House Price Crash Forum
PeanutButter

House-hunting in Silicon Valley: tech's newly rich fuel a spectacle of excess

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/mar/27/silicon-valley-tech-wealth-real-estate

In Silicon Valley, an open house can be more than an open house. At a six-bedroom, seven-bath home in the town of Menlo Park, a flamenco dancer swirled and a guitarist fingerpicked in a kitchen alcove. Outside, pesto pizza was pulled from the pizza oven. A face painter splotched unicorns on pudgy cheeks. A barista whipped up lattes. There were squishy toys for kids and videos of the house for potential homebuyers, who could keep the video-players.

“We mailed brochures to 5,000 homes, including one entirely in Mandarin,” said Michael Repka, CEO of DeLeon Realty, who padded around the house, along with everyone else, in booties, so as not to scratch the wood floors. Three days later, the Flamenco dancing paid off. The house sold for $6.82m, which was $332,000 above the asking price.

Sales like this may be a harbinger. As the tech companies Uber, Airbnb, Lyft and Pinterest prepare to go public, thousands more instant millionaires are expected to flood the market in San Francisco and Silicon Valley. All the while, the middle class and working poor are scrambling for shelter.

Half the world’s tech billionaires live in Silicon Valley. The culture they created has “distortions that are very analogous to the industrial revolution,” said Cary McClelland, author of the new book Silicon City: San Francisco in the Long Shadow of the Valley. The Zuckerbergs and Musks are today’s Carnegies and Rockefellers. And the low-wage drivers at Lyft and Uber are the factory workers “who worked unprotected, from dawn to dusk”, he said.

Edited by PeanutButter

Hmmm, what actual added value have a lot of the Silicon Valley tech startups actually contributed to humanity?

Increased convenience like things that you can now do from a mobile phone or computer - sure.

Lots more distractions from everyday life thanks to social media and streaming media services, yep.

But few things that make people's lives tangibly better unlike the industrial revolution or  advances in medicine have done in the past.   Lots of distortions and disruptions  (both local to Silicon Valley and globally)  caused by them though.  Not to mention the fact that social media seems to be detrimental to mental health.  And let's not get into the censorship and manipulation of opinions in line with their own leftist beliefs that they have imposed, we seem to be heading faster towards a dystopian future which is a cross of Orwell and Huxley thanks to their voracious appetite for destroying privacy and collecting as much data as they possibly can.

45 minutes ago, Sour Mash said:

Hmmm, what actual added value have a lot of the Silicon Valley tech startups actually contributed to humanity?

Increased convenience like things that you can now do from a mobile phone or computer - sure.

Lots more distractions from everyday life thanks to social media and streaming media services, yep.

But few things that make people's lives tangibly better unlike the industrial revolution or  advances in medicine have done in the past.   Lots of distortions and disruptions  (both local to Silicon Valley and globally)  caused by them though.  Not to mention the fact that social media seems to be detrimental to mental health.  And let's not get into the censorship and manipulation of opinions in line with their own leftist beliefs that they have imposed, we seem to be heading faster towards a dystopian future which is a cross of Orwell and Huxley thanks to their voracious appetite for destroying privacy and collecting as much data as they possibly can.

Some of these companies haven't even made a profit yet. 

Tech gurus don’t let their kids have smartphones. Here’s why

As for leftist views - you're aware freedom of speech doesn't apply to private companies? They're allowed to boot anyone off that they want and there are plenty of 'free speech' start ups covering the same hysterical terrain (the Nazis love Gab). 

Facebook and Twitter effectively have a lock on social media.  There are few/no comparable sites should you get banned from discourse on them.   The internet has effectively become very centralised - exactly the opposite of what made it great and encouraged people to get on it in the first place.

So 'go elsewhere' rings rather hollow - especially when the authoritarian lefties who lobby for 'wrong thinkers' to be censored also then go after any other sites that comply with the effort to shut down all non-left speech  ... the likes of bitchute and gab have been ostracised from payment procesors and domain registrars and find it very hard to operate.  Plus of course, the mainstream sources obligingly label any site that doesn't toe the PC line and allows anyone to speak as 'alt-right' or 'nazi' .... something which you seem to have picked up too.

