House Price Crash Forum

10 hours ago, GregBowman said:

You are encouraged as long as you are hitting targets to have businesses or hustles on the side up. Tax is low even into taking account his healthcare contribution.

My understanding is that if you are prepared to work the rewards are worth it, if you are not then you suffer the consequences. His hours seem broadly similar to his UK job about 8-6 every day no weekends. 

Frankly as someone who has ran his own business for nearly thirty years - seems ok to me

If you've ever watched Undercover Boss US version the employees always stress how GRATEFUL they are to have the job and how they THANK GAWD for it. Then they mention the other 2 jobs they need to work to 'make rent'. But it's all worth it because #AmericanDream. ;) 

I'm sure that for well educated people who get a good start and keep up the momentum it's fine but I'm sceptical of the sink or swim/individualist mindset.

Here's a US/UK tax comparison (from before Trump changed the system) https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/may/27/tax-britons-pay-europe-australia-us - quite interesting. 

2 hours ago, royalmike said:

Ten days for which not paid, plus working 55 plus hours a week and no sick pay, Canada 

Ouch!

8 hours ago, Clint Justice said:

I use all of my vacation even though some of my direct reports choose not to. I encourage them to do so but there seems to be an aversion to it. 

Are they worried about the perception that they're not hard workers, or that their jobs are precarious? 

Japan also has a huge problem of workers refusing to take holiday. Japan is poised to force workers to take at least five days of paid vacation a year, a compromise between employers' groups calling for three and labor unions that wanted eight.  

Edited by PeanutButter

6 minutes ago, longgone said:

This thread sounds like slave labour by the minute.  

It makes the UK look not too bad.  Of course the UK was a great place to live until Blair and Brown put the accelerator down to make houses more expensive.  They even (pathfinder) spent money to make cheap houses in Liverpool more expensive.

1 hour ago, iamnumerate said:

It makes the UK look not too bad.  Of course the UK was a great place to live until Blair and Brown put the accelerator down to make houses more expensive.  They even (pathfinder) spent money to make cheap houses in Liverpool more expensive.

james-newton-falling-down.jpg

On 10/04/2019 at 13:22, thewig said:

I know a lot of people who also count sick days into their AL “allowance” that sort of brazen mindset kind of blows my mind but the flip side is these guys are automatically putting a ceiling on their own (otherwise infinite) potential by tinkering with such trivialities

I know a chap who takes the week of Cheltenham off every year using his sick leave "allowance".

4 minutes ago, NuBrit said:

I know a chap who takes the week of Cheltenham off every year using his sick leave "allowance".

i like guys like that 😄

On 10/04/2019 at 18:52, winkie said:

What about sickness.......how long to get full pay, how long part pay.......what about an unpaid career break, (to travel the world or reason of choice) how long can you get to come back on same terms and conditions?.....;)

Edit to say: There are quite a number who do not take their holiday entitlement, come to the end of the qualifying year to find they still have two or three weeks they are required to take.....they love their work that much, use it or lose it.

For Long-Term Sickness: 6 months full pay, 6 months half pay.  Not sure about "regular" Sick Days.

But again, It's in Local Government so not a real job anyway...

Edited by mspL4

6 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

If you've ever watched Undercover Boss US version the employees always stress how GRATEFUL they are to have the job and how they THANK GAWD for it. Then they mention the other 2 jobs they need to work to 'make rent'. But it's all worth it because #AmericanDream. ;) 

For most people their job is their source of health care.  If you lose your job, you lose your healthcare, and then - quite frankly - if you fall ill, you die.  No wonder people cling onto their job literally for dear life.

An extra 3-4 weeks holiday per year over your working lifetime adds up to over TWO YEARS more holiday than Americans would get.  Bearing in mind that time is the most precious thing any of us have it just doesn't make sense to spend a moment of it working that you don't have to, unless you literally like your job more than any possible hobby or leisure activity, let alone two years.

Nothing I've ever seen or read would make me want to live and work in America.   

Just now, mspL4 said:

For Long-Term Sickness: 6 months full pay, 6 months half pay.  Not sure about "regular" Sick Days.

Interesting......once back at work after long-term stress/sickness.....how long before can be sick again, for how long?;)

4 hours ago, mspL4 said:

How many jobs are real jobs? I’d estimate less than one percent of one percent when you start to really strip it back

I certainly include every job I’ve ever done into those figures 

I get 217 hours a year which equates to 29 days in my public sector role. Excludes Bank Holidays. 

19 hours ago, thewig said:

How many jobs are real jobs? I’d estimate less than one percent of one percent when you start to really strip it back

Erm, so of Britain's 33 million or so workers less than 33m x 1% x 1% = 3,300 are doing 'real jobs'?

What on Earth would you consider a 'real job' then?

There are about 150,000 doctors and 180,000 nurses working in the UK for starters, before you even count people involved in providing food, water, electricity and all the other things that physically keep us alive...!

I get 20 days. 

I work 4-on 4-off, so only work 182 days per year to begin with. Knock off my 20 days holiday and I work just 162 days per year. 

Bank holidays are a moot point in my working life. 

On 11/04/2019 at 22:16, Clint Justice said:

I work about 40-45 hours per week with no weekends.

