Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
PeanutButter

Half of England is owned by less than 1% of the population

Recommended Posts

Assuming everyone knew this anyway but posting for discussion:

Half of England is owned by less than 1% of the population

 

Half of England is owned by less than 1% of its population, according to new data shared with the Guardian that seeks to penetrate the secrecy that has traditionally surrounded land ownership.

The findings, described as “astonishingly unequal”, suggest that about 25,000 landowners – typically members of the aristocracy and corporations – have control of half of the country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somewhat disingenuous considering an acre in the Hebrides will do me no good.

“The figures show that if the land were distributed evenly across the entire population, each person would have almost an acre – an area roughly the size of Parliament Square in central London.”

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as an an avid student of history and keen to peel back the curtain of society I have become massively anti monarchy.....the fact that people still wave their little flags as that mob roll by in cars paid for by us into palaces paid for by us astounds me !

Go to Windsor there is a little fountain tucked away next to the castle...proclaims " george V first Monarch of the House of Windsor.....yeah changed the name while waging war against his cousin the Keiser..(queen victoria grandson)..from Saxe-Coburg Gotha to Windsor ..how very very convenient...guess if he;s been up at Balmoral at the time that decision was made they would be the Balmorals...chancers and a mafia...get rid ! 

 

I'm deluding myself on the "get rid" though" with the cognitive dissonance in this country...the brexit vote may have happened....but they would win a monarchy vote by a landslide.....

Edited by Spindler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, rollover said:

The 1% have VI to keep house prices high.

Who are they?

and thereby happy to keep our children in debt to get a roof ..in debt to get an education.....and low salaries to try and service those.....more than enough to drag them out in their bed clothes in the middle of the night and let the mob do to them what they will.....the police and services come mainly from us not from them but are too dumb to understand like that met copper grinning inanely at his moment of fame as assange was dragged out of the embassy......for what skipping bail on a made up charge since been dropped and at that point no extradition request from the US

 

 

and the judge who called Assange a narcissist when all assange was "not guilty" twice....hardly narcissistic rant and rage....

Edited by Spindler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And if that was changed, we all got our acre? Even putting aside the question of some acres being more useful or appealing than others, then what? Most people aren't going to want to engage in subsistence farming (how much do you need for that anyway?) so most of it'll get sold on to a few people to leave them getting on with providing the food (or whatever other use you have in mind), and we'll be back to most of the land being owned by a small number of people, even if they're different people.

As an aside a mere acre per person illustrates how horribly overpopulated this country is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

And if that was changed, we all got our acre? Even putting aside the question of some acres being more useful or appealing than others, then what? Most people aren't going to want to engage in subsistence farming (how much do you need for that anyway?) so most of it'll get sold on to a few people to leave them getting on with providing the food (or whatever other use you have in mind), and we'll be back to most of the land being owned by a small number of people, even if they're different people.

As an aside a mere acre per person illustrates how horribly overpopulated this country is.

Land value tax on the economic worth or potential income of the land.  Improvements by government (EG transport) then go back to the government, not speculators who force locals out with higher rents.

Remove income, ni, vat taxes.  

Whatever you tax, there is less of.

Windows, chimneys, employment (ni, income), enterprise (vat) or hoarding of land (often unproductively for speculation)?

Window and chimney taxes changed British building design.

Lack of tax on land has fed speculation and unproductive hoarding,

Tax of services, labour and brains has reduced enterprise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Follow the money...when some hapless sap borrows £500000 for a one bedroom flat...where does that money finish up..? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Spindler said:

and the judge who called Assange a narcissist when all assange was "not guilty" twice....hardly narcissistic rant and rage....

I heard about it second hand so I might have been ill-informed, but I thought the narcissist comment was due to him refusing to reply to other questions, to offer any defence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Kosmin said:

I heard about it second hand so I might have been ill-informed, but I thought the narcissist comment was due to him refusing to reply to other questions, to offer any defence.

a narcissist would never make the sacrifice Assange has made.......i read an interesting article about Jesus(i'm not a bible basher) and Jesus was a thorn in both the religious elite's sides and the ruling power's side.....exposing their hypocracy.....Assange has tried to do the same if only on TPTB side.....if i had skipped bail on a charge that had been dropped i'd be let out the same day..he only took asylum because he feared deportation mainly to the US once the Brits or the Swedes had him.....its interesting to note that the TPTB want this man for revealing that which they did not want revealed....add to that HRC little dance at news of his capture..because he exposed her fixing the primaries .....where is the church in all of this  you may ask ?

 

Yes where...what exactly is the point of organised religion when it doesnt take a stand..or stand for anything ?

