House Price Crash Forum

Works out at just over 27, some of which have to be taken at Christmas, although there's an extra one thrown in at Christmas on top of that which doesn't count towards the annual leave (never figured out the logic there!)

Public holidays are on top of that, and we can buy another week's worth, which I always do.

Start on 26, up to 28 after 5 years then up to 29 after 7 years then up to 30 after 10 years. Not including bank holidays etc. 

You can also buy additional days leave through salary sacrifice but it always seems too expensive!

26 is normal, but obviously you also get all the Bank Holidays. Many companies also allow people to buy extra days of leave as well up to a certain number. 30+ days of leave is entirely possible.

Oh yes, I forgot that many companies also give their staff New Years Eve and any odd days around Christmas as leave as well (depending on where they fall in the week).

Edited by Errol

If we hit targets they give us days between Xmas and NY off but it's never guaranteed. Asking around it seems some top bods get 40 basic (which is ignored and they generally take all of Dec/July/Aug + all school holidays), but no one can buy/sell their leave. 

Edited by PeanutButter

I must be in the wrong industry as every new job I go for seems to be offering less and less. The last one was pushing for 20 but I negotiated more, thankfully.

33 including bank holidays.  We have to take some days at Christmas.

That leaves us with just 22 days to take when we want.

When I was university staff, towards the end, the guideline amount of leave was 30 days plus bank hols, plus extra days at Christmas and three extra days at Easter.  That was more like it.

Used to be in the thirty day club. Think that was probably back when I was working for the railways with all their old br hangover t&cs, now I’m back on the stock 25 or whatever but I manage my own diary and can “work” from home when I need to.

Also spend ~75% of my days when I’m “working” in the field by getting paid for driving around the west country listening to Neville Goddard and the like. 

I know a lot of people who also count sick days into their AL “allowance” that sort of brazen mindset kind of blows my mind but the flip side is these guys are automatically putting a ceiling on their own (otherwise infinite) potential by tinkering with such trivialities

fair play to em no skin off my nose

25 Basic + 8 Bank Holidays + Additional buy of upto 5 days+  Holiday of 1 after every 4 years worked in the company = currently 38 for me

Edited by warrior88
error

This year I have 35 days after 7 years service.  Not including Bank Holidays etc.

It's in Local Government so not a real job anyway...

We get unlimited holidays but have to take 25 plus bank holidays. In reality most people end up taking between 30 and 35 plus bank holidays and the office is very productive. More so than the 25 day offices i have worked in.

Just now, Pebbles said:

We get unlimited holidays but have to take 25 plus bank holidays. In reality most people end up taking between 30 and 35 plus bank holidays and the office is very productive. More so than the 25 day offices i have worked in.

UNLIMITED HOLIDAYS?

OK, now I'm envious. 

9 minutes ago, mspL4 said:

This year I have 35 days after 7 years service.  Not including Bank Holidays etc.

It's in Local Government so not a real job anyway...

At least you admit it... I have 25 days

Just now, PeanutButter said:

UNLIMITED HOLIDAYS?

OK, now I'm envious. 

well within reason. nobody takes the mickey and everyone is trustworthy enough to be productive.

When I last worked for someone else I got 38 minus bank holidays. As my own boss I try and match the OHs leave roughly but probably end up taking a week less. OH gets fantastic holidays, usually ends up losing some. I think it's around 36 days plus English and Irish bank holidays. Probably 46/47 days. 

58 minutes ago, Freezer? Best place for it said:

My last job 30 + BH’s.  Usually too stupid (and busy) to take them.  Not allowed to “carry over” - but always did.

A few years back my place started to get stroppy about people carrying leave over and tried to stop it other than in whatever they decided were exceptional circumstances. And then, surprise surprise, found they had problems with there being hardly anyone in in the last week or two of the holiday year, so that daft policy has been dropped. Most people seem to like to keep a few days in hand just in case anything crops up,

From experience, not taking leave was a very good indicator of someone taking backhanders. That, with a slimey aversion to graft, were two opposites that didn’t sit well.

Best deal I had was when I went from full time to doing a job share, working 1 week on 1 week off... but my employer didn't reduce my AL allowance accordingly and still gave me my full, full time allocation.... worked out at 32 weeks a year off!

Got away with it for 5 years.

Which was nice.

4 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

If you work FT, how many days leave do you receive each year?

I get 25 but recently been surprised to hear people talking about 30, 35. 

25. Can buy 10 and sell 5 on that so 20-35 depending on what I want to do. Plus public holidays ofc.

29, plus bank holidays, can buy/sell holiday, can take flexi days. This job has been a slight outlier - others have been 25, some adding extra days depending on length of service.