House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Notre-Dame

It seems possible that if the spire, added in the late 19th century hadn't fallen and broken through the stone vault inner roof there may have been little internal damage. The 12th century architects knew there stuff and the stone vault held firm and protected the interior from the falling outer roof timbers, but they hadn't reckoned on someone adding a spire hundreds of years later. 

Great job by the Paris fire service in saving the main structure.

1 hour ago, Bruce Banner said:

It seems possible that if the spire, added in the late 19th century hadn't fallen and broken through the stone vault inner roof there may have been little internal damage. The 12th century architects knew there stuff and the stone vault held firm and protected the interior from the falling outer roof timbers, but they hadn't reckoned on someone adding a spire hundreds of years later. 

Great job by the Paris fire service in saving the main structure.

i am sure they knew that when the fire was started.  

got to get that 500m euro in to do a proper job on the building somewhere 😉

I give it two weeks before Miles Shipside blames Notre Dame for falling house prices.

An historical building such as this cathedral must be restored; but why the Roman Catholic church with its trillions needs to get the begging bowl out is beyond me..._

Read somewhere that it's not actually owned by the Catholic church, the French state grabbed ownership of all its buildings in the early 20th century. I'd still expect them to give a significant contribution though.

54 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Read somewhere that it's not actually owned by the Catholic church, the French state grabbed ownership of all its buildings in the early 20th century. I'd still expect them to give a significant contribution though.

That's pretty much a certainty, Macron wouldn't have promised to rebuild if it didn't belong to the French state.

Apparently, The Vatican has offered access to it's museum and library records for information to aid restoration :rolleyes:.

35 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

I wonder the response if St Paul's burned down. Cue 10 years of arguing and inertia? 

They got on with York Minster, although the fire there wasn't as serious.

6 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

They got on with York Minster, although the fire there wasn't as serious.

And 35 years ago with a completely different set of politicians in charge

Interestingly UBISOFT  released the scans they did for Assassin's Creed Unity - essentially these are the most detailed images of Notre-Dame available. I was slightly miffed as I missed the free download for the game.