House Price Crash Forum

It's about the right time of year, what are you all seeing? no rise? a rise? 

Industry:
Pay Rise %:

i will question my boss come monday, but at the moment it's looking like no rise this year! 

Why would anyone rub their employer up the wrong way when their is a healthy supply of cheap labour regardless of skillset. 

Want a pay rise ?  find a new job. Leave. 

16 minutes ago, longgone said:

Why would anyone rub their employer up the wrong way when their is a healthy supply of cheap labour regardless of skillset. 

regardless of skillset...i don;t think so !

30 minutes ago, longgone said:

Keep licking those boots, mate, you've missed a spot. 

Not sure where you're getting this idea about a supply of cheap labour regardless of skillset. The boot is very much on the other foot in my industry (accounting/financial services); firms/public sector organisations stopped training people during the last financial crisis and there's now a lack of experienced people at management/senior management levels. 

I had around a 20% rise at the back end of last year following a promotion and will be expecting 10ish this year as the role I'm now in has a wide pay band. 

If that is not forthcoming (October for me) I absolutely will change jobs. I could switch jobs tomorrow if I wanted to to be honest, given the level of demand. 

Can I suggest an OU course or similar to improve your prospects? 

Pharma

2.5% across the organisation

Somebody tell that one about TPTB avoiding a nominal HPC by letting inflation rip, we could all use a chuckle.

8 minutes ago, Hullabaloo82 said:

Keep licking those boots, mate, you've missed a spot. 

Not sure where you're getting this idea about a supply of cheap labour regardless of skillset. The boot is very much on the other foot in my industry (accounting/financial services); firms/public sector organisations stopped training people during the last financial crisis and there's now a lack of experienced people at management/senior management levels. 

I had around a 20% rise at the back end of last year following a promotion and will be expecting 10ish this year as the role I'm now in has a wide pay band. 

If that is not forthcoming (October for me) I absolutely will change jobs. I could switch jobs tomorrow if I wanted to to be honest, given the level of demand. 

Can I suggest an OU course or similar to improve your prospects? 

Wages are a waste of time in reality now house prices are so high.  This is just my feelings on the subject no economic analysis given. My thinking was if you work

0% rise, but over 14% for taking on additional responsibility. However holiday, pension provision etc are the bare min.

Working for a small employer is high risk and the reward does not represent this.

Hopefully the "brexit pause" will end and "performance" related pay will make up the difference.

Edited by HowMuch!
Additional information

Industry : software

Rise: likely 0% if I hadn't been pretty lucky at first, then forceful.

Detail: I've no doubt I'd have been seeing the square root of FA had I not 'played the game' earlier in the year having had a (crazy) offer in my back pocket from another firm I had a history with. 

As it happens though, I did and they wanted to keep me because, yeah, there are some positions that are extremely difficult to recruit for generally, and some people within those positions with skills even more scarce.

The rise was .... more than decent 😉.

That said there is a lot of inflation coming into play from my ongoing research....recruiters now regularly offering sums 40-50% higher than what was being offered 2/3 years ago.

Tell them you want something outrageous - I say a number 50% more than the max I've ever heard offered locally (excluding my own and the offer I got from the other firm) and still double a very good salary - and they'll show their hand with the highest they can go to, which is a good way to gauge where things are if you're not actually looking. So opportunities to be had if you're currently underpaid in certain industries.

Edited by Frugal Git

1 hour ago, Frugal Git said:

That said there is a lot of inflation coming into play from my ongoing research....recruiters now regularly offering sums 40-50% higher than what was being offered 2/3 years ago.

I'd agree with this.  I need to be careful not to confuse progression with inflation, but I'm now rarely seeing advertised sales/ technical sales salaries relating to advanced areas of IT (in London) below £100k. The last call I had from a recruiter started at £150k base, though that is what I am now on and the commission scheme wasn't as good.

I think a lot of this is to do with Sterling falling. If you work for a US multinational, they just think, "yeah that's about $200k fairly cheap and in line with what we pay in the US."  .......if you look at US wages, to be top 1% in the country you'd have a household income of $421,926 whilst in Connecticut it is $700,800.  

I'll be honest and say last year I earnt £240k and my wife earnt £110k, which makes £350k gross, or about $455k.

For the top 1% in the UK,  you'd be on something like £150k, so actually, the UK is a bit of an impoverished little sh!thole in comparison with the US. 

56 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

(Uk compared to US)

Totally concur, and one of the reasons I was quite aggressive with (and confident I'd get) what I wanted was exactly that. I even said that it might seem a lot for our area - but 'we all know that compared to my US peers - some of whom I'm now effectively telling what to do - I'm still very cheap'. Bit cheeky, but it hit home.

No joke, pretty sure I could wangle $600-750k p/a total comp in bay area. If I didn't have ties here I'd be over there in a heartbeat.

Edited by Frugal Git

5 hours ago, longgone said:

Much can be replicated cheaper or not needed at all.

you make no sense at all....do you tug your forelock at your employer ?

