House Price Crash Forum

Waking up to Leasehold

HOLA441

Interesting article in Home in the Sunday Times this weekend....re LEASEHOLD....as a person who spits at the word leasehold it made for shocking reading even for me !

This is must read, i could feel the stress coming through from these poor blighters. I feel Leasehold is beginning to dawn on the collective sheeple as what it is....buying the right to live somewhere but not actually buying anything at all. This isn't just about the high profile recent cases of the vermin housebuilders going lower than even than have ever done(with HTB as a gift in their other hand) these are nightmare stories of the brutal reality of what leasehold is and the crazy money paid for it for in effect the right to live somewhere and the right of the managing agent or freeholder(or both) to drain you for every last drop and make your life a misery...and the law is toothless and they know it.

And the threat to disown you of the property if you don;t pay.....

Why would any person with half a brain ..ever ..ever consider a freehold...it's been the lie hidden in plain sight for so long...

HOLA442
Just now, Spindler said:

Interesting article in Home in the Sunday Times this weekend....re LEASEHOLD....as a person who spits at the word leasehold it made for shocking reading even for me !

This is must read, i could feel the stress coming through from these poor blighters. I feel Leasehold is beginning to dawn on the collective sheeple as what it is....buying the right to live somewhere but not actually buying anything at all. This isn't just about the high profile recent cases of the vermin housebuilders going lower than even than have ever done(with HTB as a gift in their other hand) these are nightmare stories of the brutal reality of what leasehold is and the crazy money paid for it for in effect the right to live somewhere and the right of the managing agent or freeholder(or both) to drain you for every last drop and make your life a misery...and the law is toothless and they know it.

And the threat to disown you of the property if you don;t pay.....

Why would any person with half a brain ..ever ..ever consider a freehold...it's been the lie hidden in plain sight for so long...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/home/leasehold-why-every-homeowner-should-be-worried-pqc8cqj3k

HOLA443
Just now, Spindler said:

and the first clue why it's been hidden in plain view for so long is amply demonstrated here in the article straight off the bat:

YOU ARE NOT A HOMEOWNER IF YOU HAVE A LEASEHOLD YOU ARE A ..............LEASEHOLDER !

"

Leasehold: why every homeowner should be worried

HOLA444
8 minutes ago, Spindler said:

and the first clue why it's been hidden in plain view for so long is amply demonstrated here in the article straight off the bat:

YOU ARE NOT A HOMEOWNER IF YOU HAVE A LEASEHOLD YOU ARE A ..............LEASEHOLDER !

"

Leasehold: why every homeowner should be worried

And I'll correct myself:

"And the threat to disown you of the property if you don;t pay..... " Disposess" fixed it...not disown...(words are important but often used in wrong context)

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
7 minutes ago, Si1 said:

So is stupidity an excuse or not?

HAHAHAHA HAHA F#CKWITS

I have more sympathy but you are correct....these are the same people who would have had a coronary talking to me in a pub about why leasehold is a very very very very very bad idea !

And then they would have gone out and signed up to one anyway ....by the fact its mainstream that is enough for them to think it's all good....obviously it isnt'......even the benign leaseholds are a pain in the **** i have heard converstions on the train about paying to extend their lease...legal fees etc etc....what a crock of ***** and then as per the article you get the onerous ones from hell that can actually kill you from the stress !

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
4 minutes ago, longgone said:

999 year leasehold is not too bad. 

just the service charge to worry about. 

and that can be as benign as they come or a journey into hell...why take the risk....?

the larger the number of leasehold units the reason to avoid gets greater.....roof and lift maintenance are not cheap......i bet there are leaseholders in Grenfell type of blocks who are having their entrails removed financially speaking...have already heard of major bills landing.....and the council tenants in the same block just smirk at you in the hallways.....don't pay they'll take it away...

HOLA4414
1 hour ago, Monkey said:

Is leasehold a UK thing or is it avaliable in other countries? 

It is very much having your cake and eating it from a developera point of view.

It may exist in some other countries but I am pretty sure that in Spanish speaking countries it does not exist, nor France.

HOLA4415
1 hour ago, Spindler said:

and that can be as benign as they come or a journey into hell...why take the risk....?

the larger the number of leasehold units the reason to avoid gets greater.....roof and lift maintenance are not cheap......i bet there are leaseholders in Grenfell type of blocks who are having their entrails removed financially speaking...have already heard of major bills landing.....and the council tenants in the same block just smirk at you in the hallways.....don't pay they'll take it away...

well seeing as most units are flats being built unless a change in law what can you do ?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
1 hour ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

but they immediately make the same mistake...by saying homeowners......leasehold is not home ownership ! I know my fellow britons have trouble learning any foreign tongue as a rule but we really should start understanding our own a bit better....Leasehold is just that a lease....nowhere does this indicate ownership......to add to the crazy... people pay hundreds of thousands for a leasehold and a freeholder can snap up your freehold for a fraction and hold you to ransom......

Leasehold is not buying anything...the clue is in the name Lease  ....Hold

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

"It’s disproportionately affecting people in their fifties, sixties, seventies, who have lived in their homes for years, paid off their mortgages"

Paid off their mortgages on what ? A long term rental that's what...and with a rental you have no maintenance to worry about and can move easily somewhere else.....they'll always want your rent money those LL's...

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

i know these leaseholders were stupid because they didnt think fr themselves......but what is going on here is Evil...and the establishment is evil they don't care about the plebs....i'm  just glad i woke up and never got my brains blown out fighting for good old blighty in the wars they start usually trying to rob someone else overseas......

HOLA4424
2 hours ago, Spindler said:

its prob lost more than half...thats a guesstimate....i mean after this publicity i wouldnt take it on for free !

The phrasing made me laugh. How can something be worth half its value? 

The entitlement is utterly entrenched.

HOLA4425