.just imagine if the church came in on the side of Assange...or others like him TPTB would **** themselves....but they are too busy runnig their age old scam.....when they arent covering up their own scandals....thats why they are becoming so irrelevant

 

the best thing Henry 8th (for all the wrong reasons) did was dissolving the monastries...all their selling of bones of saints and forgiveness of sin.....not to mention the huge wwealth they had....after the diissolution Henry 8 was the largest landlowner in London...that shows how much wealth they had taken for themselves..

Edited by Spindler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/04/2019 at 07:19, PeanutButter said:

Assuming everyone knew this anyway but posting for discussion:

Half of England is owned by less than 1% of the population

 

Half of England is owned by less than 1% of its population, according to new data shared with the Guardian that seeks to penetrate the secrecy that has traditionally surrounded land ownership.

The findings, described as “astonishingly unequal”, suggest that about 25,000 landowners – typically members of the aristocracy and corporations – have control of half of the country.

you sure?

 

because most of England is farmland, and most of this is operated by few people with machinery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Some estates do need looking at, and should have retrospective multi-generational inheritance tax back dated.

I like this idea a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/04/2019 at 16:53, No One said:

you sure?

 

because most of England is farmland, and most of this is operated by few people with machinery

That's the crux of it. It's quite possible that those farmers are tenant farmers of big landlords but even if they weren't you'd still have a large percentage of land owned by a small percentage of the population. Most of us simply have no use for much land.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/04/2019 at 18:59, Riedquat said:

That's the crux of it. It's quite possible that those farmers are tenant farmers of big landlords but even if they weren't you'd still have a large percentage of land owned by a small percentage of the population. Most of us simply have no use for much land.

Yup, just for living in it. 

 

I remember that I read that only 10% of the land has stuff built on, including roads and factories

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/04/2019 at 07:26, Spindler said:

as an an avid student of history and keen to peel back the curtain of society I have become massively anti monarchy.....the fact that people still wave their little flags as that mob roll by in cars paid for by us into palaces paid for by us astounds me !

Go to Windsor there is a little fountain tucked away next to the castle...proclaims " george V first Monarch of the House of Windsor.....yeah changed the name while waging war against his cousin the Keiser..(queen victoria grandson)..from Saxe-Coburg Gotha to Windsor ..how very very convenient...guess if he;s been up at Balmoral at the time that decision was made they would be the Balmorals...chancers and a mafia...get rid ! 

 

I'm deluding myself on the "get rid" though" with the cognitive dissonance in this country...the brexit vote may have happened....but they would win a monarchy vote by a landslide.....

Maybe my algorithm isn't working but i can't find a decent answer soperhaps you might help

How much money is stashed away in The Crown Dependencies and Overseas Territories (Protected by the Crown)? As a proportion of the entire worlds wealth?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, No One said:

Yup, just for living in it. 

 

I remember that I read that only 10% of the land has stuff built on, including roads and factories

The number gets thrown around with significant differences depending upon how much of an agenda is being considered, but 10% is a hell of a lot. I'm always left shaking my head in despair whenever someone says "only" 10%. Try looking at a screen where "only" 10% of the pixels don't work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Riedquat said:

The number gets thrown around with significant differences depending upon how much of an agenda is being considered, but 10% is a hell of a lot. I'm always left shaking my head in despair whenever someone says "only" 10%. Try looking at a screen where "only" 10% of the pixels don't work.

So the homes, gardens, parks, schools etc where people are living their lives and trying to make the most of their limited time on earth are dead pixels?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Riedquat said:

 I'm always left shaking my head in despair whenever someone says "only" 10%.

I suspect if you asked most people to estimate what percentage of the country is built on they would reply a much higher number, and then be surprised if you told them the real number and they might respond "its only 10%?" in surprise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dorkins said:

So the homes, gardens, parks, schools etc where people are living their lives and trying to make the most of their limited time on earth are dead pixels?

In terms of demonstrating how noticable such a "small" number can be. As I'm sure you realised. Trying to be clever by treating analogies as exact comparisons and having a go at them because the irrelevant points aren't isn't clever.

Edited by Riedquat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nightowl said:

I suspect if you asked most people to estimate what percentage of the country is built on they would reply a much higher number, and then be surprised if you told them the real number and they might respond "its only 10%?" in surprise. 

Which, if it is 10% (as I say different numbers get flung around all the time) illustrates that that number is actually a lot. What level of development starts getting unpleasant isn't something that you can determine objectively, you need to ask people if it is or isn't then compare that against the numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Riedquat said:

Which, if it is 10% (as I say different numbers get flung around all the time) illustrates that that number is actually a lot. What level of development starts getting unpleasant isn't something that you can determine objectively, you need to ask people if it is or isn't then compare that against the numbers.

By historical and international standards it is high. Most people live in man made built up areas, travel to another built-up areas (either for the job or visiting friends etc) along man made roads so gain the impression everything is built on.  

Some people like the benefits of urbanisation and denser living other dont enough to warrant the problems.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 292 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.