House Price Crash Forum

£95,000 cap on 'golden goodbyes' for public sector employees

HOLA441

£95,000 cap on 'golden goodbyes' for public sector employees

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/04/09/95000-cap-golden-goodbyes-public-sector-employees/

http://www.cityam.com/276041/public-sector-pay-offs-capped-95000-government-announces

This lot need sorting out too..

'Rich list' reveals 2,500 council bosses earning £100k - and some get six times that

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/rich-list-reveals-2-500-council-bosses-earning-140400286.html?guccounter=1

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA442

The move comes after taxpayers footed the bill for £1.2bn of departure payouts in 2016/17 – with almost £200m of that being paid in sums of at least £100,000.

So at least a billion from 1.2bn will be unchanged by this.

.... "clamp down on excessive exit payments" seems like the wrong description.

HOLA443

Latest issue of Private Eye covers 196K payoff to Anna Klonowski (ex chief Bristol CC)  in Sep 2017 - after she'd been in the job seven whole months (resigned - not made redundant)...

Remarkably, in these straitened times, 98K of that was 'discretionary' leaving one to wonder quite what the criteria were for qualification, and at whose 'discretion' it was (pals' no doubt).

How people have the gall to accept these payments when we're looking down the barrel of cuts to so many public services is quite beyond me - and quite why the payments are even offered in the first place is a mystery, because anyone who demands this kind of contractual payout - in addition to a handsome salary and benefits -  quite simply isn't entering public service for the right reasons IMO.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
2 hours ago, longgone said:

Week for every year should be the max

Thats effectively what lower and middle ranks get. My scam unlawful  redundancy from LG was one week for each year of service. 

Mind you I took them for unfair dismissal and represented a colleague, they lost and their costs were >100K and that was just visible costs so they might have been better to offer me an enhancement to leave on good terms?

I can't quite describe the pleasure one gets from cross examining your former boss and half of HR and there is no pulling of rank

HOLA448
2 hours ago, Council estate capitalist said:

There should be a £0 cap on public sector golden-goodbyes. Stat-redundancy only. 

All public sector contracts should be in a standard form to prevent prices being driven up between authorities.  Salary, Pension + Annual leave only. No weird "termination clauses" that give windfall payouts for leaving. 

Only the *****s at the top get that. 

HOLA449
5 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Thats effectively what lower and middle ranks get. My scam unlawful  redundancy from LG was one week for each year of service. 

Mind you I took them for unfair dismissal and represented a colleague, they lost and their costs were >100K and that was just visible costs so they might have been better to offer me an enhancement to leave on good terms?

I can't quite describe the pleasure one gets from cross examining your former boss and half of HR and there is no pulling of rank

i should of done the same  i got made redundant in 2006 after 6 years of service and everyone already knew who was going and who was staying yet they created some made up consultation process with all the employees.   was paid the legal minimum by them. 

i lost all respect for employers after this.

HOLA4410
2 hours ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Please try! It sounds awesome.

You are a barrister and were actually asking them questions in court?

HOLA4411
4 minutes ago, mrtickle said:

Please try! It sounds awesome.

You are a barrister and were actually asking them questions in court?

Nope. represented myself and a colleague at an Employment Tribunal. The Council employed a QC - they still lost. 

Prior to this I had spent 13 years working as an EHO, been a witness in court at least 15 times and lost count of the number of licensing hearings I attended and PACE interviews I conducted. 

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

They do want stopping, I hope if Brexit goes bad there's an emergency/panic budget which results in a mass reorganisation of Local Government which sorts it all out, I pay £1350 Council tax  for getting the bins emptied.

Don't forget the gold plated pensions, 6 months full pay 6 months half pay sickness entitlement .