House Price Crash Forum

Astonishing VI article in the local rag

HOLA441

The beauty queen who's buying her own home at the age of 19
'We make sacrifices but we know it’ll be worth it in the long term'

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/property/beauty-queen-whos-buying-home-2748645

W T A F?
I've seen shocking VI pieces in the local rag but this one left me truly astounded.
A story about a young woman (incidentally a beauty pageant type) who's erm...bought a house...and that's basically it. And that's she looking into going in property development too...just like her mum and dad!

Some choice excerpts:

"...Now, Charlotte and her long-term boyfriend, Jack Veitch, are about to embark on a joint career as property developers. They are following in the footsteps of Charlotte's parents, who have been property developers since she was a child."

"...It would be a remarkable achievement given that a 2017 report by UK Finance showed the average age of first time buyers was 30 years old.
But the pair have had to make sacrifices in order to buy their first home together."

"...My boyfriend works as a tree surgeon full time, but he also works during the evenings delivering takeaways part time.Charlotte said that when Jack is doing his takeaway job, she goes along with him and helps deliver customers' orders."

"She said: "We love this job as this has helped so much in gathering our deposit together, as we have only been saving since last November, but we can do this job together so it’s never really felt like a job."

“Because we make sacrifices and work the majority of our weekends, it can sometimes feel like all we do is work, but we know it’ll be worth it in the long term."

"We really don’t care how bad the house is when we first buy it, as we’ll just put our bed and TV in the one room as that’s all we need!

"So even once we’ve bought the house, our sacrificing won’t stop."

"For other young people wanting to follow in her footsteps, Charlotte has some advice.....Get a deposit together first. No matter your age, start saving earlier than you’re ready to buy a house, because I really think that’s the hardest part."

I could quote the whole article in fact! It's VI propaganda with steroids!!!!

Also a veritable hit list of VI topics:

• Become a developer (like mum and dad) - check
  • FOMO - check
  • Flip/renovate dilapidated old wreck and make mad gainz - check
  • Working extra jobs/making sacrifices - check
  • Self renovate to save money - check

Thankfully the people writing the comments see through it.

HOLA442
HOLA443
2 minutes ago, juvenal said:

Some choice advice here - 'Get a deposit together first...'

Now I know where I went wrong..

You better start now before you miss out on an opportunity to buy a shell of a house worth £150k!

And no more luxuries...ever! Nothing but beans, toast and water...and don't even think about stepping into a Starbucks!

Joking aside though...articles like this must be the final sign of pure desperation? The last throw of the dice before they admit the games up..and start admitting the house market is dead?

HOLA444

bit pessimistic i know aside from the fact i have no interest in a couple of debt junkies with little of their own experience in property ....but couples split up especially young ones.....just had one of the few long term marrieds now selling up their business and homes because shes been banging another guy...women are imensely fickle creatures and their heads are easily turned by a new pair of trousers especialy at that age....so all that guff goes straight out the window.....if they get stuck i negative equity that really is like being in a 3 legged race with someone you dont want to be with...and tree surgeon and pizza delivery is not high on a womans hypergamy radar !

HOLA445

The boyfriend must be one shite tree surgeon if he makes extra money in the evenings delivering takeaways... any half decent tree surgeon could make more in a couple of hours than what he'd be making working a whole week of evenings delivering takeaways.

HOLA446

Im ore surprised theyve managed to find a couple of Brits anywhere near Lleicester....

Lets read that articel again .... treat it as a standard pick of Easter 'Woohoo, go property buying!! filla'

One, shes 19 and has a longterm boyfriend. Yeah right. Lets see if you ever graduate and you go to dinner parties and the boyfriend delvers the dinner ...

Two, theyve not bought a place. This is insane. The best poof piece they can do is getting a 19yo to talk about buying a house for 100k with a 10k do it up budget.

Three, shes nowhere near earning money. Its sucker boyfriend supporting her. She was going to this, then shes doing this instead.

