House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crazypabs

Brexit stockpiles expiry dates?

Assuming that companies have stockpiled perishable items with a shelf life use by date of pre Oct 31, do you think a lot of products are now going to have to be trashed as the fomo hyperselling isn't going to materialise?

I made the prediction in another thread a few months ago that I would expect GDP to have a small boost for Q1 as both companies and individuals brought forward spending with stockpiling for Brexit. Low and behold channel 4 last night had some 'experts' on who had been confounded  by what I had thought to be common sense. Likewise I now expect the same companies and individuals to start whittling down their stockpiles which will have the reverse effect for Q2.

yea. expect a nice firesale of tat. Also car sales are collapsing (across europe). all in all very much deflationary. 

yesterday Mario Draghi hinted he may bring in negative interest rates on euros. 

1 hour ago, crazypabs said:

Assuming that companies have stockpiled perishable items with a shelf life use by date of pre Oct 31, do you think a lot of products are now going to have to be trashed as the fomo hyperselling isn't going to materialise?

No.  They will be used over the next few months, as (presumably) intended.  The stockpile was only to ensure continuity of supply.

If I buy an extra pint of milk on Christmas Eve because I think Tesco is going to be shut on Boxing Day, then it turns out Tesco is actually open on Boxing Day, I don't pour away the extra pint, I just drink it on Boxing Day as I always intended to.

1 hour ago, Council estate capitalist said:

I don't think much will be wasted, They just won't order any more between now and October (or when the stockpile runs out).

Exactly. 

2 hours ago, crazypabs said:

As others have pointed out, the stockpile won't be a problem. The cost of extra storage space and the prospect of further stockpiling (we still have the possibility of leaving in May or October, or perhaps at short notice in between, or further extensions in October and the possibility of leaving still hanging over us after that) will continue to be a costly headache though.

On 11/04/2019 at 12:07, hayder said:

yea. expect a nice firesale of tat. Also car sales are collapsing (across europe). all in all very much deflationary. 

yesterday Mario Draghi hinted he may bring in negative interest rates on euros. 

Interesting, yet in the wider economy ie outside Europe things are looking inflationary. We want that, we want higher interest rates, for house prices to go down here. Can the EU really keep rates low while the rest of the world is going up? Will inflation really be that low in the EU?

22 hours ago, Kosmin said:

As others have pointed out, the stockpile won't be a problem. The cost of extra storage space and the prospect of further stockpiling (we still have the possibility of leaving in May or October, or perhaps at short notice in between, or further extensions in October and the possibility of leaving still hanging over us after that) will continue to be a costly headache though.

They don't need to stockpile anymore since 'no deal' was taken off the table and now all 'no deal' preparation work has been ceased by the UK government. There will be no deal, and no need to stockpile, it was a daft idea anyway and totally unnecessary in the first place even if no deal had happened. 

46 minutes ago, bear.getting.old said:

They don't need to stockpile anymore since 'no deal' was taken off the table

I thought all that had happened was that parliament indicated it wanted to avoid this. It's still the default option.