House Price Crash Forum
leoriz

What are my option if house is sold to someone else with lower offer than mine

Hi, I put an offer on a house for 175K which was rejected. I was very keen to buy that property and wanted to put higher offer however I was told by the estate agent to wait for 6 weeks and see how property does in the market. I left it there and kept checking with estate agent every week if they had any offers. On the week 6 when i called to check i was told that property was sold to some else. I asked why i was not told about it. They apologized and offered me an opportunity to put an offer on the property. I raised my offers by 10k each and went up to 250K. All of my offers were rejected. I have got feeling that property was sold to someone for less than my highest offer and I was deliberately kept out of the sale process. 

No body lives in the property and it is sold by a solicitor on behalf of deceased owner. 

In this scenario what are my options, what can i do? Any idea will be helpful. 

The agents are obligated under the estate agents act to pass on all offers in writing to the sellers and to you. 

If you can prove that they didn't then you can complain to the tpos. Not that will change anything.

7 hours ago, crazypabs said:

The agents are obligated under the estate agents act to pass on all offers in writing to the sellers and to you. 

If you can prove that they didn't then you can complain to the tpos. Not that will change anything.

Thats a requirement of the Code of Practice from the property ombudsman it does not have any legal weight, unfortunately the vast majority of estate agents are not members of the TPO so they can do what they want.

Self regulation eh, the suckers fall for it every time.

What is your situation and what is the situation of the successful bidder? If you have a long chain and the other person is a cash buyer that could have had an influence. If the EA refused to pass on the bid (which it doesn't sound like they did, you just chose not to insist) you could have written a letter to the vendor with your offer and explained the EA refused your bid.

An estate agent telling you not to put in a higher offer?

Sounds a bit like they had plans to buy it themselves, or sell to one of their mates/regular property developers.

How much was it listed for?