House Price Crash Forum
PeanutButter

Revealed: populists far more likely to believe in conspiracy theoriesLargest survey of its kind uncovers suspicion of vaccines in big part of world population

Largest survey of its kind uncovers suspicion of vaccines in big part of world population

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/01/revealed-populists-more-likely-believe-conspiracy-theories-vaccines

Populists across the world are significantly more likely to believe in conspiracy theories about vaccinations, global warming and the 9/11 terrorist attacks, according to a landmark global survey shared exclusively with the Guardian.

The YouGov-Cambridge Globalism Project sheds new light on a section of the world population that appears to have limited faith in scientific experts and representative democracy.

Funny, I've been unconsciously lumping together climate change deniers/antivaxxers/pizzagaters etc for ages. 

image.png.075fb12f78a6709b00f0a9cf88d97d84.png

What precisely is a "populist" though?

Wikipedia defines populism as "referring to a range of political stances that emphasise the idea of "the people" and often juxtapose this group against "the elite." There is no single definition of the term"

Clicking into the article, you can see that there is overlap between people with populist views, and those same people mis-trusting anything that looks like authority (be that scientists, doctors, government, the EU etc)

But hang on - a populist is DEFINED as someone who thinks the elite is out to get them.

So they define populist as people with "anti-establishment" views.  Then survey them, and find that their views are "anti-establishment".

I can't see how that is at all surprising or insightful?

It's like taking a survey of Arsenal supporters, and concluding they're considerably more likely to own a red replica football shirt than the population at large.

7 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

What precisely is a "populist" though?

Wikipedia defines populism as "referring to a range of political stances that emphasise the idea of "the people" and often juxtapose this group against "the elite." There is no single definition of the term"

Clicking into the article, you can see that there is overlap between people with populist views, and those same people mis-trusting anything that looks like authority (be that scientists, doctors, government, the EU etc)

But hang on - a populist is DEFINED as someone who thinks the elite is out to get them.

So they define populist as people with "anti-establishment" views.  Then survey them, and find that their views are "anti-establishment".

I can't see how that is at all surprising or insightful?

It's like taking a survey of Arsenal supporters, and concluding they're considerably more likely to own a red replica football shirt than the population at large.

We also hate spurs 

52 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Largest survey of its kind uncovers suspicion of vaccines in big part of world population

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/01/revealed-populists-more-likely-believe-conspiracy-theories-vaccines

Funny, I've been unconsciously lumping together climate change deniers/antivaxxers/pizzagaters etc for ages. 

image.png.075fb12f78a6709b00f0a9cf88d97d84.png

I've lost track of all these conspiracies.

What the **** was pizza-gate? Was George Soros responsible for that too?

Do people really deny climate change still? 

Good Lord. The fact we need a certain amount of carbon in the atmosphere to keep us all warm and alive was ordinary level science when I was at school. 

What exactly are they denying? 

1 hour ago, zugzwang said:

I've lost track of all these conspiracies.

What the **** was pizza-gate? Was George Soros responsible for that too?

I’m almost certain Soros (the ultimate bogeyman) was mentioned. As a summary, a pizza restaurant was rumoured to host child abuse in its basement (the restaurant in question has no basement). This theory was spread around the populist spheres on radio, 4chan, youtube etc as being run by various left/centre politicians. It ended up with a nutter going in and shooting (no one was hurt) and recently someone tried to burn the place down.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizzagate_conspiracy_theory

Relevance to price of housing?? Is a belief that price of housing is artificially inflated to enrich favoured groups a nut job conspiracy theory?

12 minutes ago, Wayward said:

Relevance to price of housing?? Is a belief that price of housing is artificially inflated to enrich favoured groups a nut job conspiracy theory?

The thing with economics is that it isn't a science, and it's certainly not got the strength of concensus that many important science topics have (evolution, round earth, vaccines, yadda yadda). So doubting common economics is nowhere near as weird as doubting that the earth's round or that men walked on they moon. Common mainstream economics has time and time again got big things wrong, not least because it's so tied up in self interest and politics. It's hard to say the same about Newton's laws....

1 hour ago, Wayward said:

The Bank of England published a study showing that their post-2008 monetary policy had pushed up asset prices and made the rich richer while the assetless suffered so it's closer to being an undisputed fact than a conspiracy theory.

The problem is tptb have undermined science etc by paying bribes. 

Now no one believes authorities unless they understand the data themselves.

Take government statistics. .. a work of fiction trump said? 

9 hours ago, 24gray24 said:

The problem is tptb have undermined science etc by paying bribes. 

Now no one believes authorities unless they understand the data themselves.

Take government statistics. .. a work of fiction trump said? 

Tptb have been desperately trying to undermine and suppress science a lot of the time from where I'm sat... pull it down, not prop it up. 

