House Price Crash Forum
Saving For a Space Ship

MPs demand that rules allowing offices to be converted into tiny flats must be scrapped

walking down a station path i hadnt gone near for years here in south east ...i noticed the victorian bog had beed turned into 2 of the smallest dwellings imaginable....i mean it was a mens one side and a ladies the other it would have been small as one dwelling but TWO!

It was one of those brick and tile jobs that people had bee peeing in for over a hundred years....stank to high heaven....it must have seeped into the very core of the building.....and they made 2 hobbit homes out of it !...Freaking unbelieveable

I know it's a bad situation when it's got to this but on an open market this kind of accommodation is a choice. And given the dearth of other choices I don't see why it should be banned?

Is this Labour just wanting everyone to be poor again?

6 minutes ago, Si1 said:

I know it's a bad situation when it's got to this but on an open market this kind of accommodation is a choice. And given the dearth of other choices I don't see why it should be banned?

Is this Labour just wanting everyone to be poor again?

No, it common sense not to have battery humans.

the air heads who dreamed of tower blocks had the Jetsons in their heads the reality was a lot different....what makes me laugh is the rich who buy posh versions of tower blocks.....enjoy that on a sunny day...or do they have dangerous balconies ? Too bad if you get drunk and sleep walk

A number of people that live in micro accommodation do not live in them, they sleep in them and either live at work or in the environment outside to help avoid mental health issues.....;)

1 hour ago, Brendan110_0 said:

No, it common sense not to have battery humans.

Really? So you know what other people want? Are you a communist?

1 hour ago, Si1 said:

I know it's a bad situation when it's got to this but on an open market this kind of accommodation is a choice

The people living in these places aren't doing so out of choice in a market, they are poor people being parked there by the council.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-47720887

Edited by Dorkins

it`not the decision to convert them that was the problem it`s that they could bypass the minimum planning laws and make them tiny. 

seeing as it is far cheaper to convert an old block than building a new one the developers are taking the mickey. 

11 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

The people living in these places aren't doing so out of choice in a market, they are poor people being parked there by the council.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-47720887

they actually are, I know I'm sounding very right wing here, but they have other options, homeless, move elsewhere in the country where there IS more housing, put kids up for adoption. So they have taken this as, for them, the least bad option.

that doesn't mean they should build less housing.

1 minute ago, longgone said:

it`not the decision to convert them that was the problem it`s that they could bypass the minimum planning laws and make them tiny. 

that's interesting - is this a fact, basically a loophole?

1 hour ago, Si1 said:

they actually are, I know I'm sounding very right wing here, but they have other options, homeless, move elsewhere in the country where there IS more housing, put kids up for adoption. So they have taken this as, for them, the least bad option.

If rocking up to the council penniless and desperate for your kids not to sleep on the street and then having to take whatever they give you is "a choice in an open market" then I'm a monkey's uncle. Not everything is a market transaction. When you have no money there is no market, only charity.

Edited by Dorkins

6 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

If rocking up to the council penniless and desperate for your kids not to sleep on the street and then having to take whatever they give you is "a choice in an open market" then I'm a monkey's uncle. Not everything is a market transaction. When you have no money there is no market, only charity.

Not for the longer term though. Choices.

3 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Not for the longer term though. Choices.

The whole point of enclosing the land was to take choices away from the peasants. Work for wages and pay rent to a landowner, or die. Not much of a choice.

4 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

The whole point of enclosing the land was to take choices away from the peasants. Work for wages and pay rent to a landowner, or die. Not much of a choice.

Ok yeah I agree with that, partially.

I was taking that as a given and then thinking in a more limited paradigm then you.

The other point of the enclosures was to avoid the tragedy of the commons.

7 hours ago, Spindler said:

walking down a station path i hadnt gone near for years here in south east ...i noticed the victorian bog had beed turned into 2 of the smallest dwellings imaginable....i mean it was a mens one side and a ladies the other it would have been small as one dwelling but TWO!

It was one of those brick and tile jobs that people had been peeing in for over a hundred years....stank to high heaven....it must have seeped into the very core of the building.....and they made 2 hobbit homes out of it !...Freaking unbelieveable

I hope you peed in the letterbox!

1 hour ago, Si1 said:

Loophole?

Converting office blocks comes under permitted development so no formal planning needed. Only building regs hence the tiny rooms maximum profit.

4 hours ago, Si1 said:

put kids up for adoption.

I don't even have kids and find this to be a bizarre suggestion

5 hours ago, Si1 said:

Really? So you know what other people want? Are you a communist?

I do know most people don't want to live in conditions on a par with a Thai prison plus pay £500 a month for the displeasure.

I dont agree with these office conversions.

However... thats not the real issue here.

We have a needs based non contrib welfare system that is open to the world. That is wrong. Millions of unskilled, benefit dependent foriegners have poured into the uk, disrupting and displacing the uks own low paid.

The uk benefit and migration needs fixing. Slumlords and scammsters are just a side effect.

1. No non citizen can claim benefits bar jsa.

2. All foreign workers must earn at least 30k and be empliyed by a paye company. No cash based business - takeaway, taxis, etc.

3. Housing benefits to be no more than 40% of median income.

4. Social housing to be awarded points scored on local connection and employment.

The real tragedy with greenfell is that the majority of residents were non nationals being housed in one of the worlds most expensive boroughs.

30 minutes ago, Brendan110_0 said:

I do know most people don't want to live in conditions on a par with a Thai prison plus pay £500 a month for the displeasure.

They arent paying 500, not with their hard earned.