4 hours ago, Sour Mash said:

Facebook and Twitter effectively have a lock on social media.  There are few/no comparable sites should you get banned from discourse on them.   The internet has effectively become very centralised - exactly the opposite of what made it great and encouraged people to get on it in the first place.

So 'go elsewhere' rings rather hollow - especially when the authoritarian lefties who lobby for 'wrong thinkers' to be censored also then go after any other sites that comply with the effort to shut down all non-left speech  ... the likes of bitchute and gab have been ostracised from payment procesors and domain registrars and find it very hard to operate.  Plus of course, the mainstream sources obligingly label any site that doesn't toe the PC line and allows anyone to speak as 'alt-right' or 'nazi' .... something which you seem to have picked up too.

No I call it Nazi because I see Nazis posting on it - quite simple really. Go to reddit, 4chan, 8chan. Wherever there is social media there are people who decide that the platform is best used to spread hatred and get oh so hysterical when the owners assert their lawful right to boot them.

If the internet isn’t to your liking then design something that is, it’s hardly impossible. Like the dark net for pedos.

The funniest thing is how everyone knows all the views of people who claim their free speech is being impinged.

How that happens when they’re so utterly dreadfully silenced is quite a wonder.

1 hour ago, PeanutButter said:

No I call it Nazi because I see Nazis posting on it - quite simple really. Go to reddit, 4chan, 8chan. Wherever there is social media there are people who decide that the platform is best used to spread hatred and get oh so hysterical when the owners assert their lawful right to boot them.

If the internet isn’t to your liking then design something that is, it’s hardly impossible. Like the dark net for pedos.

The funniest thing is how everyone knows all the views of people who claim their free speech is being impinged.

I do encourage everyone to visit 4chan. Then you'll realise Nazis haven't existed for 60 years and some people just think that multiculturalism has failed all of us.

So yes, do visit 4chan and see the horror for yourself, don't just take the word of the "diversity is are strengf" clones.

The funniest thing is how all the views of people who claim their free speech is being impinged are simply dismissed as Nazis. The push back is going to be biblical. I can't wait.

19 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

The issue at stake is free speech and the ability of a relatively small group of corporations to control what is being said.   Defending free speech does NOT mean you support or endorse whatever people have to say.

For better or worse, social media is increasingly where the public gets the information that forms their opinions.  To have it subject to the whim of what looks like a leftish cult in Silicon Valley who are in bed with the authorities  is highly alarming.

As for actual 'Nazis', they make up a vanishingly small proportion of the population.  There's no shortage of lefties immediately labeling anyone who expresses an opinion to the right of them as a 'Nazi' though.

On 29/03/2019 at 13:34, Sour Mash said:

The issue at stake is free speech and the ability of a relatively small group of corporations to control what is being said.   Defending free speech does NOT mean you support or endorse whatever people have to say.

For better or worse, social media is increasingly where the public gets the information that forms their opinions.  To have it subject to the whim of what looks like a leftish cult in Silicon Valley who are in bed with the authorities  is highly alarming.

As for actual 'Nazis', they make up a vanishingly small proportion of the population.  There's no shortage of lefties immediately labeling anyone who expresses an opinion to the right of them as a 'Nazi' though.

Do you personally feel your right to express your views is being oppressed? Or is it more that you don't like people disagreeing with your views?

I'm genuinely curious.

1 hour ago, dugsbody said:

Do you personally feel your right to express your views is being oppressed? Or is it more that you don't like people disagreeing with your views?

Facebook, Twitter, Google and others are doing everything they can to censor right-wing views (i.e. the views of the majority of Americans). This is not exactly news, it's widely discussed and widely known; only the other week a study claimed that Google's censorship of right-wing results in its search engine may have lost the Republicans several seats in the 2018 election

Those companies only exist because of the cheap credit bubble created by the US government, then they set out to censor Americans. Probably because Silicon Valley is mostly run by foreigners thanks to massive abuse of the H1B visa.

Not only that, but when the right set up competing services, the Silicon Valley Mafia do everything they can to get those services shut down.