Three, they wont have a standard mortgage, not for doing up a place.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Chatting with a couple of pals today one is banging on about Brexit tells me people didn’t understand what they were voting for so we need another vote and that people voted Brexit because they read something on a bus. 

Then said out of nowhere “houses prices are just SUBDUED at the moment” 

HOLA449
HOLA4410
4 hours ago, highcontrast said:

“Because we make sacrifices and work the majority of our weekends, it can sometimes feel like all we do is work, but we know it’ll be worth it in the long term."

If they end up in negative equity they will have nothing to show for their efforts and will have learnt no employable skills / experience.

A bit like being a beauty queen who never won but never did any squats either.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
30 minutes ago, bushblairandbrown said:

Jack is doing his takeaway job, she goes along with him and helps deliver customers' orders

Pmsl. Say what he's got to be earning about min wage doing deliveries. She goes with him so together they are earning about £3.50/hr each. Really smart use of time. So shrewd and ambitious. 

#makingsacrifices

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
2 hours ago, bushblairandbrown said:

Jack is doing his takeaway job, she goes along with him and helps deliver customers' orders

Pmsl. Say what he's got to be earning about min wage doing deliveries. She goes with him so together they are earning about £3.50/hr each. Really smart use of time. So shrewd and ambitious. 

I've got a suspicion that the reason they do the takeaway shift together is because they are at it like rabbits in the back seat when there's a spare half hour. Teenagers, hormones. Legit behaviour in my book. But not a form of sacrifice.

HOLA4419
6 hours ago, bushblairandbrown said:

Minimum wage at 19 is £6.15 an hour and that's after a hard shift doing (apprentice probably) tree surgery. Maybe having a beauty queen in tow is good for tips.

HOLA4420

We only see here one side of the story. This is the story of the hapless buyer...here happily making remarkable sacrifices,  living in poverty, squalor and with no clear way out of this trap. The debt will be crushing and lifetime of hard work is ahead to service that debt.

The other side of the story is that of the vendor. Very often collecting considerable unearned and untaxed gain. I would quite like to hear about their plans for how they will enjoy the money the hapless buyer is to hand them. Where will the holiday,  which cruises will they take? What about the fine restaurants and trips to the theatre? Do they ever think about the poor saps paying for their lifestyle?

One class of people work and produce...one class consumes. This is the story here, know your place and accept it.

HOLA4421

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/first-time-buyers-reveal-how-14350963.amp

The VI agenda in the press continues!

The links within that article to similar articles is an eye opener too.

Seriously though, who's paying for these articles to appear? The big HTB builders? The government? The paper owners themselves?

P.s. notice how it's always young first time buyers they feature and/or HTB.

Edited by highcontrast
Because the media told me to

HOLA4422
2 hours ago, highcontrast said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/first-time-buyers-reveal-how-14350963.amp

The VI agenda in the press continues!

The links within that article to similar articles is an eye opener too.

Seriously though, who's paying for these articles to appear? The big HTB builders? The government? The paper owners themselves?

P.s. notice how it's always young first time buyers they feature and/or HTB.

Its Easter.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
15 hours ago, GeneCernan said:

Government sponsored propaganda peddled as news. Tragic. 

Nope.

Its EA sponsored drivel.

UK media still has a muscle memory about EA spending loads of money of ads around Easter.

Of course, solvent EAs will be a memory soon, assuming that the no listed EAs have similar revenue and profit as Foxton n CW.

Ditto for local papers.

Of course the comedy is that Easter was the time houses used to be lissted to get the places sold and moved int before the new school year starts.

Now most school age families are in rentals...

HOLA4425
On 14/04/2019 at 17:01, Diver Dan said:
On 14/04/2019 at 10:43, bushblairandbrown said:

Minimum wage at 19 is £6.15 an hour and that's after a hard shift doing (apprentice probably) tree surgery. Maybe having a beauty queen in tow is good for tips.

I would say you are vastly underestimating the hourly rate for delivering takeaways.

These are not employed job generally, only a few peak hours per day.

Paid in cash plus tips only needing a couple of orders an hour that say "keep the change" and that will beat the NMW rate.

Edited by HowMuch!