No weekends? I’m out. Or do you mean you don’t work on a weekend unlike your colleagues/other Americans?

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 07:06, PeanutButter said:

I'm sure that for well educated people who get a good start and keep up the momentum it's fine but I'm sceptical of the sink or swim/individualist mindset.

Here's a US/UK tax comparison (from before Trump changed the system) https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/may/27/tax-britons-pay-europe-australia-us - quite interesting. 

Ouch!

Are they worried about the perception that they're not hard workers, or that their jobs are precarious? 

Japan also has a huge problem of workers refusing to take holiday. Japan is poised to force workers to take at least five days of paid vacation a year, a compromise between employers' groups calling for three and labor unions that wanted eight.  

I think you will find its the same in Amazon or a zero hour contract in the UK. Under Cover boss programmes don't generally deal with high performing teams where the rewards are six figure plus other  IT, Creative or sales teams. 

The only people normally sceptical of a the sink or swim concept are weak swimmers (not saying you) in general the US system rewards self starters - my observation is people who start and sustain their own business in the UK would of done at least as well if not better in the UK -time server, lazy etc not so  well (healthcare can be covered in both countries). I think the US scores in the rewards of success either in corporates or your own business - we score in our ability to reinvent ourselves  with  the safety net of healthcare provision. On balance as a very old saying goes the UK is great if you have money (I would say the best of all worlds) trouble is getting harder for some people.

On 12/04/2019 at 09:08, PeanutButter said:

Recommended viewing from the great Kurosawa - Ikiru https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-ikiru-1952

About a man who works his whole life at a meaningless job. 

Well if HPC wasn't depressing enough, that film would finish me off... (Our local film club showed "shoplifters" last week. I lasted for an hour)

Feeling very jealous of some in this thread. 

Work in a UK private company. 25 days + bank hols. Non-flexible hours. Can't carry unused days over. Can't buy/sell holiday days.

Work in the private sector, financial services. Get 30 days + buy 5 + bank holidays. 35 hour working week, work from home 1-3 days a week.

I've been looking to leave for a while now just to do something different and a new challenge but I'm struggling to find another company which comes anywhere close to these benefits. Shouldn't complain really but it is a bit depressing. Either stay at this company forever or move elsewhere and take a hit on the work life balance.

7 hours ago, JawKnee said:

Work in the private sector, financial services. Get 30 days + buy 5 + bank holidays. 35 hour working week, work from home 1-3 days a week.

I've been looking to leave for a while now just to do something different and a new challenge but I'm struggling to find another company which comes anywhere close to these benefits. Shouldn't complain really but it is a bit depressing. Either stay at this company forever or move elsewhere and take a hit on the work life balance.

Try to manoeuvre yourself into getting them them to pay for training in hot business or IT skills, wait a respectful but short time, then leave.  If an employer really wants you on board that's a great time to negotiate terms.

From experience replicating your current terms won't be hard on the face of it, BUT ensure that they are REALLY structured for 35 hr week.  Most places don't employ enough people or allow enough contingency operationally or in projects to allow this. Get them to look you in the eye & say 35hr week is OK. Preferably ask to speak to 1 or 2 people on the ground out of earshot of recruiting manager.  Not easy but saved me from a dull job at BAe back in the day.

Edited by hotblack42
Grammar

20 hours ago, scottbeard said:

Erm, so of Britain's 33 million or so workers less than 33m x 1% x 1% = 3,300 are doing 'real jobs'?

What on Earth would you consider a 'real job' then?

There are about 150,000 doctors and 180,000 nurses working in the UK for starters, before you even count people involved in providing food, water, electricity and all the other things that physically keep us alive...!

The vast majority of doctors and nurses are wasting their time dealing with fat lazy peoples self inflicted “dis-ease” or side effects of the cocktail of unnecessary pills people are chomping down daily to support big pharma.

my opinion based on my real world experience having “worked” in “healthcare” and spoken to hundreds if not thousands of healthcare professionals over the past decade or so

I get 33 days + 8 days for Bank Hols, when I see other jobs advertised with only 25 days holiday, I have to ask myself 'Does this job look good enough that I'd give up 8 days of holiday?' The answer so far is always No.

4 hours ago, hotblack42 said:

Try to manoeuvre yourself into getting them them to pay for training in hot business or IT skills, wait a respectful but short time, then leave.  If an employer really wants you on board that's a great time to negotiate terms.

From experience replicating your current terms won't be hard on the face of it, BUT ensure that they are REALLY structured for 35 hr week.  Most places don't employ enough people or allow enough contingency operationally or in projects to allow this. Get them to look you in the eye & say 35hr week is OK. Preferably ask to speak to 1 or 2 people on the ground out of earshot of recruiting manager.  Not easy but saved me from a dull job at BAe back in the day.

Thanks! Good ideas. I tend to use Glassdoor for anonymous company reviews to see what life is like on the inside but have found it a bit hit or miss.

Glassdoor can be enlightening but you have to look for consistent repeatable comments from multiple people to spot something, otherwise it might be just someone having a grump about a bad day at the office or a personal gripe about their boss.

My annual leave is now 29 + bank holidays:     20~25*   +   4 between xmas and newyear       (*increasing 1 day per year service upto 5)