Few, if any, of these companies do anything productive that actually contributes to the economy. Shut them all down.

And it's the left who can't stand people disagreeing with them, because their ideology falls apart whenever it's questioned. If they can't control The Narrative, they lose... which is why they're so desperate to get that control back through censorship.

Edit: oh, yeah, and Suckerberg is apparently now calling for global regulation of the Internet, so the right will have nowhere to go.

Edited by MarkG

1 hour ago, dugsbody said:

I'm genuinely curious.

I disagree with the trend to 'de platform' anyone who doesn't fit in with the current fad for political correctness.  That starts on social media services but spreads to the general media and can end up with people losing jobs and having their lives ruined.

The tendency of the far-leftists to immediately label anyone who disagrees with them as 'racist/ bigoted/ homophobic/ xenophobic' or whatever ridiculous OTT epithet they can think up is also very disturbing in a number ways, in a democratic society where we should be able to have free speech and vigorous debate.

1 hour ago, Sour Mash said:

I disagree with the trend to 'de platform' anyone who doesn't fit in with the current fad for political correctness.  That starts on social media services but spreads to the general media and can end up with people losing jobs and having their lives ruined.

The tendency of the far-leftists to immediately label anyone who disagrees with them as 'racist/ bigoted/ homophobic/ xenophobic' or whatever ridiculous OTT epithet they can think up is also very disturbing in a number ways, in a democratic society where we should be able to have free speech and vigorous debate.

I feel you might be overstating how oppressed you are.

2 hours ago, MarkG said:

Facebook, Twitter, Google and others are doing everything they can to censor right-wing views (i.e. the views of the majority of Americans). This is not exactly news, it's widely discussed and widely known; only the other week a study claimed that Google's censorship of right-wing results in its search engine may have lost the Republicans several seats in the 2018 election

Those companies only exist because of the cheap credit bubble created by the US government, then they set out to censor Americans. Probably because Silicon Valley is mostly run by foreigners thanks to massive abuse of the H1B visa.

Not only that, but when the right set up competing services, the Silicon Valley Mafia do everything they can to get those services shut down.

Few, if any, of these companies do anything productive that actually contributes to the economy. Shut them all down.

And it's the left who can't stand people disagreeing with them, because their ideology falls apart whenever it's questioned. If they can't control The Narrative, they lose... which is why they're so desperate to get that control back through censorship.

Edit: oh, yeah, and Suckerberg is apparently now calling for global regulation of the Internet, so the right will have nowhere to go.

That is an interesting view. Is it impacting you, or do you just object in theory that people like Tommy Robinson are not allowed to promote hatred on private platforms?

On 28/03/2019 at 20:15, chronyx said:

I do encourage everyone to visit 4chan. Then you'll realise Nazis haven't existed for 60 years and some people just think that multiculturalism has failed all of us.

So yes, do visit 4chan and see the horror for yourself, don't just take the word of the "diversity is are strengf" clones.

The funniest thing is how all the views of people who claim their free speech is being impinged are simply dismissed as Nazis. The push back is going to be biblical. I can't wait.

/britpol/ poster detected ;)

8 minutes ago, APerson said:

/britpol/ poster detected ;)

More of a lurker - there's a lot of utter drivel and shilling that gets posted too, but some real gems hidden away - which I much prefer to the spoonfed pre-digested NPC media!

I'll never understand how the same people who go (Rightly) apoplectic about the media ramping HPI, suddenly come over all egalitarian when people suggest they lie about many other things as well.  Nowt as non-gender specific as folk...

Edited by chronyx

19 hours ago, dugsbody said:

I feel you might be overstating how oppressed you are.

I feel like I'd be more likely to bother to consider continuing this 'exchange of opinions'  if you actually debated me/ answer points  instead of making generic, antagonistic jibes.  I suppose I should count myself lucky you haven't accused me of being a Nazi or something.

Edited by Sour Mash

Meanwhile, in a strangely topical twist:

https://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-facebook-housing-discrimination-charges-20190328-story.html

The Department of Housing and Urban Development alerted Twitter Inc. and Alphabet Inc.’s Google last year that it is scrutinizing their practices for possible housing discrimination, a sign that more technology companies could be ensnared in a government probe of their lucrative demographic ad targeting tools, according to three people with direct knowledge of the agency’s actions.