The climate change is a hoax thing reminds an old me a lot of when ciggie companies spent decades (almost the best part of 50 years) denying their products were bad for you. 

It seems absolutely mental in hindsight, but well into the 80s powerful lobby groups and money men were still actively supressing and/or muddying the links between cigarettes and cancer. 

Anyone who thinks climate change skeptics are the good guys and not in the pockets of oil companies/states is frankly a complete idiot and/or Jeremy Corbyn's even madder brother. 

Edited by byron78

7 minutes ago, byron78 said:

Tptb have been desperately trying to undermine and suppress science a lot of the time from where I'm sat... pull it down, not prop it up. 

The climate change is a hoax thing reminds an old me a lot of when ciggie companies spent decades (almost the best part of 50 years) denying their products were bad for you. 

It seems absolutely mental in hindsight, but well into the 80s powerful lobby groups and money men were still actively supressing and/or muddying the links between cigarettes and cancer. 

Anyone who thinks climate change skeptics are the good guys and not in the pockets of oil companies/states is frankly a complete idiot and/or Jeremy Corbyn's even madder brother. 

remember Galileo....imprisoned for suggesting the  earth went around the sun...convicted of heresy.....reminds me of the chinese proverb......he who speaks the truth needs a fast horse

The YouGov-Cambridge Globalism Project 

😱 A leading university is teaming up with a polling organisation to do globalism to us? I knew it, I bloody knew it.

32 minutes ago, Spindler said:

remember Galileo....imprisoned for suggesting the  earth went around the sun...convicted of heresy.....reminds me of the chinese proverb......he who speaks the truth needs a fast horse

Never heard it before but that's a great proverb! 

43 minutes ago, Spindler said:

Socrates was executed for similar reasons. Darwin was only able to do what he did, against the will of society, because he had f#ck off private wealth from his dad. Einstein scraped through his PhD on the 4th attempt.

His 2nd attempt he walked out on his supervisor. 3rd attempt the examiners said he hadn't written enough (he'd developed a comprehensive and elegant proof in a conventional field, probably too elegant and compact). He added a single additional sentence and resubmitted and they gave in and awarded him his PhD.

The first attempt is the really interesting one. Circumstantial evidence, letters etc, and what he was working on at the time, suggests he submitted, without any supervision, an early incomplete version of one of his revolutionary theoretical ideas, either his BM analysis or corpuscular theory of light. However the university of Zurich's records are strangely blank for that precise period, implying they could have rather summarily rejected nobel-prize standard work from one of the greatest scientists to have lived, well you can guess the likely reason.

Some of these conspiracy theories give TPTB more credit than they deserve. The moon landing hoax theory for a start - pulling that off and keeping it unders wraps sounds more difficult than actually doing it for real.

Knowledge of alien visitation sounds more plausible on the basis that I expect they haven't a clue what's going on or what they might want.

1 hour ago, highYield said:

😱 A leading university is teaming up with a polling organisation to do globalism to us? I knew it, I bloody knew it.

Indeed, and reported in the guardian desperate to discredit anything but the status quo.  There's also a saying that you shouldn't be anything on conspiracy that you can't blame on incompetence first! 

Is an over inflated HPI a conspiracy?.....I suspect a side effect of decisions where this side effect was underestimated and basic economics forgotten.  Help to buy in theory superficially seemed a good idea but......

Climate change a hoax? No as it started with genuine concern but snowballed into other issues.

It's completely possible to be annoyed with TPTB without being a conspiracy nut.

21 minutes ago, Wayward said:

Some of these conspiracy theories give TPTB more credit than they deserve. The moon landing hoax theory for a start - pulling that off and keeping it unders wraps sounds more difficult than actually doing it for real.

Totally agree with that...also what people fail to take into account(usually because they are low in emotional intelligence)  is that you have to take into account the type of people involved.....Neil Armstrong....asked to do a hoax.....not a ********* snowballs chance in hell....

It's like the MCCanns.....the lengths they have gone to....and still some people say they are covering their tracks.....it says more about the low EI of the accuser than anything else.....

Some would say Oh Armstrong et al...would have been pressured ..threatened....oh yeah ..i n armstrongs case just for starters.....ex combat vet.....flew a plane back with half a wing missing after severing it on a wire.....bailed near the carrier because only speed kept it flying....to slow down it would have fallen out of the sky.......the guy ejected from the flying bestead ...seconds from death......try asking a guy like that to fake the moon landing.....

13 hours ago, Si1 said:

concensus

Nothing to do with science.

"Common mainstream" science has time and time again got big things wrong, so, there's that.

17 minutes ago, Locke said:

Nothing to do with science.

"Common mainstream" science has time and time again got big things wrong, so, there's that.

For example?

2 hours ago, Spindler said:

Galileo....imprisoned for suggesting the  earth went around the sun...convicted of heresy

It was the heresy and not the heliocentrism which got him in trouble.