House Price Crash Forum

Is Ed Sheeran the new Fergus Wilson?

HOLA441
HOLA442
11 minutes ago, juvenal said:

"a financial expert said: 'He's been incredibly shrewd by ploughing his money into property. And by focusing on London, where the market is still growing, he can charge top whack to renters.'"

Shrewd? Still growing? Still, they're right about "top whack" I guess. Even more reason to will a crash.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

In a December 2017 interview with The Sunday Times' "Culture" magazine, Sheeran spoke of his admiration for Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn. "I love Corbyn. I love everything Corbyn is about. And I feel people thought that, because I didn't put myself behind him, I wasn't a Corbyn supporter. He cares about other people. He cares about all classes, races and generations, and that's how I was brought up – we need more people that care about everyone."[185]

HOLA447
HOLA448

The year is 2040 and Sir Ed Sheeran is celebrating his second marriage on Holly Branson's Necker Island, recently rebuilt after devastating storms and high waters caused much destruction and several deaths. 

With a personal wealth of over £250mil, despite his divorce settlement, Sheeran credits his good fortune to Baal, the ancient deity to whom he regularly sacrifices goats, and to his extensive property portfolio which reaches across London. 

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
4 hours ago, Ghostly said:

If you’ve got £42m do you need to be “shrewd”? It’s more than enough to live off, spread over several banks, NS&I and some gold. No need for genius investments.

In the days when you can make more than £100m from a single tour, I suspect the £42m is just the small percentage of his wealth that his money managers have decided should be invested in property.

Debatable if he is even aware he is investing in property.

HOLA4412
4 hours ago, juvenal said:

In a December 2017 interview with The Sunday Times' "Culture" magazine, Sheeran spoke of his admiration for Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn. "I love Corbyn. I love everything Corbyn is about. And I feel people thought that, because I didn't put myself behind him, I wasn't a Corbyn supporter. He cares about other people. He cares about all classes, races and generations, and that's how I was brought up – we need more people that care about everyone."[185]

every celebrity must shout and beat the lefty drum. if you dont it can and will affect your fanbase and thus your income. it dont matter what you really thing thats not the purpose of saying it, nobody knows how you vote. but you must be seen to be anit right, pro immigration, globalist because the left are supposed to care the right are nasty and racist. when in all honesty i see the opposite to be true. 

so sheeren shouts for corbyn while stashing his wealth in property and offshore accounts. and most likely votes conservative. and i bet lilly allen dont just give the money away either

Edited by jimmy2x3

HOLA4413
18 hours ago, juvenal said:

I've been following the Fame and Fortune column for years. 70-80 percent of celebrities featured rate property as their best ever investment. The great majority own multiple properties.

As I said in another post, you'd have to be extremely unlucky to sell your house for less than you bought it for, at almost any time in the last couple of decades.  There was a short, maybe 1.5 years window in which had you bought and  sold you'd have lost up to 20%.   Any other time and you stood to win, and win big in many cases.

This creates a public mentality of 'can't lose with bricks and mortar' that is hard to argue against and given how the authorities have done everything that they can to keep the prices rising (financial repression, HTB, shared ownership etc) the general public may well be right.

On the other hand, investing in a portfolio of properties means you have to be pretty committed to spend money on a decent manager to take care of it all and are horribly exposed should the market turn.  There again, as long as it keeps rising you are going to rake in rents and capital gains when you sell.

HOLA4414
On 28/03/2019 at 21:55, longgone said:

Shrewd is buying worthless land and making it worth 100x more than paid. 

Rich bloke spends some money on houses wow who would think of that.

Yes

Builds houses good.

but no just pies into already crowded bubble market..on the way down.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
On 28/03/2019 at 19:52, juvenal said:

Yes...that's why he is hoarding housing. Perhaps he is hoarding food too.