House Price Crash Forum
chronyx

Do you like where you live?

Do you like where you live?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like where you live?

• Yes
    • No

Don't think I've ever really seen this discussed - I've kept the question deliberately vague.  Don't care if you own, rent, or have a mortgage.  Don't care where you live.

I'm just interested in the aggregate view.

(I voted No) 

Edited by chronyx

Yes, but I think it’s largely tied to the type of people in your surroundings. I see more and more knackers everyday, anti-social and inconsiderate behaviour. That affects the enjoyment of my surroundings. Overall positive for where I am now though.

10 minutes ago, Ghostly said:

Yes, but I think it’s largely tied to the type of people in your surroundings. I see more and more knackers everyday, anti-social and inconsiderate behaviour. That affects the enjoyment of my surroundings. Overall positive for where I am now though.

Yes my neighbours are wonderful, luckily.

Edited by chronyx

Yes, because people when diving use their indicators and never double park........always an orderly queue, look up when walking by.....sometimes even greet and smile......everyone accepts cash.;)

Just now, winkie said:

Yes, because people when diving use their indicators and never double park........always an orderly queue, look up when walking by.....sometimes even greet and smile......everyone accepts cash.;)

I guess I forgot to say the 'when' you live in - it has to be present day UK. :D;)

Noise. Parking. Dilapidation.  Over crowding. The four horsemen of miserable housing.

Yes.

10 minutes from a Nature Reserve (where I work, so double lucky me)

Gorgeous cycling/walking everywhere

Open views that go on for miles

Lovely, lovely housemate with lovely, lovely dogs.

Which is why I refuse to use my entire live savings and debt myself up to the eyeballs to swap all this for a 2-bed ex-BTL dump just for the kudos of declaring myself "owner-occupier" again when I'm filling in forms.

1 minute ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Yes.

10 minutes from a Nature Reserve (where I work, so double lucky me)

Gorgeous cycling/walking everywhere

Open views that go on for miles

Lovely, lovely housemate with lovely, lovely dogs.

Which is why I refuse to use my entire live savings and debt myself up to the eyeballs to swap all this for a 2-bed ex-BTL dump just for the kudos of declaring myself "owner-occupier" again when I'm filling in forms.

Sounds wonderful :)

I love where I live, but I am up North.  I am sure if I lived in London my housing situation would not be as fortunate.

Interesting question, the answer is no, this is an inner city area that used to be very rough it has now been gentrified by hipsters, who ignore me. As I am poor working class.

The only redeeming feature is all the incredible free things in london, the free museums, the free food, the free alcohol.

Moved to present location to take up a new job in the early part of this decade. Never lived anywhere with so much litter. Also extremes of wealth - there are some very rough parts of town, within walking distance of very exclusive areas. The town has increasingly become caught up in the capital's orbit. We know several London 'refugees' who have relocated here but visit friends, family etc in the capital every weekend.

2 hours ago, prozac said:

Interesting question, the answer is no, this is an inner city area that used to be very rough it has now been gentrified by hipsters, who ignore me. As I am poor working class.

The only redeeming feature is all the incredible free things in london, the free museums, the free food, the free alcohol.

Must be better to be a poor person in a rich place than a rich person in a poor place.....what you haven't got, nobody can steal from you.....everything you need can be got from the waste and extravagance of others around you that know little and value less.;)

Area - yes

Housing - yes, finally (my first purchase)

But overall: a year into moving to a new area I'm finding it really hard to build a new social network. I work from home. I can't remember the last time I had a long, non-work related conversation with another adult over a pint. And in happiness terms I suspect in the long term that's more important than good location and good housing. 

14 minutes ago, RentingForever said:

Area - yes

But overall: a year into moving to a new area I'm finding it really hard to build a new social network. I work from home. I can't remember the last time I had a long, non-work related conversation with another adult over a pint. And in happiness terms I suspect in the long term that's more important than good location and good housing. 

I can help here.  Take up a hobby that bores people who don't indulge in it rigid and join a local club.  People who are into it - well you won't shut them up because they so happy when they find someone genuinely interested!
My weapons of choice are running and motorcycling.  Running is especially boring to anyone who doesn't partake 🙂 but you will have epic conversations with other runners (and swimmers and cyclists).
Any real biker who actually rides in varied situations and conditions (not just on dry days to Sunday meetups) can talk to ANY other kindred biker, anywhere in the world.  Nothing binds people together like mortal danger. 

2 hours ago, crazypabs said:

Area - yes

Property - NO

Same for me. I like my area, but so do a lot of other people so it is too expensive to buy anything halfway decent.

That's not to say the area hasn't changed in the time I have lived here (for better and for worse).

21 minutes ago, RentingForever said:

Area - yes

Community is very important......a community where you feel safe to be yourself, be who you are, knowing that not everyone will necessarily always agree with you, respect differences and friendship/connection both ways....learning from each other.;)

4 minutes ago, winkie said:

Community is very important......a community where you feel safe to be yourself, be who you are, knowing that not everyone will necessarily always agree with you, respect differences and friendship/connection both ways....learning from each other.;)

It's an old-fashioned concept that belongs in the past that we all need to work very hard to get rid of. At least that's the conclusion I draw from the direction people appear to be pushing the world.

Yes happy with area and flat.  40 mins from Central London.  2 tube stations within 9 mins walk.  Quiet block with nice neighbours 4 mins walk from an immaculate park, 10 mins walk from large green spaces and woods.
Rent is expensive, £1265pcm.  Its the cost of doing business.  Basically all the extra salary I get for working in the City is handed on to my landlord.  But I'm not complaining, I really appreciate living in one of the nicest parts of London, having an interesting job and access to all the free events, museums and galleries, and ability to be asleep in my own bed in less than an hour after an evening out in the centre.    There are a lot of sh_tty area in London.  It doesn't bother me.  I don't frequent them.

Edited by hotblack42
clarification

1 minute ago, Riedquat said:

It's an old-fashioned concept that belongs in the past that we all need to work very hard to get rid of. At least that's the conclusion I draw from the direction people appear to be pushing the world.

You know why.....think about it, big business does not make money from people talking, they make money from monthly entertainment ,game, gambling, addiction subcriptions £2 a month......walking is free, talking is free, air is free and nature is free.....a smile is free, on trust.....£0 a month.;)

....social anxiety is a growing problem, because people very often are scared of rejection, insecurities, they think they need to live up to something that is non achievable......always be those above and those below, everyone is in the middle, your fear is the same as the next person, some are just better at hiding it....;)

1 hour ago, winkie said:

Must be better to be a poor person in a rich place than a rich person in a poor place.....what you haven't got, nobody can steal from you.....everything you need can be got from the waste and extravagance of others around you that know little and value less.;)

Thanks a lesser mortal would consider that an insult, but I have more than a £100k in savings, my profile is poor, I sometimes wear clothes with holes in to see people’s reaction.

When I wear a blazer people give me things for free but not when I wear clothes with holes in.

I have created a profile on LinkedIn that implies I purchase works of new artists, so get invited to free drinkypoos

i also created a profile on meetup that implies I invest in startups, so more free food and alcohol 

Why pay when people give to you for free, I use my own money to go on five star holidays

Edited by prozac