reaches of Fourwinds seem to be at £160K for a 3 bed that will need work. I know I have mentioned Whiteabbey before, but to me, after accidentally having to live there, it has pockets that are good. An example would be this apartment now sold:

Dillon's Grange - UPS

It's a lovely mixed road (in all senses), very easy walk to the station and a 15 minutes commute by train. Do note that the postcode in the listing is incorrect. Dillon's Grange is BT37 0SU.

This house in Whiteabbey village (which is Jordanstown in every sense) looks not bad value. The only drawback is Whiteabbey and Jordanstown stations are further away so it would either be a little longer walk or a bus in to work:

5 Old Manse Court - Whiteabbey Village - Propertynews.com

These are only examples of what I know, and I am sure you could find something similar in areas you know to suit your needs. I am happy to go into further detail if you want to PM me.

Edited by The_Equalizer

2 hours ago, The_Equalizer said:

These are only examples of what I know, and I am sure you could find something similar in areas you know to suit your needs. I am happy to go into further detail if you want to PM me.

Unfortunately I've had my PM rights removed by the mods, I do have an email address that I'd be happy to post up here but that also depends if @The Moderators would allow that.

Dear @The Moderators - would it be possible to re-instate my PM rights? If not, what are the rules regarding posting an email address here. Thanks.

In between your PM rights' request, I was thinking that another area of interest - or at least it was to me - was Kinnegar in Holywood. Not considered the posh part, but it does have the delightful Dirty Duck pub, it seems there are reasonable new and doer-uppers albeit round the £165K mark. It is also right next to the railway station. Here are couple, now sold:

13 Kinnegar Drive - PropertyNews

32 Kinnegar Road - PropertyNews

My greatest house buying regret was not going to look at 22 Kinnegar Road. It was for sale back in 2012 and went out the door at £265k-ish. 

Edited by The_Equalizer

1 hour ago, The_Equalizer said:

In between your PM rights' request, I was thinking that another area of interest - or at least it was to me - was Kinnegar in Holywood. Not considered the posh part, but it does have the delightful Dirty Duck pub, it seems there are reasonable new and doer-uppers albeit round the £165K mark. It is also right next to the railway station. Here are couple, now sold:

My greatest house buying regret was not going to look at 22 Kinnegar Road. It was for sale back in 2012 and went out the door at £265k-ish. 

I actually know that area as I used to cycle to Hollwood and back during the weekends.

It's a possibility as I'd much rather commute on the train than the bus.

On 09/05/2019 at 18:25, The_Equalizer said:

In the absence of any response from the mods, you can contact me if you wish at: joe davola hpc (all one word) at gmail dot com. Cheers!

On 13/05/2019 at 14:15, JoeDavola said:

In the absence of any response from the mods, you can contact me if you wish at: joe davola hpc (all one word) at gmail dot com. Cheers!

Sorry, this slipped off the radar. I've sent you a little email.

Edited by The_Equalizer

5 hours ago, The_Equalizer said:

Sorry, this slipped off the radar. I've sent you a little email.

Cheers - don't have access to the email account at home so will get back to you on Monday!