House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longgone

if only houses were priced as well as TV`s

imported cost of £172.45 per unit I calculate, suppose an online retailer will have a smaller margin so your £200 would not be far off.

1 hour ago, HowMuch! said:

imported cost of £172.45 per unit I calculate, suppose an online retailer will have a smaller margin so your £200 would not be far off.

pretty amazing  i had a 43" plasma tv in 2003 cost £5000. 

I am running 3x Acer K242HL monitors on this PC, 24" full HD that cost me 70 quid each (inc vat).

They're fine for work stuff. Bit flimsy mounts, but I have them on dual VESA desk mount brackets (that cost about 15 quid from shop4world).

I don't know what the better bargain was, the brackets or the monitors.

Edit, not inflation adjusted, I could buy 70 of these monitors for your 5k.

3 hours ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

I am running 3x Acer K242HL monitors on this PC, 24" full HD that cost me 70 quid each (inc vat).

They're fine for work stuff. Bit flimsy mounts, but I have them on dual VESA desk mount brackets (that cost about 15 quid from shop4world).

I don't know what the better bargain was, the brackets or the monitors.

Edit, not inflation adjusted, I could buy 70 of these monitors for your 5k.

i have a hannspree 27" wqhd that was £85 from amazon in the warehouse deal.  

That 43" pioneer plasma was an insurance claim as i broke my original plasma monitor so they replaced it with that only cost £300 at the time  in hindsight should have taken the cash , but was young and no one had a 5k tv at home then 😀

got a 65" panasonic oled now stunning picture however the thinness worries me.  

I like OLED but I don't watch enough telly to justify the investment. Plus I think there are still some questions about burn in/lifetime to be answered. I can understand the thinness is an issue if it is not wall mounted. Do they put the ports on the side ?

1 minute ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

I like OLED but I don't watch enough telly to justify the investment. Plus I think there are still some questions about burn in/lifetime to be answered. I can understand the thinness is an issue if it is not wall mounted. Do they put the ports on the side ?

only the top half is thin and when i say thin i mean under 5mm however the screen looks to be laminated onto the metal sheet. 

its on a cantilever stand so can`t get knocked over. there is a worry for burn-in on oled`s but Panasonic are really the masters when it comes to tv`s it has pixel shift so is constantly moving the picture quicker than the eyes can see, all Oled`s use LG panels though but the Panasonic is less susceptible than the LG tv`s.  i got it for a very good price so not so worried, comes with a 5 year warranty.  

4 minutes ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

Crazy money 

i think you will need a big room for 85"  yeah probably need the house first 😄 can the eyes actually tell the difference between 4k and 8k ? Microled will super seed all one day 

going up from a 50" plasma to a 65" seems a massive jump but when you takeaway the size of the bezels around the old plasma you are only about 8 inches physically bigger than the old tv as oled has no bezels. 

Feels to me that 8K will be a struggle to sell into consumer grade gear, especially in Europe.

Lowest screen size available on 4K seems to be around 40 inches. My guess is that the benefit their between HD and UHD is hard to discern at that level. Simple extrapolation suggests that moving up to 8K you will need 80 inch telly minimum. The question is how many UK houses can easily accomodate an 80" TV without smashing the living room into the kitchen ?

You are assuming consumers know that 80" is when you start to see the benefit of 8k. In retail land a higher number always equals better regardless if it is or not. I only swapped to a bigger TV as oled is superior to LCD and plasma if oled did not exist I would keep the plasma as it is better than LCD even though production stopped in 2014.  People always want more than what they have even when they don't need it. I can see a few 1 bed flats with 80 inch tellies dominating the room.😁

Boring boomer discussion here in the office about upgrading TV's - dissecting the meaning of the part numbers, spreadsheets comparing specs, the merits of different standards, what size to go for 60", 65"+?? and this is all for a bedroom TV :blink:

It's a hard life when the mortgage is paid and work (x2 salaries) is just paying for a lifestyle.

I really cannot be bothered upgrading our old 32" TV.

5 hours ago, Andy T said:

Boring boomer discussion here in the office about upgrading TV's - dissecting the meaning of the part numbers, spreadsheets comparing specs, the merits of different standards, what size to go for 60", 65"+?? and this is all for a bedroom TV :blink:

It's a hard life when the mortgage is paid and work (x2 salaries) is just paying for a lifestyle.

I really cannot be bothered upgrading our old 32" TV.

65" bedroom tv ??  

must have an active life 😄

On 06/05/2019 at 16:05, Ghostly said:

Can the human eye even distinguish 8k?

All about how big the TV is and how close you sit to it.

8K is approx 8000 pixels horizontal. If your TV was 1km wide horizontal then each pixel would be 12.5 cm across.

OTOH a 1m wide would put a horizontal pixel size at about 100 um, which is 1/10 of a mm.

I think the real question is, can I get a tv big enough in my house to see a benefit to having 8k.

Googling the lowest screen size its looking like 65" will be the smallest 8K screen available. That's a pretty big screen size, especially in a new build house.