House Price Crash Forum
scottbeard

Local elections (2 May 2019)

Polls have just closed - seems very likely that Tory votes will be decimated, Labour largely unchanged, with the Lib Dems as the biggest gainers do we think?

If the Tory vote is weak at this local level- what might that cause the government to do at national level to stem the loss of votes I wonder...?

After all, they only put the EU Referendum in their 2015 manifesto to stop losing votes to UKIP, I suspect now they've made such a hash of Brexit they will lose even more.

It’s pretty hilarious how far out of touch with constituents MPs and the London media are. Lib Dem member on BBC2 election show now stating people now love the Lib Dems and it’s not a protest. Very funny. 

Same show, a reporter stated that in many areas there has been a massive increase in spoiled ballots with the word ‘traitor’ and other, harsher words featuring prominently.

I support UKIP but they seem to have performed poorly overall. I think the TR and anti-Islam stuff has too much ‘bad optics’ for some voters.

I think labour and conservative voters are deserting them, and it will be between Farage and the Libdemocrats

1 hour ago, Ghostly said:

It’s pretty hilarious how far out of touch with constituents MPs and the London media are. Lib Dem member on BBC2 election show now stating people now love the Lib Dems and it’s not a protest. Very funny. 

Same show, a reporter stated that in many areas there has been a massive increase in spoiled ballots with the word ‘traitor’ and other, harsher words featuring prominently.

Yep, the Lib Dems (they need to drop the second part of the name IMO) are all over the telly shouting about how this is about us having to remain in the EU...for jobs, security bla bla bla...very tiresome, we need Farage to step up now, unless the Cons are spooked into just getting out to save any more damage to their party? Good bit of telly last night as a Conservative spelled it out to SKY "news" that even remainers are now angry at the undermining of democracy. Popcorn a Go Go.

25 minutes ago, dances with sheeple said:

Yep, the Lib Dems (they need to drop the second part of the name IMO) are all over the telly shouting about how this is about us having to remain in the EU...for jobs, security bla bla bla...very tiresome, we need Farage to step up now, unless the Cons are spooked into just getting out to save any more damage to their party? Good bit of telly last night as a Conservative spelled it out to SKY "news" that even remainers are now angry at the undermining of democracy. Popcorn a Go Go.

I voted for the greens.

My reasons

1. I will not consider voting conservative whilst TM is still there.

2. Labour could stick a rosette on a post and it would win election in Nelson Ward.  

3. The old man canvassing was nice and polite for the greens

So in essence anyone apart from labour and conservative.

Edited by Fromage Frais

I support UKIP but they seem to have performed poorly overall. I think the TR and anti-Islam stuff has too much ‘bad optics’ for some voters.

On the bright side, they probably aren't going to split the vote with the Brexit Party in EU and GE elections. Good for Farage. Obviously not so good if you wanted UKIP to win.

17 minutes ago, Fromage Frais said:

I voted for the greens.

My reasons

2. Labour could stick a rosette on a post and it would win election in Nelson Ward.  

Best ever national showing for the Greens. Impressive.

1 hour ago, Captain Kirk said:

On the bright side, they probably aren't going to split the vote with the Brexit Party in EU and GE elections. Good for Farage. Obviously not so good if you wanted UKIP to win.

The Euros don’t really matter to me. I don’t think The Brexit Party will stand in my area anyway so will stick with UKIP. Probably won’t vote in a GE or spoil the ballot since I’m in a solid Labour area, majority is so large it doesn’t make a difference.

43 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Best ever national showing for the Greens. Impressive.

Or the only option other than LibLabCon in some wards?

3 minutes ago, Ghostly said:

The Euros don’t really matter to me. I don’t think The Brexit Party will stand in my area anyway so will stick with UKIP. Probably won’t vote in a GE or spoil the ballot since I’m in a solid Labour area, majority is so large it doesn’t make a difference.

I think it does make a difference even in a safe seat - albeit a much smaller one than in a marginal seat.

When national vote shares are reported your vote will be aggregated with all the others for that party, and all politicians will sit up and take notice.

General Election votes for UKIP changed the face of British politics without UKIP ever winning a seat, just because the Tories had to act to stem the flow.

Or the only option other than LibLabCon in some wards?

Indeed. In my area there were only 3 options on the ballot paper - Con/Lab/Independent. So no liberals, Greens or anyone else. 

7 hours ago, Fromage Frais said:

I voted for the greens.

Same here. The Green party are fairly strong in Norwich, despite not quite winning the seats.

Just had the choice of LibLabCon or Greens in my ward. No Independents or UKIP so I voted Greens as a protest vote.

I think that the purple party may get my vote in the Euro elections due to the Brexit clustershambles.

7 hours ago, Fromage Frais said:

I voted for the greens.

My reasons

The only vote for me until they just leave and be done with it is Farage, maybe Labour at a push if that is the only thing that will finally bring down the debt Ponzi that this country has become.

8 hours ago, prozac said:

I think labour and conservative voters are deserting them, and it will be between Farage and the Libdemocrats

Actually, they haven't supported UKIP (the proxy Brexit option) and the support has swung to remain parties.

Some of the councils round me like Guildford had massive swings against the Conservatives, interestingly the only surviving Conservatives were the known remainers.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

1 minute ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Actually, they haven't supported UKIP (the proxy Brexit option) and the support has swung to remain parties.

UKIP is racist, Farage is not 

7 hours ago, Ghostly said:

Where are you? The Euros are regional but you'd be surprised how the boundaries go. Some places you would think are in the Midlands are in the SE etc. I'm pretty sure the Brexit party has a candidate in all regions of the UK. Farage is standing in the SE region, Annunziata Rees-Mogg is East Mids region / Nottingham kind of way. They are the few I know about...

Edited by bear.getting.old

7 hours ago, Ghostly said:

majority is so large it doesn’t make a difference.

It always makes a difference, 1 vote is 1 vote

In many areas with 'huge majorities' there are equally huge numbers of people who don't vote.

Even if all you do is reduce that majority by 1 vote that is still one step closer to making others believe that an alternative party could win in the next election.

It doesnt make any difference until it does - otherwise you could argue that in every constituency (of 70,000 odd people) only one persons vote really counted - the one who pushed them over the line.

6 minutes ago, bear.getting.old said:

Thats probably the blinkered snowflakes swallowing up all the save the world nonsense taught in schools

You're the one wearing blinkers, snowflake. AGW is peer-reviewed science.

5 minutes ago, bear.getting.old said:

UKIP is not racist but is reported and smeared as so by the likes of the BBC unfortunately. And other people....

UKIP may claim not to be racist but they have been repeatedly infiltrated by racist and far-right elements to the point that the vast majority of people no longer consider them worthy of discussion.

6 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

You're the one wearing blinkers, snowflake. AGW is peer-reviewed science.

AGW is it now? It makes no difference what C02 levels we emit, there is loads of natural co2 occuring, there is nothing that we can do. Even if we all vanished off the planet tomorrow... the climate will still change, it always has done over the years before we were even on the planet. To think you can do anything about it is a view of crazy self importance in order to make you feel good.