HUD charged Facebook Inc. with housing discrimination Thursday, alleging the social networking giant’s targeted advertising platform violates the Fair Housing Act by “encouraging, enabling, and causing” unlawful discrimination by restricting who can view housing ads.

Given that the whole point of Facebook and other 'free' services is to extract as much personal info as possible in order to sell to advertisers and other third parties, I don't see how it couldn't be construed as 'enabling' preferential advertising.  Pretty embarasing for a company that prides itself on virtue signalling. 🙄

3 hours ago, Sour Mash said:

I feel like I'd be more likely to bother to consider continuing this 'exchange of opinions'  if you actually debated me/ answer points  instead of making generic, antagonistic jibes.  I suppose I should count myself lucky you haven't accused me of being a Nazi or something.

It's quite hard to debate stuff that is just opinions. I could give it a go, but I was more interested in if you, personally, feel your right to an opinion or a view is being oppressed and how has that manifested.

10 hours ago, dugsbody said:

It's quite hard to debate stuff that is just opinions. I could give it a go, but I was more interested in if you, personally, feel your right to an opinion or a view is being oppressed and how has that manifested.

MAGA hat boys raging against the injustice of little black sambo being removed from the marmalade jar.

12 hours ago, dugsbody said:

The issue here is general freedom of speech, not whether or not my personal opinions have been censored or whatever.  I'm finding it strange that you are trying to make it so personal but I guess it's easier to make a strawman  than debate points.

There's no matter of 'opinion' about tech censorship and freedom of speech being suppressed - unpopular points of view are simply being expunged by an effective technological monopoly of a few silicon valley companies, which now seems to be fully in tune with the establishment media and pushing agendas.  Whether or not those views are 'offensive' isn't the point.

On 28/03/2019 at 18:11, PeanutButter said:

How do you know what you don't know?

On 31/03/2019 at 19:50, Sour Mash said:

Let's talk about the tendency to label :D

'Cucks'

'Libs'

'Leftists'

'Snowflakes'

Pray tell when EXACTLY do we get to call someone a Nazi? I think we should be given a very specific set of guidelines so we all know where we stand. Wouldn't want to offend any snowflakes. :D 

On 31/03/2019 at 19:00, MarkG said:

Google, Microsoft, Apple, etc, are the most potent fonts of information and knowledge ever devised, even if they're relatively ephemeral institutions.

The real danger here is that while it seems Ok if they go after Alex Jones and Neo-Nazis, there is the ongoing problem that digital censorship is becoming way too centralised and arbitrary in what's offensive, and we'll end up with this:

'Fer Christ sake we've got Liam Neeson in hot water for more or less harbouring ugly thoughts.

3 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Let's talk about the tendency to label :D

'Cucks'

'Libs'

'Leftists'

'Snowflakes'

Pray tell when EXACTLY do we get to call someone a Nazi? I think we should be given a very specific set of guidelines so we all know where we stand. Wouldn't want to offend any snowflakes. :D 

OK, so the pro-censorship faction still not actually answering any of the points about Silicon Valley censorship.

My guess is that you actually think it's quite a good idea as it broadly hits people that you don't agree with, a rather sad short-sighted POV to see from a HPC poster ... This forum usually attracts people with a better level of independent and critical thinking.

Good luck with cheerleading the silencing of people who you don't agree with - I'm sure that normalising censorship will never come back to bite you. 

Edited by Sour Mash

28 minutes ago, Sour Mash said:

OK, so the pro-censorship faction still not actually answering any of the points about Silicon Valley censorship.

My guess is that you actually think it's quite a good idea as it broadly hits people that you don't agree with, a rather sad short-sighted POV to see from a HPC poster ... This forum usually attracts people with a better level of independent and critical thinking.

Good luck with cheerleading the silencing of people who you don't agree with - I'm sure that normalising censorship will never come back to bite you. 

Ooh neg me harder daddy.