While looking at this thread i can see reed.co.uk on the right hand side....there does seem to have recently been a shift for experienced professionals salaries upwards....alongside that are the utter wallies with salaries so out of whack with the market in areas from reading/woking to central london that make on sense at all......for example i keep seeing experienced Sales Professional SaaS solutions fluent German 28k....28 ********k what wally thought that up....i earnt more than that in 1995.....on base alone...the German alone narrows it down to a select few with the background they want.....i have had calls from agents on roles like this....and remember in some cases we are talking central london here with a high "cost of work" that means commuting cost and time commuting......my answer is short and sharp when i wnt that kind of money i'll go be a window cleaner....tell your client to **** off and wake up...

remember some of these clowns do this because the management just want to pay themselves excessively and get everyone else to work for free.almost......only problem with that ...then all your staff are ********** saps....and that cant be good for your business.......sort of like  share buy backs to increase EPS so management bonuses go up when you could be investng in the business instead....

My favourite thing this week was the falling through of the asda/sainsbury deal......apparently when this was originally announced the boss of sainsbury was heard whistling "we're in the money" it was all about what was in it for him....

Edited by Spindler

The phrase "cost of work" i got recently...listening to 2 guys who had exited the workplace discussing how their daily expenditure had gone down so much...whether it be fuel...rail costs...day to day items....just buying drinks and sandwiches....

Cost of work needs to be rubbed into employers like salt into a wound.....i have also often thought that money spent by PAYE crowd on getting to work to earn gross money to then be taxed should be tax deductible......why should i pay money out of my taxed money for the govt to get its money out of my salary without taking into account the costs incurred to get to the job.....this should also include rail fares...car costs...etc etc....

these days company cars have gone out the window..so they give a car allowance....and if they make you redundant you are still on the hook for a 3 or 4 year car plan.....this one can be quite amusing in my niche.....i hear often of american //brit companies with no company structure trying to recruit in Germany.....in germany company cars are like us back in the 90's very common and status symbols....the us/brit firm offers a car allowance...german says no wants car....firm can;t do this if they have no company structure in germany or if they do....they have limited facilities to admin this....but we offer car allowance....german says Ja and whn i get my own car ...and you sack me what then ?...it's a continual headache.....not to mention mid level staff being on min 3 month notice periods or longer...

German speakers  at least in the b2b pro fintech or it space are at a premium currently because years ago there were a lot here because the money was better than in germany....now the reverse is true...and surprise surprise those not wedded to the uk have cleared off.....because as one of you pointed out above the uk has become an impoverished ****hole salary wise

Edited by Spindler

The **** payers in London are now really hitting the wall i hear from mates in recruitment....a lot of people dont even want to work in london period without flexi working  or a really serious wage to make it worth it.....so when the big swing ing**** climbs out of his business class seat. on the redeye...jumps on the heathrow express or into a london cab.....and starts looking at offices in London....he really should start thinking what he's going to be paying unless he just wants a bunch of greenhorns...who are stupid enough to work for free basically

Edited by Spindler

1 hour ago, Spindler said:

you make no sense at all....do you tug your forelock at your employer ?

My point is that for the many most positions can be recruited for less than those employees would like to earn the preceding year.

But what do I know, I have no employer. 

Put it this way a close friend from the 90's was on 10k a week hiring out skips for a living before the landfill tax came in.  Salaries are majorly low for most people other than the few on here earning 100k plus still not much though.

But then I look at houses and earnings and try to relate the two and get nowhere horses for courses as they say.  Personally I need very little but why should I hand over 47 weeks a year to an employer 

9 hours ago, Frugal Git said:

Industry : software

Rise: likely 0% if I hadn't been pretty lucky at first, then forceful.

Detail: I've no doubt I'd have been seeing the square root of FA had I not 'played the game' earlier in the year having had a (crazy) offer in my back pocket from another firm I had a history with. 

As it happens though, I did and they wanted to keep me because, yeah, there are some positions that are extremely difficult to recruit for generally, and some people within those positions with skills even more scarce.

The rise was .... more than decent 😉.

Tell them you want something outrageous - I say a number 50% more than the max I've ever heard offered locally (excluding my own and the offer I got from the other firm) and still double a very good salary - and they'll show their hand with the highest they can go to, which is a good way to gauge where things are if you're not actually looking. So opportunities to be had if you're currently underpaid in certain industries.

Any job that needs high skilled in the private sector is brutal for employers at the mo. Good, serves them right in the majority of cases.

Typically, people are recruited on 20-30% increase. You cannot get people to jack in a job for under 15%. If you want to 'Weve revalued your contributions, and found that we may have unvervalued your contributions and would like you to stay ...' then you'll find the bump up is ~50%.

If you suddenly find yourself with a large number of leavers - and most companies I deal with, despite their claims, operate at around ~20% attrition i.e. people walking which is bad. is even worse when ti takes them 10+ months to replace. Most companies are leaky.